• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I see this as the result of improper CPR rather than abuse. Could be wrong, but everything injured is likely within one hand width of an adult.

I have seen hundreds of patients arrive after CPR. I've seen a mainstem bronchus torn off. Frequently rib fx, sternal fractures, popped lungs, and a spleen injury.

Most abuse to kids is on the head/face/extremities. But this guy what, drop kicked the kid in the chest? Palm strike? He said he called 911 and was doing CPR. Going to be very difficult to convict I think unless there's more to the story that we don't know.

We just had a cop lift a car off a woman to save her life. Adrenaline is an amazing thing.

Even the title of this post is placing this story inside a typical narrative, prejudicing those who will read it, or sit on a jury.
    Yours is a fair assessment, as are those who had the wisdom to know that CPR could be responsible for some of the Childs injuries. It`s too emotional and too easy to jump to conclusions when a little one is hurt or killed. The report does say however that there were also "injuries to the neck, consistent with abuse".
    A jury, if this goes there, will have the benefit of facts and information we`ll never have or know. You`re correct though, and I`ve learned a lesson that I should have already known; sift through the emotion when making a judgment on anything in the news media.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Doesn't CPR cause a fractured sternum?

It doesn't explain the rest of the damage. I'm not trying to excuse the guy.
    But I thought CPR causes damage, even if done right.
    So I don't see listing that damage.
    it can but much more likely to cause that is a punch from a 27yr old man into the chest of a 17 month old.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The report does say however that there were also "injuries to the neck, consistent with abuse".
    It said EMS was concerned about that. Then also said autopsy confirmed. I dunno....

"First responders found bruising to Aiden’s neck and chest that they believed was indicative of “some type of abuse,” police said, according to WANE. That was confirmed in an autopsy performed Tuesday.

The coroner ruled Aiden died from blunt force injuries to the chest, calling the death a homicide.

I'm not a forensic pathologist and I'm not sure what they saw to indicate these injuries were abuse. Clearly we need a high index of suspicion for child abuse. Was there ligature marks? finger shaped bruises on the neck?

Find a 17month old kid and put your hand on its sternum with fingers pointing to the head. Are your fingers on the neck? How were the guy's hands positioned for CPR? Did he know to do it single handed and perpendicular to the sternum? Did the average INGOer know one-handed CPR is usually recommended for a 17mo?

Not saying it wasn't abuse, but i'd want to be very sure before convicting of murder as he's charged.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have felt cartilage give way while doing CPR. Just one quick "crunch." Yes he was old. No he didn't make it. Thankful never had to deal with CPR on a kid.
    i had that Monday. sickening feeling. push hard enough to depress chest 1/3 to 1/2 way to spine. Push quickly and release quickly to allow the recoil to pull blood back to heart.

Good on you for trying. Many dont. If a person is in cardiac arrest in the community it's expected that they will die. But if you are able to help you have a chance to save a life and be a hero. :cheers:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Two three problems with this. Obviously bail is NOT oppressive - there shouldn't have been any set at all. Secondly, no homicide charges filed. Um, it's pretty obvious that the child didn't injure himself. Thirdly and not mentioned, why is the egg donor (I refuse to call her a mother) not being charged with child endangerment at the very least, and possibly as an accomplice to murder?
    I'll address 2 and 3. Homicide charges can always be added later if justified, and for the mother to be charged it would require I believe for them to show she had previous knowledge of the danger.
    The guy deserves a fair trial. I hope he gets one.

We don't know what happened, but it is reasonable that we see what looks like the murder of a child and we want to kill the thing that did it.
    Agreed.

It said EMS was concerned about that. Then also said autopsy confirmed. I dunno....

"First responders found bruising to Aiden’s neck and chest that they believed was indicative of “some type of abuse,” police said, according to WANE. That was confirmed in an autopsy performed Tuesday.

The coroner ruled Aiden died from blunt force injuries to the chest, calling the death a homicide.

I'm not a forensic pathologist and I'm not sure what they saw to indicate these injuries were abuse. Clearly we need a high index of suspicion for child abuse. Was there ligature marks? finger shaped bruises on the neck?

Find a 17month old kid and put your hand on its sternum with fingers pointing to the head. Are your fingers on the neck? How were the guy's hands positioned for CPR? Did he know to do it single handed and perpendicular to the sternum? Did the average INGOer know one-handed CPR is usually recommended for a 17mo?

Not saying it wasn't abuse, but i'd want to be very sure before convicting of murder as he's charged.
    One thing I'm wondering, it says the first responders noticed the bruising. How long does it usually take for bruising to become noticeable? I know on me it takes quite a while, no idea on infants or if the severity of the injury influences it.

In the police report the coroner stated homicide caused by blunt injury, it doesn't say that the coroner stated abuse.

And I will say I had no idea that one handed CPR is usually recommended. Or even at all. I do know that for the heimleich you don't use your full hand, 2-3 fingers iirc.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No, it doesn't if done correctly. Been there, done that, with DoggyMama's daughter in our driveway.
    Just guessing, but the guy doesn't look like he knows how to do it correctly.

So, either he really, really, f'ed up a resuscitation, or he called 911 to cover up a severe beating and death.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Just heard on WIBC That homicide charges have just been filed and he will picked back up and taken back to jail where he belongs. Hopefully a welcoming committee will be waiting

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is more than a little disturbing.
    "A dispatcher overheard Rowe say, “Why did she leave me in the house like this?” the affidavit said."

And since they've now upgraded the charges to include murder, it sounds like there was more going on than a botched CPR attempt. Hopefully the truth will come out.

He could say the same thing if he was attempting CPR.
    Scared. Left with someone else's kid. Thinking they're dying.

I'm not saying he's guilty or innocent.
    I'd want to hear what "experts" say.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Yeah, for all we know there was a hand-shaped bruise on the neck from being strangled to death and the CPR was a clumsy attempt to cover it up. We just don't have the details.

Presumably the new arrest and charges indicate that the authorities have some level of confidence in the case they're going to make. That's not evidence in itself, though. I'm gonna shelve judgement until more info is forthcoming because right now there are multiple narratives that could be correct.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    i wondered about bruising also. But if the heart was ruptured it would probably bruise pretty damn fast as the blood spread through the mediastinum into the skin of the neck
    Thanks much for your input.
    He could say the same thing if he was attempting CPR.
    Scared. Left with someone else's kid. Thinking they're dying.

I'm not saying he's guilty or innocent.
    I'd want to hear what "experts" say.
    Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want to hear what would come out of my mouth in a situation like that.

And like you I'm not saying guilty or innocent.

Top Bottom