• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was talking to another detective today and somehow we got to talking about failed suicide attempts we'd run across over the years. He told me about one of his cases where a guy had put a .25 under his chin about half way between the tip of the chin and the neck, and pulled the trigger. It went through the skin, made a real mess of his tongue...and then lodged in his soft palate. This apparently made talking a real chore and when he decided he'd call 911 instead of trying to finish the job it was dispatched as "person mumbling and screaming into phone." The guy was bleeding from the mouth and while officers knew he was hurt couldn't figure out what had happened. He eventually explained himself by pantomiming shooting himself in the chin, which they weren't originally sure if they should believe, you know, because that should probably kill you.

Ladies and gentleman, do not carry a .25. If you can't afford anything better get a knife and a training video until you can. It is not better than nothing. Nothing doesn't make you think you can now handle a situation you are woefully unprepared for. If it will fail to incapacitate when jammed into the bottom of the mouth and fired up toward the brain box, don't give me the old "shot placement" argument.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    meh, ive been taught that the optimal shot placement on a persons head is the ocular and nasal cavities...theyre the most "receptive".....the skull is fairly well built

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I saw a pic at some time in the past of a guy who did the same thing with some type of magnum handgun. It split his skull/face in two. He did not survive.

I totally agree about the .25. I carried one in my high school years in the 60's without knowing how wimpy it was. It only cost me twenty bucks though and I was stabbed once on my paper route before I got it. Never again afterward. But then "they" burned down the neighborhood in North Minneapolis in 1968 and my family moved away. I have carried some type of handgun ever since. Everywhere.

Plenty of 22's never a .25 again.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You get failed suicide attempts with 20 and 12 gauge shotguns. This is more of a plan failing instead of a caliber

Yeaahh, but its a numbers game. If you failed to kill yourself with a 12g you did it real wrong. Tuck it under your chin and aim toward the soft palate with a shotty and you're going to get it done. Aim too far forward, and you may just have severe issues with your jaw from then on.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    If your going to do it do it right. Hang yourself under your arms so you wont collapse, remove the trigger assembly from a 240, and kickstart that thing.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My grandfather possibly survived because of a .25 that struck a German soldier in the forehead in WW2. I can dig up my post if you want. German soldier lived. Round bounced off his forehead knocking him stupid. Cigs and spam sammiches shared before MP showed up. I even have the gun the story is attached too.

My uncle tried to attempt suicide with a 12ga.

He flinched and the shot grazed his head. Bad scar, but alive.

I don't carry a .25 for defense. But it's better than nothing.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    But how can this be? We all know that caliber doesn't matter and shot placement is key. Anyone shot anywhere in the head should be killed instantly right? I read it on the internet, they can't put anything on the internet if it isn't true.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think I will take Ol Blue's advice and not carry a 25 acp. In fact I am no longer interested in any of the "mouse guns". I personally don't even own an ultra small pocket rocket auto.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I don't tell anyone what or how to carry. That's a personal decision based upon an individual's experience and whatever knowledge they have gleaned from various sources. Carry whatever and however it makes you comfy. I will just say how and what I carry. I have gotten away from sub-caliber guns. I don't rule them out for the future but for now I am sticking with 9mm.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You get failed suicide attempts with 20 and 12 gauge shotguns. This is more of a plan failing instead of a caliber

I was on duty as a hospital Chaplin, I saw one shotgun suicide. There was no back on his head and the neck vertabre was missing. I do not know how a shotgun suicide could fail with that much energy. I had to preside while the Law officers had the mother ID the body. Not a fun day.

There are two men in Lafayette that I know personally that tried to do themselves with a 9mm. One lost an eye. Both of them are still able to drive to work.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I've never really understood the appeal of the tiny pocket guns... especially since a Glock 26 or a Glock 36 are only a little bigger... but pack a substantially more effective round.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Several years ago a women was mugged and raped in Central Park. She woke up and walked to the ER. She kept complaining her mouth hurt and she had a headache. After ex rays was done. they found 6- 25 auto bullets stuck in the roof of her mouth. she was told to leave them alone and let them heal she would be fine.

Top Bottom