• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I remember one in Wa state I responded too, guy named "Dave". He qand his wife always arguing, we responded to a bunch of domestic calls there. This one evening my partner and I responded to Daves house again. Met his wife (cant remember her name) in the neighbors driveway, she said Dave was in the mastrer bedroom with his 12 gage shotgun. We drew our pistols and calling out to Dave to put down the shotgun and come out of the bedroom, we took up positions monitoring the hallway that led to the master bedroom and kept calling for Dave to drop trhe shotgun and come out with his hands up. Nothing..no reply, no sound, no nothing. Slowly we moved down the hall and from a safe position we could see what appeared to be Dave sitting on the bed upright with his 12 ga between his legs, and his hands on the trigger area. We just could see that, legs, gun, work boots, pants and hands. We kept talking to Dave, put the gun down, stand up, come out with your hands up.......do it NOW !!!

Nothing, no answer, no nothing, no reply. (Dave was a hot head to deal with in the past, a stubborn streak in him a mile long) so we waited, and we waited, the sun went down, the bedroom light was on, stil it looked like a Mexican stand off with our ol buddy Dave, I was getting tired of holding my position overwatching him. Finaly we had a team assembled, a shield in place, but we took a full leangth mirror off a wall, and slowly inched it into the bedroom for a better view.

Yep ol Dave was still sitting there all right, justr like he had been all afternoon, except we couldn't see he had blown his head clean off with the 12 ga, before we got there, when his wife had gone to the neighbors to call 911. No wonder Dave never responded to us, he couldn't.

Funny he didnt fall over, release his grip on the shot gun, no one heard the gun go off, and all the blood and gore went up on the ceiling and wall behind him. What a mess.

No more domestic calls from that house.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have a .25acp, i'm sure a hit in the eyes, throat, or temple will take the fight out of anybody

I could make the same argument about a pointed stick. If my plan calls for me to be able to hit a target about the size of a quarter during an engagement, I'd be rethinking that plan.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I could make the same argument about a pointed stick. If my plan calls for me to be able to hit a target about the size of a quarter during an engagement, I'd be rethinking that plan.

Stop making sense. Using your logic and experience to counter fallacies based upon emotion is just the interwebz version of curb stomping.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've never really understood the appeal of the tiny pocket guns... especially since a Glock 26 or a Glock 36 are only a little bigger... but pack a substantially more effective round.

They are cute and the best ones are built like tiny swiss watches...I know this may be shocking to some of the youngsters here but Glocks have not always been around. A Glock is not the safest gun to carry loose in a pocket but to be fair neither are most .25's...Also you must take into consideration that some folks just like guns and collect them for various reasons; History, family connection, the love of products froma bygone era, etc....Some stamps we buy to mail letters and some stamps we buy to put up because we like them or think they are pretty.

With that being said I am a J frame Smith guy and picked up a Smith 317 8 shot .22 that weighs under 10 ounces...I normally carry a 640-1 in .357 magnum but I don't feel unprotected with 8 shots of HP .22 in a small package. I think .25's may have their place but not in ones pocket for protection.

IMHO ofcourse lest my comments be construed as "testy".

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Carrying a gun IS better than no gun. Having the right mindset and knowing the limits of your weapon system (and caliber) is just as important.
    I disagree, carrying a 25 cal. is akin to carrying an unloaded weapon. Your far more likely to be shot by an armed BG if you show a gun (and don't use it) than if you don't, as he will feel his life is in danger. Your odds of getting out of the encounter unscathed rise with the ability of you and your weapon to disable or kill the BG before he shoots / knifes or kills you. In my opinion I would just as soon carry a pellet gun as a 25 caliber.

I know of at least 2 documented incidents where people were shot - one in Frankfort and one in Lafayette - where the person shooting was injured far worse than the victim, when the victim beat (and hospitalized) the shooter after being shot. In both cases the person shot was taken to the hospital, the bullets removed, band-aids placed over the wounds and released. One was shot multiple times in the back - the other in the head.

One victim did spend the night in jail as, after being released from the hospital he searched and found the guy that shot him, and put him in the hospital. He was incarcerated for the evening (to keep him from killing the shooter) he was released the next day - after the shooter was arrested and jailed. Both these incidents occurred some years ago, but the 25 is no more powerful now than it was then.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Stop making sense. Using your logic and experience to counter fallacies based upon emotion is just the interwebz version of curb stomping.

I know, I know. Dealing with a few dozen .25 shootings, and close to 300 shootings over all, I start thinking I might know a few things. Oh well, folks are free to just say "Well, I'll just..." and imagine the scenario so it works out for them.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Gotta agree, those little pistol calibers just dont have enough punch to be an effective defense weapon. I've worked a few suicide scenes where a 9mm and a 45 were used. They were quite effective. You can never go wrong with a decent shot placement from any of the standard pistol calibers. If you want max effectiveness, gotta go with 7.62x39 though. Easily the most gruesome suicide i've ever seen. I didnt know your head could peel open like that. You dont have to be real accurate to take the fight out of someone when your using a 7.62.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I know, I know. Dealing with a few dozen .25 shootings, and close to 300 shootings over all, I start thinking I might know a few things. Oh well, folks are free to just say "Well, I'll just..." and imagine the scenario so it works out for them.

Yes ofcourse, but lets talk REAL world experience...How much time do you have on Call of Duty?:owned::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    It's all about the angle. Some do it too steep and take the front of their face off and their jaw.

It happens, maybe not super common, but it happens
    We get the live ones for a time, until the suicidal thoughts go away. It blows me away how many people are just really bad shots. One guy only needed a couple of stitches in his chin. Really bad angle.

My grandfather possibly survived because of a .25 that struck a German soldier in the forehead in WW2. I can dig up my post if you want. German soldier lived. Round bounced off his forehead knocking him stupid. Cigs and spam sammiches shared before MP showed up. I even have the gun the story is attached too.

My uncle tried to attempt suicide with a 12ga.

He flinched and the shot grazed his head. Bad scar, but alive.

I don't carry a .25 for defense. But it's better than nothing.
    Great WWII story.

I have a .25acp, i'm sure a hit in the eyes, throat, or temple will take the fight out of anybody
    This makes me think that maybe the police, or anyone, could use the .25 as a nonlethal weapon, like a taser.:laugh:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    According to this, your best bet is to carry FMJ. ...

Right, because nothing else penetrates much in .25acp. And those number are with gel.

Throw a bone, some teeth, a heavy leather jacket, etc. in the path and it penetrates even less.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Hi-points in 9mm aren't much more expensive people, and generally are more reliable. You need a budget pistol go with them. Heck, you can get a brand new Zastava Tokarev in 9mm for $250 now. Those things will run just as reliably as any mid-level 1911 by the way I hear it.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I saw an aftermath emergency room video of a guy who placed a gun under his chin to end it. He survived after the bullet exited just above his nasion (where the nose bridge meets the forehead). He had plenty of penetration, but bad angle. I think people just copy how they see it in the movies, where they place the gun under the chin and tilt the head back, not knowing this moves the brain out of the bullets path.

PM me if you want to see the video. It's pretty interesting. The guy is propping himself up on his side and looks pretty conscious. It's just really graphic or else I'd post it.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Beretta.jpg

Top Bottom