• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    From what I read, #4 does not perform well in ballistic gell. So, again, another .25 fail.

Not a .25 advocate here, but it's not quite an apples to apples comparison. The shot is round lead, while the .25 acp bullet is a jacketed round nose; different sectional densities, different deformation, and all that. So the .25 acp bullet does penetrate a bit more than than a similar lead ball would. Not great mind you - just clarifying because .25 acp proponents will certainly bring it up.

But yeah, buck smaller than #1 doesn't reliably penetrate 12" [1] and isn't recommended for defensive purposes.

[1] - Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition, .357 SIG -- A Solution in Search of a Problem?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Not a .25 advocate here, but it's not quite an apples to apples comparison. The shot is round lead, while the .25 acp bullet is a jacketed round nose; different sectional densities, different deformation, and all that. So the .25 acp bullet does penetrate a bit more than than a similar lead ball would. Not great mind you - just clarifying because .25 acp proponents will certainly bring it up.

But yeah, buck smaller than #1 doesn't reliably penetrate 12" [1] and isn't recommended for defensive purposes.

[1] - Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition, .357 SIG -- A Solution in Search of a Problem?

Well aware. Not trying to get scientific or anything like that, but loaded into a shotgun shell, a .25 would come out flipping or nuckle balling, anything but a spin with nose forward, so only the weight of a conical and the jacket would increase penetration over the round ball. Just saying, way better options.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Well aware. Not trying to get scientific or anything like that, but loaded into a shotgun shell, a .25 would come out flipping or nuckle balling, anything but a spin with nose forward, so only the weight of a conical and the jacket would increase penetration over the round ball. Just saying, way better options.

Yup, that too!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    nobody here is saying that the .25acp has the power to knock people on their butts, all that is being said is nobody wants to be hit by a .25acp period

Right...that's why I would not let the gun store owner shoot me to prove to me it would hurt. Nobody want's to get hit by a hammer either. The OP was trying to educate people that there are better choices for self defense...but he has only said that...like maybe 100 times in either this post or others.:scratch:

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    OOO = 36 cal 68 grain X 8 = 0.81 Sq Inches 544 grains total
    00 = 33 cal 53.8 grain X 9 = 0.77 in2 484.2 gr
    0 = 32 cal 48.3 grain X 12 = 0.96 in2 579.6 gr
    1 = 30 cal 40 grain X 16 = 1.13 in2 640 gr
    4 = 24 cal 20.6 grain X 27 = 1.22 in2 556.2 gr
    From what I read, #4 does not perform well in ballistic gell. So, again, another .25 fail.:laugh:
    you could use the 50 grain FMJs i think 6 would fit in there

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    you could use the 50 grain FMJs i think 6 would fit in there

That would be interesting. Maybe if you hand set them and filled the spaces with pellets. Years ago I read about a Malaysian load used during WWII that sounded pretty wicked. A mix of OO buck and maybe 4s. Can't remember. Like I said, that was years ago.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    That would be interesting. Maybe if you hand set them and filled the spaces with pellets. Years ago I read about a Malaysian load used during WWII that sounded pretty wicked. A mix of OO buck and maybe 4s. Can't remember. Like I said, that was years ago.
    ive herd of that but how bought instead of pellets pieces of drill bits or carbides from cutting tools.:runaway:

Top Bottom