• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Ok, so the real question is, which I don't see very often, how and where are these mass shooters getting the guns? Where they acquired legally or illegally? My google-fu or bing-fu is weak right now.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ok, so the real question is, which I don't see very often, how and are these mass shooters getting the guns? Where they acquired legally or illegally? My google-fu or bing-fu is weak right now.

For mass shooting, specifically, it seems most are getting them legally. As in going through the legal channels. One may be an improper person using them, but they aren't obtaining them (in most cases) via criminal means.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    While I largely agree with you, sometimes people simply do stuff without warning. Sometimes the changes in behavior are small and inperceptable to those closest to the criminal that you just don't realize what's been happening until something major happens. Not all the time. Certainly people turn blind eyes in many cases. I've had a loved one slowly decline over several years and my brother who was taking care of her and saw her everyday simply could not see it happening. In my case, the loved one never even hinted at being violent but it does seem like a reasonable analog.

I think we choose not to notice because we have no capacity to deal with the situation without potentially harming a loved one. It's instinctual to protect those we care about. I believe community level help could help. It is the codependent mindset that allows us to not see the issues with those close to us. Rarely is it ever an overnight snap, most of these situations tend to be long declines that turn violent. Denial and codependency are what lead to statements like "I could never imagine johnny would ever do such a thing"

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    For mass shooting, specifically, it seems most are getting them legally. As in going through the legal channels. One may be an improper person using them, but they aren't obtaining them (in most cases) via criminal means.

You seem to be right on. The mass shooters seem to be more calculative and planned than the more off the cuff street crimes. I read that other kids were reporting that the shooter would share pictures of himself with his firearms which leads me to think that we will find out the shooter owned whatever he used legally.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

In many cases I believe the gun was bought legally by the parents and then stolen.Especially when the shooter is an highschool kid himself and couldn't legally purchase a gun.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons

So, basically, there is no answer in deterring this without extra expenses. Metal detectors and roving armed guards will cost. But isn't that cost worth in saving lives? I know there will always be evil in this world. But there has to be a way to push against the evils of this world.

We spent billions in military but we can't even protect our own.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I opened a can of worms on FB as I'm sure I'll get called all sorts of names...but I'm tired of the 'I must disarm as I enter my daughter's school'....and had to vent.

Prayers for all involved.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    So, basically, there is no answer in deterring this without extra expenses. Metal detectors and roving armed guards will cost. But isn't that cost worth in saving lives? I know there will always be evil in this world. But there has to be a way to push against the evils of this world.

It's called STOP doping people with SCRIPT meds .

Just a swag but lm betting something akin to SSRI's are involved .

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

We spend multi-millions for football stadiums and gymnasiums too, not to mention 10's if not 100's of thousands on buses that run empty or nearly so from what I can see. I live near a grade school and I watch the buses coming and going. Many with 2 or 3 kids in each, but followed by a steady stream of mini-vans and SUVs. Seems like an awfully good place to trim the budget to protect the kids.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    How many times has this been said of these shooters? How is it that they are always on radar but slip through.

A former teacher told the Miami Herald that he believed the Mr Cruz was already on the school's radar.

We were told last year that he wasn’t allowed on campus with a backpack on him,” math teacher Jim Gard told the Herald. “There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus.

Florida school shooting: Suspect named as former student Nicolas Cruz, according to reports | The Independent

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    19 year old expelled student. Someone reported he pulled the fire alarm and shot people as they exit. Sheriff reports "AR15" with many magazines.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom