• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I saw and get that Kut but not here. Please. Just for once lets leave that dog outside. Kids are hurt. The gun community will again be in a bad light. We can and will discuss all of this in another thread.

Thanks.

No prob Church. I'll let it go.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I saw and get that Kut but not here. Please. Just for once lets leave that dog outside. Kids are hurt. The gun community will again be in a bad light. We can and will discuss all of this in another thread.

Thanks.

I'm sorry, but coming from....
    ESPECIALLY this soon. This could be really bad and regardless of the text color that comment was in very poor taste.

Is really over the top.

ETA:
    Kut's letting it go, so I will.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Absolutely right. And yes teachers should be trained. Problem is too many are serious lib's who can't bring themselves to even think about handling an evil, threatening, sickening gun

Wasn't this an outdoor ambush? I highly doubt even mildly well trained armed teachers would have been effective in the chaos of a fire drill taking shots from an unknown location. Armed teachers/veterans/volunteers will not stop these shootings. There may be a few who choose to be teachers that would be effective in an indoor fire fight, but most will freeze and add to the casualty count. I think we need to continue learning and adapting the structures to defend the lives of those inside a school. Metal detectors, single point of entry, hardened doors, clear fields to facilitate gatherings (such as fire drills etc). Teachers are not leo's and I'd be willing to wager that a vast majority do not spend their free time training at the conservation club.

I am kind of ok with a teacher carrying in class that passes the appropriate mental evaluations, background checks (no less than what a state police officer must undergo), takes appropriate force on force, shoot don't shoot, and annual marksmanship courses/quals. I just don't see where people think the money to appropriately train the teachers will come from. I also do not think that armed teachers will solve the school shooter problem. I'm definitely not ok with the people who suggest placing random veterans as armed guards in schools, I'm fine with developing a program that helps vets become sworn leo's with a focus on school security. I don't believe military training directly translates to armed school guard training. If anyone believes otherwise show me the mos/afsc/etc that includes training in school defense.

A troubled kid who has access to a firearm is the problem. That problem should be recognized at home or reported by peers. Firearm owners who have troubled kids, room mates, or adult children who are prone to violence and depression should take extra precautions when storing their firearms. Police officers can since something is wrong with a person or situation within seconds of approaching a car window, you cannot tell me that a person living with another person cannot tell there is something off. The only way to prevent these types of shootings is to get help as soon as a problem is noticed. We don't need .gov mental institutions necessarily, but community funded easily accessible mental health resources available at the community level. Most people do not know how to deal with a person going through a mental breakdown, but most people recognize that something is wrong. Right now the only emergency resource seems to be to call 911, or seek costly private mental healthcare.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Wasn't this an outdoor ambush? I highly doubt even mildly well trained armed teachers would have been effective in the chaos of a fire drill taking shots from an unknown location. Armed teachers/veterans/volunteers will not stop these shootings. There may be a few who choose to be teachers that would be effective in an indoor fire fight, but most will freeze and add to the casualty count. I think we need to continue learning and adapting the structures to defend the lives of those inside a school. Metal detectors, single point of entry, hardened doors, clear fields to facilitate gatherings (such as fire drills etc). Teachers are not leo's and I'd be willing to wager that a vast majority do not spend their free time training at the conservation club.

I am kind of ok with a teacher carrying in class that passes the appropriate mental evaluations, background checks (no less than what a state police officer must undergo), takes appropriate force on force, shoot don't shoot, and annual marksmanship courses/quals. I just don't see where people think the money to appropriately train the teachers will come from. I also do not think that armed teachers will solve the school shooter problem. I'm definitely not ok with the people who suggest placing random veterans as armed guards in schools, I'm fine with developing a program that helps vets become sworn leo's with a focus on school security. I don't believe military training directly translates to armed school guard training. If anyone believes otherwise show me the mos/afsc/etc that includes training in school defense.

A troubled kid who has access to a firearm is the problem. That problem should be recognized at home or reported by peers. Firearm owners who have troubled kids, room mates, or adult children who are prone to violence and depression should take extra precautions when storing their firearms. Police officers can since something is wrong with a person or situation within seconds of approaching a car window, you cannot tell me that a person living with another person cannot tell there is something off. The only way to prevent these types of shootings is to get help as soon as a problem is noticed. We don't need .gov mental institutions necessarily, but community funded easily accessible mental health resources available at the community level. Most people do not know how to deal with a person going through a mental breakdown, but most people recognize that something is wrong. Right now the only emergency resource seems to be to call 911, or seek costly private mental healthcare.

That's how it was reported. I don't think there's much in the way of prevention if it's someone taking shots from outside the school. I mean what can you do? Make schools like fortresses, with walls, guard towers, and electronic key access?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    That's how it was reported. I don't think there's much in the way of prevention if it's someone taking shots from outside the school. I mean what can you do? Make schools like fortresses, with walls, guard towers, and electronic key access?

I don't think they need to be fortresses, but we live in a highly violent society. It is probably wise to take a look at the way the schools assemble and assess the threats and eliminate as much as possible. I don't think there is any way to prevent these style of attacks, but it is possible to mitigate their effectiveness.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I'm just now catching up on this and my understanding of what happened my be incomplete but this illustrates how adaptable those with evil on their hearts can be. However hardened we make a school, they'll either find a weakness or find another way to accomplish their goals.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    When that is brought up the conversation goes to..
    But if they couldn't get a gun..
    Oh, you mean like no one gets drugs anymore cause they're illegal?..
    Oh, so we should get rid of all laws?..
    Let me explain malum prohibitum vs. malum in se.

I'm getting worn out from these knuckleheads.

Thank you for that phrase. I've been a little stuck after the "get rid of all laws" line from more than one knucklehead. This may help penetrate their thick skulls.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    While the cost of armed security in schools would be an issue, I bet there are plenty of old farts like me who are retired and would volunteer to be a school guard for free. Also, I believe in Israel the teachers are armed and trained. I would be 100% for that and frankly, can't see why we as a country would not pursue such an obvious solution.

Not just the teachers.
    If every member of the school staff and parents where allowed to carry inside the school that would be already a big deterence factor.
    Just knowing that someone might or might not be armed is better than knowing for certain that nobody is armed.

Chapple-Hill-Bank-Gun-Welcome-Sign.png

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    In a way this reminds me of those who suggest a terrorist could target people waiting to go through a metal detector for example. We need to be thinking of ways to reduce such opportunities for those who would do harm.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ggreen - you make great points and I'm not sure thatvit was primarily an outdorr attack as there are reports of people down and pools of blood in hallways.
    My comment on teachers being trained would go toward having the means to potentially protect a room full of people being sheltered in place. A locked door is better than nothing. But since the cost of hiring enough resource officers isn't realistic, we should be looking at allowing willing, well trained teachers to have the ability to protect kids and if able, to take the fight to the attacker.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

While I largely agree with you, sometimes people simply do stuff without warning. Sometimes the changes in behavior are small and inperceptable to those closest to the criminal that you just don't realize what's been happening until something major happens. Not all the time. Certainly people turn blind eyes in many cases. I've had a loved one slowly decline over several years and my brother who was taking care of her and saw her everyday simply could not see it happening. In my case, the loved one never even hinted at being violent but it does seem like a reasonable analog.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    There are videos from the students who were inside and the gunfire sure sounded like it wasn't coming from the outside.

Being said that the shooter was in a classroom then left it and worked his way outside. So there is a possibility of an armed teacher being able to stop this, but it makes more sense to have a single secure point of entry into the school and metal detectors. Safer to prevent and contain than try and react once lead is flying.

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Am I the only one that's disgusted with the media outlets hammering these kids with questions?

One reporter asked the kid and he said it was scary. She followed that up with "How scary was it?"

These poor kids have just experienced something horrific that will stay with them forever and the last thing they need are ridiculous questions like this.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Ggreen - you make great points and I'm not sure thatvit was primarily an outdorr attack as there are reports of people down and pools of blood in hallways.
    My comment on teachers being trained would go toward having the means to potentially protect a room full of people being sheltered in place. A locked door is better than nothing. But since the cost of hiring enough resource officers isn't realistic, we should be looking at allowing willing, well trained teachers to have the ability to protect kids and if able, to take the fight to the attacker.

The updated report has the shooter starting out inside, very sad. I can see where an armed teacher may do some good, but I think the cost of properly training maintaining armed teachers would be more expensive than a resource officer. I also cannot imagine who or how a school would be able to carry insurance once it allowed teachers to carry.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Am I the only one that's disgusted with the media outlets hammering these kids with questions?

One reporter asked the kid and he said it was scary. She followed that up with "How scary was it?"

These poor kids have just experienced something horrific that will stay with them forever and the last thing they need are ridiculous questions like this.

If you're looking to the media for some sense of moral fiber you are destined for disappointment. They make the ambulance chasing lawyers look like Saints.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom