• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Man thats a toughie, I have seen many for sale in 303, but never with a mannlicher stock.. Heck I have never seen to many mannlicher's to begin with.
    Yeah their "International" model. They used to make a 10/22 like that as well. I don't see those very often in the wild either.

If a fellow had the money it could be custom made fairly readily, but that's not money I've got.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I have a 9.3X62, which is similiar in ballistics. A 286g Nolser partition at 2450fps out of my 9pound cz550 definitely lets u know it's their, but the recoil feels more like a steady push then a quick punch. Well to my shoulder anway.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    This is the new to me wheel weight chunker.

Looks like the projectile of choice will be a paper patched 280 grain hollow point seeing as the mold was got for half price too.
    Got the rifle, the original butt plate, Hornady dies, two sets of rings, four boxes of brass, a box of Barnes triple shocks, half a box of Hornady's all together in a package for the happy new year.
    The three inch long cases don't meet with the 1.8 reg but something may work out. :)

I just wanted to tell you OP, thanks, thanks a lot for starting this post. I keep looking online and now I think I'll order one this weekend. Just what I need, another single shot rifle in a caliber I don't have already. new dies, bullets.... You're not my friend.......

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    You will see breach seating mostly within the Schuetzen shooting crowd, both black and smokeless is used in low pressure small case cartridge's they shoot.
    You gotta be careful even with low pressure rounds, i shutter when i think about what can go wrong when hitting 30 to 40+ thousands psi, not me..
    And i believe if breach seating worked well in larger cases the BPCR crowd with have gone that road years ago.

It's not a matter of how well breech seating would work for the black powder cartridge crowd (me included), but rather how to use the rifle within the constraints of 1.8 reg. And, I think that the breech seating of a soft cast paper patched bullet can be accomplished with excellent alignment. That said, it's not unusual to load cast bullets (whether lubed lead or paper patched) that are of the diameter to fill the available throat (for lack of a better term) rather than groove diameter or even a couple of thousandths over. And, to use the case to jam the bullet into the rifling. I'm not planning on doing anything different except not having the bullet firmly held in the case mouth at the time of ignition. The initial testing would have to be performed using FFg held in a cylindrical combustible paper tube as is normally done in a percussion Sharps rifle. In this case the "cap" will be contained in the 1 3/4" long brass. The cylinder will have to be of the length to be slightly compressed axially when the action is closed. With the strength of the No.1 there's no way pressures will be at a danger level when using FFg. But, it will allow some initial technique refinements to be developed. Prior to shooting smokeless with this method loading data will have to be developed to determine which powders work well with the bullets firmly pressed into the rifling (brass crimped on the bullet to provide seating pressure).
    One question not resolved is what the heck to use for the tube material with smokeless powder. Nitrated paper is cool for black powder loads. For smokeless I just don't know. But it will be fun finding out.
    So, that's my plan. Figger out the loads. Figger out the technique. And if smokeless accuracy won't settle down and I end up with a .36x2 7/8" black powder breech loader shooting soft lead paper patched bullets at bambi... OK!

Hey, meanwhile, a cool story. I needed to find some some 1" diameter No.1 scope rings. And a fellow on another forum is mailing me some 'cause he doesn't have a use for them any more. Reloaders are some of the nicest people!

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Ok, how do you plan to seat the bullet after the first round of Black Powder has been shot ? The chamber and throat get smaller with each shot using BP.
    It will be even worse when using black powder in a bag..
    Are you planning on cleaning or swabbing the bore with every shot ?
    I would tend to think to go through that process to use as a hunting rifle sure makes a backup shot in a hurry difficult and time consuming.
    Que the deer floping around while you seat a bullet with frozen bullets and the rest of the loading process....

I understand sometimes traveling the road to get there is most of the fun for some, but it surely would be easier to just cut down the case, fill with powder of choice and seat a bullet and let it jump the gap..

Good Luck, and please post your progress..

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    A deer flopping around on the ground?
    No, jumping the gap is not viable with this rifle.
    Meanwhile, got back to Indiana yesterday and found that the scope rings came in the mail from the helpful gentleman in Florida.
    Sending a thank you letter today before making a run into Chicago.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010

Finally got the chance to play.
    Making bunny loads with an old plain base that drops out at .368" and 218 grains. A little Unique, some lanolin-beeswax lube, a little quilt batting.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I have a 9.3X62, which is similiar in ballistics. A 286g Nolser partition at 2450fps out of my 9pound cz550 definitely lets u know it's their, but the recoil feels more like a steady push then a quick punch. Well to my shoulder anway.

I have the same rifle, and I agree it is a push and not a punch. I shoot the same bullet at the same speed. The most accurate rifle that I have. I bought the CZ Kevlar carbine version in the same caliber as well. Mostly shoot cast bullets out of mine, but just got a couple hundred of the jacketed Hornady 286gr bullets to try. What a classic caliber that most Americans don't even know about, it was created in 1905. It's the best for any NA animal, and most that Africa has to offer, at reasonable shooting distances...out to 300yds.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    To get the muzzle velocity up I'm going to try the Lee C358-200RF paper patched.
    Double cavity mold, so one lapped to 9.3 and the other saved as factory supplied.
    If somebody produced a light weight jacketed HPBT though, I'd pay good money to try it. :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom