• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I consider you a reasonable man and a stand up guy and professional. But under what circumstances would this be acceptable behavior for the officers? At what point is stomping on them and slamming their head into the pavement repeatedly acceptable behavior?

Im honestly interested in how that would be justified and under what circumstances. No trolling or disrespect intended. I honestly want to know how this would be justified?

As a civilian, I see 3 men who need to be shown the door at least. Maybe more.
    I think if you are being beaten about the head your first instinct is to protect your head as it looks he was doing just that. Not fighting just covering his head to stop the injuries. I respect police 98% of the time but I call BS on that one and I would if he were black also. Some cops are on power trips. They knew they were wrong when they noticed they were being recorded

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You make good points, and I really like the quote " Ineffective force looks identical to excessive force to the untrained eye." That's absolutely spot on.
    I never worked the streets and didn't have the same level of training over 20 yrs ago when I was a court deputy. Nor did we have tasers back then. Sometimes you have to go hands on to get control of an individual, I get that (enough experience with that).
    My question is, wasn't the taser supposed to help in situations like this to temporarily incapacitate an individual or dry stun to gain control? I guess what I'm asking is, in some similar situations (maybe this one, maybe not) is it justified or taught to break off physical contact with the individual and go to the taser and then re- engage the individual?
    There are 100 different ways to have dealt with this situation that would be totally justified. Our recruits are taught they CAN disengage if needed, it's an option.

Now here is a thought twister for you. "Can ineffective force be excessive?" Can striking someone to gain compliance be excessive if they continued their resistance?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Question for Denny...

After watching it, two of the officer's actions are questionable, but I'm not judging whether right or wrong. My question is about the officer in the middle who doesn't look, to me, like he's doing anything that could be considered excessive. Is the default guilty by association? Suspend them all and let someone else sort it out?
    Administratively? They COULD all be lumped together. In reality though, EACH officers actions should be judged independently. Example, It's possible that ALL the strikes were justified EXCEPT the single head smash by that one officer and he would be the only one brought to answer for it. At least that is how it should be.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    He didn't put his hands behind his back. IMO, if you don't want to get beaten up by police officers, simply comply with their demands. Fighting with them will never go well. If the officers are wrong in the arrest, take it up with the department, courts, etc... in the right venue instead.
    From the looks of it he was trying to protect his head from brain damage.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There are 100 different ways to have dealt with this situation that would be totally justified. Our recruits are taught they CAN disengage if needed, it's an option.

Now here is a thought twister for you. "Can ineffective force be excessive?" Can striking someone to gain compliance be excessive if they continued their resistance?
    The thought twister to me is more a question of when does ineffective force become excessive. Gaining compliance/control is a fluid situation. If one tactic isn't working an officer has to be able to quickly change to another tactic. Continuing to strike a leg as an example that isn't working and not changing tactics IMHO can become excessive by a means of inflicting pain or undue risk of injury by not using other methods. You have to be able to use all the tools in the toolbox not just be a one or two trick pony.
    The Sgt in the video in question is a good example. He was using knee strikes that appeared to be to the suspects leg. When the situation evolved, the Sgt moved and took another action (and it looked to me like he was 100% following training SOP's).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Start banging a guy's head against something solid and you're very likely at or very near deadly force justifications required. Context matters, obviously, but if you can't justify shooting him in the particular context I'd be leery of banging his head off the ground.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Start banging a guy's head against something solid and you're very likely at or very near deadly force justifications required. Context matters, obviously, but if you can't justify shooting him in the particular context I'd be leery of banging his head off the ground.
    IMO banging a guy's head against something solid carries the same kind of risks as striking a guy in the head with a baton. Years ago we were told that was in the spectrum of if that is what seems necessary then you are in the spectrum of justifying deadly force usage.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The deputies’ attorney said White was checking Worcester’s identity when “the suspect became irate and viciously attacked Deputy White by grabbing him by the legs, lifting him up and body-slamming him, head first, on the concrete parking lot.”

“White was incapacitated momentarily, but remembers getting repeatedly hit in the head and then seeing the suspect fighting with Corporal King and the Mulberry officer,” Wood says in the statement. “Deputy White reengaged and used all force necessary to get the violent suspect under control and detained.”

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This piece of **** body slammed the officer head first onto the pavement? Well, then I guess the only part about this that pisses me off is that she turned down the Metallica right as one of my favorite parts of the song was playing.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Yikes...

3 Arkansas officers involved in violent arrest are identified​

I've not been keeping up on this stuff.

Am I supposed to go burn, murder and loot now? Run off businesses and claim victimhood status for some sort of desert or something?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Well, there you go. If body/security cam footage shows this to be true, that guy got what was coming to him. I'm sure if/when the investigation clears these officers all the people who jumped on the bandwagon to condemn them without any context will be back to apologize and take back their words.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Well, there you go. If body/security cam footage shows this to be true, that guy got what was coming to him. I'm sure if/when the investigation clears these officers all the people who jumped on the bandwagon to condemn them without any context will be back to apologize and take back their words.
    I think in the article according to the attorney for the one of the Deputies he had said that there were supposedly no body cams but there was supposedly a dash cam in one of the squads that captured what had happened.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Spoiler (and I know Denny knows this but I'm going to Denny Denny again): SCOTUS says 'yes'.
    iKKR7HK.jpg

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    To some extent you're probably right. But there's always a fine line between right and wrong.
    The only officer I see doing anything questionable is the one who punched, then knee struck the head before slamming the head onto the ground.
    Gee, it’s like I’m clairvoyant, or something (post 34). This numb nuts got exactly what he had coming, hopefully he’s permanently crippled.

Top Bottom