• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have a brand new Henry 22 lever that I bought for my grandkids but is too long for them. It is new in the box unfired. I am going to post it in the classifieds later this week when I get back from a business trip. I'm going to take the funds from the H001 and buy them a H001Y. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM.

Funny, I bought my daughter a H001Y for her 9th birthday. I've had so much fun to shooting it (when she lets me) I just went out and picked up a H001L (large loop & same short barrel as the youth) for myself. Haven't gotten to take the new one out yet, but it feels good on the shoulder and the action is slick. If it shoots anywhere near as well as my daughter's, I think I will have a new favorite plinker.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    The very best is the Winchester 9422.
    The most accurate is the marlin 39a.
    The fastest reload is the 33 degree throw browning bl-22.
    Of those 3 only the browning is still made (I have not seen a marlin 39a new in over a year) and all three are above your budget.
    That leaves the Henry. I would not get the cheapest version as it has/had plastic barrel band and front sight. The frame is zinc Alloy with a cover they can be replaced if it get messed up. Smooth yes. Shoots well enough yes. So you should be happy with it.

Remington made one based on the nylon 66. Ruger made one based on the 10-22. Iver Johnson imported one in single shot and repeater. Marlin made a model 57 to look like the Winchester 88 and Winchester made the 130 with the same look. These are all ok guns with the 96-22 ruger being the most accurate but to me uglier than a 10-22. Mossburg made the palomino which in my opinion might have been the best Mossburg ever made. The palomino should be in the top list above but they are very rare in Indiana.

Since I own one or more of each of these (minus the Henry) I am biased to the marlins and Winchester 9422. To me if I was to get one today I would get a grade II or grade III bl-22 as the fit finish and accuracy is better than any of the other new options. If Henry made a all steel frame with blued sides and got rid of the plastic sights and bands then I think I sod recommend them more. Then again they are American made and produced to meet a price point in the market.

I own all these also and couldn't agree more. I also have a Marlin 39 TDS (16" barrel) and a marlin 57 which also has a short throw lever.

Dave

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I went through the same process a few years ago. I bought a Browning BL-22 and stretched my budget a bit. I liked the Henrys, but I was going to keep mine for a lifetime - so an extra $200 was worth it for me. I just think the BL-22 is the highest quality on the standard market.

The receiver on the Henry is aluminum alloy while I believe the Browning is stainless. The Browning is made in Belgium while the Henry is made in Jersey or some N.E. State. Every time I take that Browning out of the safe, I am so happy I spent the extra bucks. Quality, Beauty, and Accuracy.

They will maintain their value....

The Browning rifles are and have always been made in Miroku, Japan.

What's the difference between the Browning BL-22 I&II besides the price?

Different grades/types of wood stockset. Smooth glossy finish vs. checkering, gold trigger, accoutrements like that.

zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    I'm very much considering the Henry as it does meet my price range, I guess I'd have to shop around to see if there are any used browning or marlins going for that price. Thanks for all the info it really did help. I have a lot of searching to do now :D

miamigunsinc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    2640 W.84TH STREET
    Capacity of 22lr lever guns is 15 rounds .22LR, 17 rounds .22L, 21 rounds .22S. The action is exceptionally smooth, so smooth many first timers remark that they cannot believe the rifle has any internal parts.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    We bought my dad the base Henry a couple years back and he loves it! I enjoy shooting it as well and would like to add one to the stable at some point. There's a lot of fun to be had shooting cans and golf balls with 22 CB shorts with no Earpro and good conversation. :)

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    After owning several semi auto 22's I got tired of jams and bought a new Winchester 9422. It's the best 22 I ever owned and will eventually go to one of my grandsons. Unfortunately, I don't think they are still in production and the used ones I've seen are priced high.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Great info! My dad just recently picked up a 39a. Haven't shot it but it is SWEET! I'd love to pick up a Henry someday, its just down the list a little bit of stuff I "need". Any reason "mechanically" to go for a golden boy, or is it all just bling?

zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    are there any failure to feed issues common in lever guns?

I have two of the Henry 22 Youth models- 16.25" barrel and large loop level, new in the box see my classified if you are seriously looking for one
    Are they both youth? I'm not looking for a youth sized lever gun.

miamigunsinc are you talking about any specific model?

zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    Capacity of 22lr lever guns is 15 rounds .22LR, 17 rounds .22L, 21 rounds .22S. The action is exceptionally smooth, so smooth many first timers remark that they cannot believe the rifle has any internal parts.

Great info! My dad just recently picked up a 39a. Haven't shot it but it is SWEET! I'd love to pick up a Henry someday, its just down the list a little bit of stuff I "need". Any reason "mechanically" to go for a golden boy, or is it all just bling?

I'm curious about that as well.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The Marlin 39a is the Cadillac of Lever 22's if you are willing to stretch your budget.

Both the ballard rifling and micro-groove rifling are excellent, but I prefer the older ballard style rifling.

Last week there was one at Pop Guns that they said they would take $425 for and it is the older style rifling, but it needs a butt plate. It will be a good gun.

I bet that Marlin is gone now....I have to give my vote to the Marlin 39...It is the longest continuous production .22 in the US (since 1892 I believe) and with the exception of the last couple of years has always been a top line firearm....

Here is my Marlin 39a TDS and I must say that I love her....

mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    I have a Browning bl-22.. with the 33 degree short-throw lever..... I paid about $250ish for it when I was a freshman in high school... 1980..... It was to be my trapping gun.... so, It has alot of scratches and scars from being thrown into the bushes and weeds.... trapping fox, coon, possums... skunks(blah).....It still functions great and is accurate as heck.... I thought about refinishing the stock, but.... all those scars are memories..... I had a buddy re-blue it..... bout 20 years ago... and it has a nice pitina to it..... I love that rifle....... MIKE

BTW... They aren't $250 anymore...... :p

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom