• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Yarrrr creeks are too low for kayaks, again this year. Some of the best bass fishing in the state is in creeks that run through the whole city. Holes can be 1-8ft deep in some of the areas we go. It’s unbelievable the size Bass we can pull in on these creeks.
    View attachment 283405
    Do you wade them instead. We would always wade the creeks in the summer, haven't really done that in years though.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Gonna try gar. I shot it with a 9mm, slug recovered and in pic. Hardest dang fish I've ever cleaned. Will report on wether it was worth the effort.
    I have eaten them before. As posted in a past post, Nylon rope used like a jerk bait. Caught them in Northern Indiana. Had to use tin snips to get through their armor plated skin...tough to clean just "okay" to eat....wasn't worth the work....kind of like turtle for the work to reward ratio.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Caught them in Northern Indiana. Had to use tin snips to get through their armor plated skin...tough to clean just "okay" to eat....wasn't worth the work....kind of like turtle for the work to reward ratio.

Thanks for the description. :ingo:

Same thing I've found on turtle. Good, but not worth the trouble.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Same thing I've found on turtle. Good, but not worth the trouble.
    Needs to be a big turtle to make it worth the effort. Not a lot of big ones left anymore IMO.

I can remember 45 years ago going with my grandpa and an uncle as a kid and getting them 20" and up on a regular basis. Doesn't take much pressure to wipe out all the big ones.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Any recommendations where a fella can get into some decent catfish an hour and a half to two hours from Indy? Unfortunately I don't have a boat so needs to be accessable from the bank

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Any recommendations where a fella can get into some decent catfish an hour and a half to two hours from Indy? Unfortunately I don't have a boat so needs to be accessable from the bank

EDIT: Sorry, I couldnt resist. If you go let me know and I'll join ya. Some of the best Ive ever had. (short of Millers in Colfax... sadly it closed) :):

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

EDIT: Sorry, I couldnt resist. If you go let me know and I'll join ya. Some of the best Ive ever had. (short of Millers in Colfax... sadly it closed) :):
    Been there and had theirs. It's good but my wife, kids and son in law agree mine is better.
    Mine is very similar, the difference is is in the seasoning added to the cornmeal.

But, they are only about a 7 minute drive from the house. So, not a bad choice when I don't feel like doing the cooking.
    Never been to Miller's so can't speak for theirs

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Been there and had theirs. It's good but my wife, kids and son in law agree mine is better.
    Mine is very similar, the difference is is in the seasoning added to the cornmeal.

But, they are only about a 7 minute drive from the house. So, not a bad choice when I don't feel like doing the cooking.
    Never been to Miller's so can't speak for theirs
    Unfortunately Millers closed a bit before covid. (owners retired I believe) And they were all breaded whole fried fish. :drool: Insanely good. Firmly entrenched in my childhood.
    And I dont believe you. So you need to prove it. When do I need to stop by?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

You are likely to have good catfishing right under you nose. Dedicate a little driving around time to the easy access points in your neighborhood.

Go scout through the week, especially if you can do it during normal work hours. Weekends and after work hours are for amateurs and wannabes. You still might run into some good information, but you really have to sift.

Talk to to folks catching and keeping fish. Most fishermen will talk and talk. The question is whether they really know what they are talking about or not?

:)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately Millers closed a bit before covid. (owners retired I believe) And they were all breaded whole fried fish. :drool: Insanely good. Firmly entrenched in my childhood.
    And I dont believe you. So you need to prove it. When do I need to stop by?
    Well, dad says my fried catfish is good enough even my great grandma would be proud. She cooked fish straight out of their farm pond in Tennessee.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You are likely to have good catfishing right under you nose. Dedicate a little driving around time to the easy access points in your neighborhood.

Go scout through the week, especially if you can do it during normal work hours. Weekends and after work hours are for amateurs and wannabes. You still might run into some good information, but you really have to sift.

Talk to to folks catching and keeping fish. Most fishermen will talk and talk. The question is whether they really know what they are talking about or not?

:)
    About the closest place to me to fish would be Ft. Harrison state park. It's okay but it's a small lake (pond IMHO) so it's easily crowded.

Top Bottom