• Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    IMG_1417.jpeg
    Our group of 6 ( 5 shown plus 1 taking pic ) made another trek to Lake Erie this week to do battle with ferocious aquatic creatures…also known as walleye and anything else that bites. Drove over Monday, fished Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. Limit of walleye on Tuesday, although we had to work over 6.5 hours to get them. Caught over 100 fish including small walleye, 1 small mouth, couple perch, bunch of sheepshead and catfish…some really big cats and s.h. Wednesday only 5 keeper walleye. Craig ( boat owner ) said in his 35 years chartering, worst spring ever. No consistency due to weather, fronts, water temp swings, etc. Kind of matches my and everyone I have spoken with spring in my area. It was worst spring for me in at lest 18 years.

The fellow with the big beard has severe diabetes. He is almost blind, has 1 leg amputated just below the knee, and in March had part of the other foot amputated leaving him with no toes. But he will not miss our trips.

BravoOneFour

Marksman
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    kokomo
    I've been trying all year since Christmas to catch a salmon or trout off the pier at Michigan city. It's a 2 hour drive and I am getting tired of coming home empty handed. I talk to locals, show them my bait and rods and they said I seem to be doing everything right. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on how I can get one?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I've been trying all year since Christmas to catch a salmon or trout off the pier at Michigan city. It's a 2 hour drive and I am getting tired of coming home empty handed. I talk to locals, show them my bait and rods and they said I seem to be doing everything right. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on how I can get one?
    Late winter/early spring is when I would see people out there the most. Try to get into Trail Creek, I know people have good luck in there also.

Probably the easiest it to hire someone to get you on a boat.

BravoOneFour

Marksman
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    kokomo
    Late winter/early spring is when I would see people out there the most. Try to get into Trail Creek, I know people have good luck in there also.

Probably the easiest it to hire someone to get you on a boat.
    I've heard of trail creek however I'm not sure of a good access point. Any place you recommend?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Timing and weather conditions are a major part of catching salmon or trout from the pier. The fishing is usually best when the near shore water is cooler and I always liked to try to catch it 4-5 days after a decent rain. It pays to be as flexible as possible and check the fishing reports before going. I also wouldn't limit myself to just the pier, there are plenty of places farther upstream that can produce.

When fishing the pier, I always preferred to spend my time casting and retrieving spoons over soaking bait. We always seemed to have as good or better luck doing that than everyone else soaking bait. Fluorescent pink, orange and especially green seemed to work best. I also liked to use a bait caster to lob the .75-1 ounce spoons for better casting distance.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I've heard of trail creek however I'm not sure of a good access point. Any place you recommend?
    I'm not sure either.

I just worked up there and would always see people show up early in the year. Boaters beach to the west was another really popular spot, but I haven't been there since the plant closed so I'm not sure about now.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Where to fish Interactive map.

You kind of have to just try spots to see where the fish are, get away from the crowds, and find a place that best fits your fishing style. Personally, I've had the best luck at Old Johnson Rd., Robert Peo, the Forks, Creek Ridge, and Trail Creek PFA, probably in that order. OJR and the Forks can get pretty crowded at times, especially the spots closest to the parking lots but I've rarely seen other fisherman at Robert Peo and Creek Ridge and PFA both have a lot of room to spread out.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom