• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Feb 20, 2010
    I apologize for not replying earlier but over the last 48 hours I have worked 24 of them. I manage a paintball field and have to deal with customers on a continual basis. I treat them as I want to be treated and base my opinions of other stores and establishments on my personal experiences on both sides of the counter. Any one else remember the Golden Rule?
    In response to those who basically told me to man up and cause a scene at BGF I firmly disagree. If they hadn't been rude and ignored me there wouldn't have been a problem. How would exacerbating my anger have helped? Was I supposed to beg to get attention and have them take my money? Since they ignored me as a potential money source who's to say they would have even started to listen to me when I complained?
    While I agree with the statement that the customer isn't always right that doesn't mean the customer shouldn't be treated with respect regardless of my personal situation. If they were overworked then maybe they should have taken a break away from the sales floor. I remember 6 people behind the counter. 1 behind the register, 3 by the long guns and 2 by the hand guns. The man who was initially rude to me with the sighing and attitude had grey hair and a beard. The man who ignored me by the AR's was taller with grey hair. I don't know any of their names as they weren't wearing name tags. As far as I know they could have been the owner, manager or president or just a "regular" who was behind the counter for some reason.
    As a customer it's not my job or duty to tell the store how to run their business. However I created this thread as a courtesy to let BGF and others know of our experience. I am very quick to give praise and a bit slower to give a bad review. As multiple others have said I vote with my wallet. It does seem that many others have had the same type of experiences with BGF. In looking through this sub-forum I notice only a couple of threads with negative reviews. Is this because the customer service was good or because members didn't want to take the time to post a negative review? Don't really know if there's an accurate answer to that. Many times people just walk out and never say or do anything because they either don't have the time, don't know the place to post it or just are apathetic and won't come back.
    I called the other three stores as they were on my route with the missus to do more shopping. We actually went out of our way to go to BGF as I had heard a lot of good things about them and that is why I was surprised they treated us that way.

Mr. Voiles-

As it seems your mind and your impression of BGF is made up for the time being and in the future, I will not try and change that. You are intitled to your opinions.

However, if you are asking for a response in a public forum regarding the actions of one of our employees, (an employee unknown to us since several were working today and you do not describe said offender) we cannot give you one. You are more then welcome to PM myself or email the president of the company at bgfirearms@att.net.

We at Beech Grove Firearms strive to treat each customer with respect and give them our fullest attention. I am sorry you did not receive that treatment and if it was brought to the attention of the owner, the manager, or the president of the company when it happened then it would have been addressed. All three of those individuals were in the store all day, as they are 99% of the time.

If anyone runs into the same issue we would appreciate hearing about it in person when the aggrievement is taking place or shortly after it took place. We would then be happy to address it.

Respectfully,

cs

I created this thread late that afternoon after thinking about what had happened. As I said we were there about 3 pm. Are you suggesting that instead of leaving I should have approached the sales people a third time and requested to see the manager or owner? How did I know that the sales people who offended me weren't one and the same? You stated they were there at the time so that means 50% of the people who were on the sales floor should have been someone in charge. I do doubt the young man that was by the long guns was any of the three simply due to his age. I do not mean any disrespect toward him but that means 3 of the 5 on the floor were in charge.
    You can only make a first impression one time. Sadly this will be an impression that will last a very long time.
    Dan

familyevents

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Aug 20, 2012
    Greenwood
    Good service

Must be they listened, went in Saturday after hitting the gun show with my son. They were nothing less than helpfull, asking what I needed as soon as I was in the store, and it had quite a few people in there. Going back and getting a gun I been wanting for awhile they have!

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    The first two times I went there were with my dad. I was off school for a long time for personal medical reasons and after being at St. Francis all day we went there on a Thursday, and then we went the next Thursday. The first time was nothing short of phenomenal. All you had to do was even mention the fact you wanted to see _____ and they'd whip it out of the case along with about five other guns that were similar to it.

The second time, we had the same service looking at stuff (this was in the middle of the day, just like the first time.) except when we encountered this one salesman. He was very unfriendly and rude to myself and my dad. Oh well, everyone else was awesome and everyone has a bad day right?

Fast forward a few months and we go in for the 3rd or 4th time. Dad says something about seeing the Chief's Special 3rd Gen S&W they have in the case. The same guy who was rude and unfriendly to us just looked at him and walked away. Dad dislikes BGF, but me and my mom love going there when I'm at her house for the weekend. As a matter of fact when me and mom go there to look at guns for her we get fantastic service.

I guess what I'm trying to say is BGF is about the same as any other large shop in Central Indiana. Most all the employees are nothing short of fantastic and helpful, then there is that "one guy" who can be/is a douche. It happens.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    For every -1 some dweeb gives BGF, I will give them +5. They are still under construction. The original poster might have been talking to an electricion, or a carpender. Or he might have been waiting on someone else and you interupted. Ever think about that? These folks are TOP-NOTCH and no -2 by a thin skinned whinner will change my mind!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    For every -1 some dweeb gives BGF, I will give them +5. They are still under construction. The original poster might have been talking to an electricion, or a carpender. Or he might have been waiting on someone else and you interupted. Ever think about that? These folks are TOP-NOTCH and no -2 by a thin skinned whinner will change my mind!

Insults of other members are not tolerated here. If it happens again vacations will be handed out.

:mods:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Feb 20, 2010
    I would sincerely hope an electrician or carpenter wouldn't be behind the counter chatting with the workers when the construction area is in a different area. If he was a contractor why did he finally acknowledge my presence and reluctantly hand me an uncleared rifle? The person by the long gun counter was not helping anyone just chatting with co-workers. I did not interrupt anyone as I waited for him to address me. I am not a whiner and do not expect to change an opinion by any of the fan boys. The purpose of my post is to alert others of the poor customer service I received. Many others have had similar experiences as shown by the responses in this thread as well as responses I have received in person and via PM.
    Dan

May 14, 2011
    colorado

Put the wheels back on your house and move along:rolleyes:

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    *The customer is NOT always right*

The customer is Always Right, is the first rule of customer service . . .

same as, the Gun is Always Loaded (for rules for gun safety).

Yes, the customer is not always right and the gun may not be loaded but you should treat both as they are (for your own best interest).

;)

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I wanted not to post in thread because I don't like it but felt I should. Since everyone is airing their experiences I may as well add mine.

BGF is the only shop in the area that I have not been ignored or threaded poorly. And i frequent the shops regularly. I was in the new BGF shop last Friday and it was almost funny how many times we were asked to be helped by 4 or 5 different people.

The prices to me are right in line other shops and the new place has a nice selection and variety including some mil surp rifles.

They are extremely knowledgable and helpful when it comes to supressors. Greg himself answered many questions I had when selecting mine and couldn't have been more happy. I recommend them for all of these needs especially.

They are by far the easiest shop and most reasonably priced to deal with transfers. I will never not use BGF for anther transfer if I can avoid it. I learned valuable lessons in price gouging and crappy customer service from some local shops while BGF was in the process of moving. These were items that were not stocked or even possibly available so it wasn't like I was taking business from the shops. You'd think someone transferring a $1000+ item might be exactly the clientele you'd want in your store, not turn away their future business.

Lastly, Corey has been a huge help with answers for any newbie and later questions with regard to NFA items both on INGO and outside. He has always answered promptly and thoroughly with any items and questions even during the shop move which I know was a crazy time for that group.

I agree with something that was said before in this thread, if I listened to all of the comments on this site there would be few to no places to buy anything firearm or ammo related. Each person has their own experience and others should think for themselves and create their own opinion.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Sigh. I'm not saying who's right or wrong. That is between them. I knew how this thread would turn out when I first saw it and was told by the OP that he did NOT contact BGF about his problems. Again I will say this thread is useless.

Remember the old days when we could post a "-1 member" and then the thread would be locked for a reply? I think if these threads are going to be allowed they should also be locked.

Talk about Dons, Pops, Elmores or whoever all you want but don't come on here and leave a bomb for an advertising supporter LGS to find.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    No complaints out of me about them. Last time I went up there the service was great but I got myself all bent out of shape because they didnt have anything I was looking for, Then Dummy me realized they were unpacking.... I guess Im the lucky guy I live smack in the middle between ITP and BGF....

Solitaire

Shooter
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    You encountered poor customer service and a crappy attitude from behind the counter at a gun shop?

Huh. Imagine that. :):

I've never been to a gun shop that didn't have at least one peach behind the counter. The old retired guy who completely ignores you, the young arrogant blowhard mall ninja, the gal who doesn't know a Sig from a Sigma. I've met every one of these characters in local gun shops in or near Indy.

Sometimes I overlook it, if they have a really good deal on something I want. Sometimes I just smile at them, look at what I came to see, then go buy it at another shop or go home and order it online. What gun shop owners need to realize is that they usually don't have anything that I can't get somewhere else for a similar price. The difference is whether or not I enjoy my time in their store. The owners need to make sure that their employees are treating every customer with respect.

I've alternately been treated well and been ignored at BGF. They are close to my house, and they will have a range soon (allegedly :):), so I'm sure I'll be back for that. Whether I buy another gun or accessories from them is more dependent on the attitude of their employee at the time than a $25 price difference between shops.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There are a bunch of somebodies who need to get a life. Eight pages of debate over how BGF treats its customers is anal in the extreme! Can anyone say OCD? Let it go, folks, and quit arguing and name-calling.

The OP made his point. Others compared and contrasted with it. BGF offered to discuss with the OP to improve the relationship. Time to move one. As my Jamaican friends put it, "Nuf sed!"

Last edited:

DialTone301

Expert
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    3 of us went in there Saturday afternoon for the first time. Everyone behind the counter offered to help us. We all thought it was a nice place and will visit them again.

All I know is that when I listen to Rush Limbaugh on WIBC, 93.1, I have heard their commercials advertising their 25 yard shooting range as early as early November. One day I decided I was going to their to range, but checked this forum to see what members had to say about them.

I was deeply disappointed in BGF once I started reading comments that the range still wasn't open. I listen to Rush everyday and have heard their advertising the 25 yard shooting range for weeks.

Is this false and deceptive advertising? You be the judge.

I believe this specific post is very valuable. We know that the OP was not an isolated case. We know that there are issues among their employees. We know that these employee issues are continuously present in their business model, but are tolerated by management.

What we don't know is why are these employees tolerated by management. In this labor rich environment there are more employees to choose from. They could also retrain their staff, but I see no evidence based upon experiences listed here that this has occurred. Maybe it will in the future.

I have scratched them off my list of gun shops to visit at this time, but will consider visiting in the future if there is improvement in customer service.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have NEVER spent one dime, in BGF, but I get good treatment every time I go in. I took a couple of buddies in there, and my one buddy, was shopping for his 1st AR. This was B4 they moved. We were all treated very nice, and everyone got attention, who needed it. I have NO complaints, about BGF, and will return. I visited one Sat. B4 they were officially opened, and after posted hours, (at that time) and walked around the shop, looked at all the cases, and all the guns in the rack, asked a couple of questions, and told them, when I left I would let them get back to work, and would not bother them..... They told me, NO BOTHER, come back anytime ..... I will !!!!!

Top Bottom