• ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Maybe. I did see him sitting in the Wilson booth at the NRA show. :@ya:

I do think Wilson makes a nice gun. Only failures I have had with mine was ammo related. Not the guns fault that I seated a primer backwards or Federal didn't put enough powder in a cartridge. I did have some issues with it not wanting to lock back on an empty magazine. Not an uncommon problem with other guns as well. Wilson tweaked something and had the gun back to me quick.

If I remember right, he was at the Springfield Armory booth at the 2016 Shot Show.

Also, I've never had that problem with my Glocks :D

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If I remember right, he was at the Springfield Armory booth at the 2016 Shot Show.

Also, I've never had that problem with my Glocks :D

Your Glock will fire a cartridge with backward primer? :dunno:

Oh, slide lock.....I have seen Glocks not lock back on slide lock. Regardless of what you read I have seen them puke worse then that on the range. Although for the most part stock Glocks are problem free.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Your Glock will fire a cartridge with backward primer? :dunno:

Oh, slide lock.....I have seen Glocks not lock back on slide lock. Regardless of what you read I have seen them puke worse then that on the range. Although for the most part stock Glocks are problem free.

As with anything.....keep-em cleaned and lubed.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    :)

I have no issues with any choice someone makes in a handgun. I might snicker from knowledge gathered over the years as to a certain marque but no issues.
    I have a polymer CZ and 2 steel CZ's nestled in the safe with a group of 1911's. Last I looked they were all getting along nicely.

No G*)%#@'s
    Oh, I agree, I had 3 1911s at one time. Sold the basic one for money, sold another same reason, although I had two of those. I still have more than a few Sigs, XD, Glock, and a CZ85. I think the 1911 is pretty great, and I think it is more durable then some give it credit for. Just like the AR vs AK fight. AR is more durable then people think, and the AK is more accurate than people give it credit for.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Delta Force Larry Vickers, who carried the 1911 in the service, and is a die hard 1911 guy, only recommends the Wilson Combat if you want to carry a 1911. If not a Wilson, he recommends a Glock 19.

He also says the 1911 is more for an experienced gunsmith. If you don't have the money, or even the time, to maintain the 1911, then it's not for you.

If a die hard 1911 guy says that, you can't help but pay attention.
    I understand that too. Although I'd personally pick my Sig p228 over my Glock 23 anyday. My Sig has been just as durable and more accurate. Weight isn't that big an issue even when I carried all day. Heck, my duty pistol for 3 years was the M11.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Maybe. I did see him sitting in the Wilson booth at the NRA show. :@ya:

I do think Wilson makes a nice gun. Only failures I have had with mine was ammo related. Not the guns fault that I seated a primer backwards or Federal didn't put enough powder in a cartridge. I did have some issues with it not wanting to lock back on an empty magazine. Not an uncommon problem with other guns as well. Wilson tweaked something and had the gun back to me quick.

Edit: I would entertain even taking a bet on one of those high profile classes where the instructor will refund your money if your 1911 makes it without a "failure". I do think the gun would make it and I think I could get through it with no user induced flub ups like not disengaging the safety. I am not sure the magazines would take 2-3 days of dropping them in the dirt though. Also not sure I wouldn't fail to seat a magazine properly or the gun wouldn't lock up on empty, but I wouldn't take that bet with any handgun. I can tell you that I spent 3 days in a high round count pistol class with another shooter who would recommend Glocks as the definitive fighting pistol and we both had exactly one malfunction.

I used to train exclusively with 1911s and I went through most three day classes without malfunctions. When I did have one, it was a bit of a shock!

It was only one day, but I had three 9mm 1911s that functioned perfectly in a Henk Iverson class and each of them got dropped in the sand/dirt at Sandburr multiple times when they ran dry. I wasn't surprised by it, but it did make me feel good that they worked under semi-adverse conditions pretty well.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I used to train exclusively with 1911s and I went through most three day classes without malfunctions. When I did have one, it was a bit of a shock!

It was only one day, but I had three 9mm 1911s that functioned perfectly in a Henk Iverson class and each of them got dropped in the sand/dirt at Sandburr multiple times when they ran dry. I wasn't surprised by it, but it did make me feel good that they worked under semi-adverse conditions pretty well.

We these off the shelf high end 1911's or had they been messaged, or something like a Taurus? Honestly I have been to a fair number of classes at varying levels, and it is a surprise to me when a 1911 makes it through with no issues. Of course the gun has always run flawlessly up to that point. I may break my no class vow for next year just to take my 1911 that AllenM is working on for me to see if it makes it. Of course that won't be a fair comparison to a stock gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We these off the shelf high end 1911's or had they been messaged, or something like a Taurus? Honestly I have been to a fair number of classes at varying levels, and it is a surprise to me when a 1911 makes it through with no issues. Of course the gun has always run flawlessly up to that point. I may break my no class vow for next year just to take my 1911 that AllenM is working on for me to see if it makes it. Of course that won't be a fair comparison to a stock gun.

I think there were periods of time when some of the makers made better guns and lesser guns. I had good fortune with Kimber (two pre-Series II and one post), but I know a lot of Kimbers have problems. My 9mms guns (none are Kimbers) took some work to make them reliable, but once it was done, I've had pretty good luck and over 30K rounds through the first. I did have an actual double feed (not a failure to extract) with one at the last USPSA match I shot with it. It was with an older 10rd Metalform mag whose feed lips had started to spread, but it still counts as a malfunction.

I used to keep an Excel file with round counts and notes on all of my guns with documentation of all malfunctions. I haven't updated it in a couple of years because 1) I don't shoot much, and 2) I don't choose to make the time anymore. The 9mm Springfield Loaded would fail to go all the way into battery typically after 2000 rounds without cleaning or relubing (yes, I was seeing how far I could push it). Since I started adding lube when it looked dry, it hasn't had a problem. And contrary to popular belief, I have wiped the crud out of the inside a few times.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Depends on what people call a malfunction. Not seating magazines or disengaging the safeties are user errors. Still problems but not a gun issue. I had a Smith 1911 that a person really had to slap the mag home to get it in. 1911 magazines seem to be a weak point compared to a Glock and that leads to a lot of issues. 1911 extractors are not nearly as robust and I think lead to some of the issues with needing to keep the guns clean.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Depends on what people call a malfunction. Not seating magazines or disengaging the safeties are user errors. Still problems but not a gun issue. I had a Smith 1911 that a person really had to slap the mag home to get it in. 1911 magazines seem to be a weak point compared to a Glock and that leads to a lot of issues. 1911 extractors are not nearly as robust and I think lead to some of the issues with needing to keep the guns clean.

Some people who shoot 1911s don't know how much crud can and will accumulate inside of the extractor channel. When enough gets in there, it can prevent the extractor from flexing properly (it's a spring) or even lead to it breaking.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some people who shoot 1911s don't know how much crud can and will accumulate inside of the extractor channel. When enough gets in there, it can prevent the extractor from flexing properly (it's a spring) or even lead to it breaking.

Also properly cleaning the gun.
    Where the barrel lock up occurs in the slide is a much ignored area. This will cause issues as well.
    Yes, the 1911 does require maint.
    So has every hot rod I have ever owned. Gun car bike or boat. You beat them they need some attention.

I have seen several of the new age plastic offerings go serious round count between cleanings and run just fine. But they hiccup on occasion as well.

If you should choose the 1911 platform do it knowing it will need some attention now and again.
    We have always cleaned our guns every time they get ran. They are a huge investment and just putting them up dirty is not something we do.
    If I only run a few mags through one it will not get a deep clean but I will swab it and lube the slide. It is something I enjoy doing.
    This also sets me on course for more mods. I know, it is a sickness.

Top Bottom