• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I just keep all the original boxes, which always have the serial on them.

Good idea, but I'd have to build a separate shed for the boxes. :D

Probably a good idea for collectors or people buying for an investment.

What I've learned about gun values is if someone really wants it, and you've take care of it, it'll retain its value.

I often wish I could have kept all my boxes. :(

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Niece was broken into down at New Castle the other day. Most very likely the neighbor girl. Booze n popular painkillers left, as was electronics, etc. They took her laptop, I pod, a handful of costume jewelry, and, of all things, an old Betty Crocker cookbook. She pinged the I pod, and it registered too close to her apartment to identify. Duh. So yes, write 'em all down, and invest in a safe or bolted down gun cabinet.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I was just recently robbed, kicked in the door, took my tvs, laptops and guns.

So just a friendly reminder, write down all your serial number and maybe some pics also!

Serial numbers for TVs and laptops are good to keep too.

RIP
    CVA Optima
    Ruger Security Six
    8mm Mauser
    91/30 Mosin
    Walter P22
    Marlin Model 60
    Winchester Single shot 22lr

And last, but most important...
    My Inland M1 Carbine

Good advice but the safe is the only real answer. The majority of my collection is heirloom pieces, pre '68 with no serial numbers.

jburris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    henry county
    sorry to hear of your loss. keep an eye on armslist. you might find a couple on there. I write down everything and have pics of all my guns. and They all have some kind of marking made by me on them where only I know where they are, just for this reason.

duff72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Found a great app for the iPhone called itemizer. You can add pics and any info it will keep track of all in a nice list that cam be printed as a PDF . There is a free version called itemizer jr. But it is limited in usefulness . Pay the $3.99 and get the full app, it is very user friendly and adaptable . You won't regret it:ar15:

BTSTEVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Iphone app that you can inventory your guns and ammo

I use an app for the iphone called Gun Log +P and it logs your guns and you can track ammo on hand and shot. It is great for any gun owner with an Iphone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good advice but the safe is the only real answer. The majority of my collection is heirloom pieces, pre '68 with no serial numbers.

When my 1st "X" relieved me of my military hardware there was no real way to track them and as I had gotten them through relatives there was no paper trail and in the late 70's it was not that important. I could not show owner ship.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Very good advice - most sorry for your loss, possibly your insurance will pay for replacement, if you are a member of the NRA you may check on the insurance they furnish. My son and I both collect guns and share the collection, a couple of months ago we spent the better part of a day taking pictures of every gun with a slip of paper containing the serial number in the picture. Then I made a spreadsheet with the description, serial no., caliber, etc., when/where purchased and est. cost when purchased, location stored (his /my house safes) and burned three DVD's containing the pictures and spreadsheets. He has 1, I have one and my wife filed one. Only problem now is adding the new guns in a timely manner. I also need to contact my insurance carrier and make sure they are all covered for replacement cost.

I did this while off with hernia surgury this summer. Did a spread sheet, with picures, serial numbers, family heirlooms, total descriptions. Jump drives are your friend. Make several, do not keep them at home, take pictures of everything in your house while you are at it. Will help with insurance if nothing else. Erase from computer when finished.
    Kind of a fun project. I did this also for family members, that way they know what was family hand me downs, and put copy with my will.

Top Bottom