Will Marijuana be legalized under Trump?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm okay with legalization, I just think the consequences of legalization should be thought out first. I guess I'm okay with taxing the MJ sales above the normal sales tax, to defray the societal costs. We've discussed the whammy that goes with socializing the costs of poor decisions. If you expect the state to pay for your mistakes, the state has a right to tax you for making those decisions. You put nanny in your life, nanny will naturally nanny you.

Oh I agree with you. And I've said here before that as long as people have a financial interest in your behaviors, they'll think they have a right to "put guard rails" on them. It happens in various walks of life--if you screw up and somebody else has to pay, they try to stop you from screwing up. If you want to take any say-so out of the hands of the busy bodies, don't be taking their money and don't cost them any either. When folks can step over your drug stupored body and past your starving, shivering, rain-soaked kids knowing they won't be forced, through taxation, to bail you or them out, they'll have no leverage to change your behavior.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Originally Posted by edporch In the same way we allow people to make wine and beer for themselves, we should allow people to grow marijuana for their own use.
    BUT it should remain illegal to deal it.

Yet another govt permission slip? No thank you. Business, between parties, especially consenting individuals, should be beyond the purview of govt. Do I like the idea of legalizing drugs? No. But I shouldn't use the govt to force my morality on another.

I don't disagree with you, I'm just offering a realistic suggestion of how marijuana could be accommodated.

Just like I can't build a brewery, a winery, or a distillery and just start selling it to people either.

So to begin with legalizing marijuana for personal use within the present framework of how individuals can brew beer or make wine is a reasonable first step.

Though I don't use marijuana, I know from life experience that I'd rather live next door to a pot smoker than a drunk.
    And locking people up for using marijuana is a stupid waste of resources.

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It would probably be an easier sell if coupled with the legislation were a ban on using public funds to prop up derelicts.

It probably would, and I'm all for that.

On the other hand, either we're propping them up in jail or we're propping them up on the outside. How many alcoholics are propped up by public funds? Should we ban that as well, until social safety nets are removed?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

On the other hand, either we're propping them up in jail or we're propping them up on the outside. How many alcoholics are propped up by public funds? Should we ban that as well, until social safety nets are removed?

Like it or not, whether it's logical or not, alcohol just doesn't have the widespread stigma that other drugs do. Humans are funny that way...and they vote.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg

This. The argument that marijuana (or really almost any drug, frankly) should be illegal because we have tax-payer funded programs propping them up is completely ludicrous when you look at the billions and billions of dollars tax payers spend in keeping millions of Americans in jail, paying to track them when they are out on parole/probation, funding the veritable army of black clad shock troops that apparently American law enforcement has generally devolved into (particularly at the Federal level).

We have 330,000 people in prison for drug offenses currently (at an average of $30,000 per year to keep them there, ignoring the positive economic benefit and tax money they could generate if they weren't in jail and were actually working a job).

This country spends over $40 billion dollars a year on the War on Drugs (and that's probably under reporting it) and have been doing so since 1971 when it was declared. We spent well over a $1 trillion (that's $1,000,000,000,000) doing it and getting absolutely nowhere... unless you include destabilizing Mexico and half of central and South America as a good thing (which it demonstrably isn't).

So, don't talk to me about "propping up" drug addicts as a reason to continue this nonsense. I'd rather prop up a person with a drug problem than continue to prop up a failed police state that is simultaneously violating Americans' civil liberties and squandering billions of dollars (which they will take from the tax payers at gunpoint if you refuse to pay).

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I want to open a greenhouse for people that want to own their plants but not possess them. I'll rent you a pallet, give you an app with remote cam access, adjustments for lights, water, etc. grow whatever you want.

but when you miss a payment...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You have to learn how to spell Marijauana first. You've lost the cool factor.

....kinda like the Polish guy who put the potato in the back of his swim trunks.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This really just sounds like you are saying anyone that smokes marijuana or sells it is a terrible person. Sounds very closed minded to be honest. And no, there are other studies that have been done with THC and CBD. You would be very surprised to see the benefits that can be had from this natural plant you seem to be so scared of.

Edit: Do you not associate with people who drink beer/wine/whiskey also? If so, you should rethink that because there are many more deaths and injuries tied to those than marijuana.

Wow, go read my first post again. I'm not sure how you jumped to some of these conclusions, maybe you should burn one and chill out. I don't remember saying anything about people who partake in the herb being anything (except for that guy from high school who for all practical purposes has been brain-dead since junior high, if you met him you'd agree.) That includes the nice lady up the street and the older guy across the way. I grew up in the 70s, I do remember what it smells like.

I do have a problem with drug dealers. I realize not everyone can grow pot and you can't buy it in the garden section at Lowes or at the Speedway down the street. I still have a problem with drug dealers, and the people they work for. They tend to be rather horrible.

By the way, I'm drinking a beer now. Been legal to sell and brew since 1933, never was illegal to drink.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This

This. The argument that marijuana (or really almost any drug, frankly) should be illegal because we have tax-payer funded programs propping them up is completely ludicrous when you look at the billions and billions of dollars tax payers spend in keeping millions of Americans in jail, paying to track them when they are out on parole/probation, funding the veritable army of black clad shock troops that apparently American law enforcement has generally devolved into (particularly at the Federal level).

We have 330,000 people in prison for drug offenses currently (at an average of $30,000 per year to keep them there, ignoring the positive economic benefit and tax money they could generate if they weren't in jail and were actually working a job).

This country spends over $40 billion dollars a year on the War on Drugs (and that's probably under reporting it) and have been doing so since 1971 when it was declared. We spent well over a $1 trillion (that's $1,000,000,000,000) doing it and getting absolutely nowhere... unless you include destabilizing Mexico and half of central and South America as a good thing (which it demonstrably isn't).

So, don't talk to me about "propping up" drug addicts as a reason to continue this nonsense. I'd rather prop up a person with a drug problem than continue to prop up a failed police state that is simultaneously violating Americans' civil liberties and squandering billions of dollars (which they will take from the tax payers at gunpoint if you refuse to pay).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I don't see how trump can slam sanctuary cities that defy federal law and at the same time allow states to defy the Feds on MJ.

so... Will he sue the states, remove it as a schedule I drug, or will it continue to be status quo?

Legalization of marijuana is so far down the Pareto chart of important issues for Trump to deal with, that I would be fine if it got ignored for his entire 4 (or 8) years in office.

Same with all of the "war on drugs". Redirect law enforcement to enforcing the border, and deporting illegals - and once that reaches an acceptable level, then start dealing with gangs and other violent criminals.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    People who are against pot but for alcohol are being hypocrites. I don't blame them because they have been conditioned to believe mj is something it's not. It is a natural substance. In its natural unaltered form it is just a plant. Now through human fiddling they have managed to make stronger strains and those **** people up harder. But people build a tolerance to MJ just like alcohol or pills or any other substance.

i believe in MJ for medical and recreational use. I do not believe govt has the authority to tell someone what they can do to or with their own body.
    If you drive drunk their are laws that you will be faced with. Same with driving on MJ.
    or if you commit any other crime while under the substance.
    i don't like pre-policing in our current world. Let people **** up and pay the price if they want.

the war on drugs was a brilliant revenue generator as well as a way to turn Law Enforcement including incarceration into a multi billion dollar or trillion dollar business.

Legalize it. nothing changes except now you won't have innocent people going to jail that don't belong there because officer soft wants to ruin someone's life for an ounce of weed because he's just enforcing the law and being a good robot.

a lot of good cops just throw that **** away. They know the weed isn't the problem. The people that wanna turn it into a religious agenda or something similar are the problems. Someone who turned water into wine specifically to party probably smoked some
    MJ in their life too!

i don't use it. When you take certain medicines you have to take regular drug tests so I can't smoke or eat it for my pain. Instead I'm on pills that will kill me and that cost the system much more money than using a plant for relief would.
    people only see bad. Not good.
    i rarely use alcohol and never to self medicate. everything in moderation. That's the solution to a lot of the worlds problem

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The people that wanna turn it into a religious agenda or something similar are the problems. Someone who turned water into wine specifically to party probably smoked some
    MJ in their life too!

Maybe it's just southern Indiana youth camps but I have never heard anyone try to make a Christian case against weed....Maybe it was the times (late 1970's) but the Youth Group (Baptist) I hung out with were a bunch of country folk that (appeared) to have NO problem with it...Even today when I hear a preacher talking about drugs being a problem if you pop up and start to defend weed they scoff at you and say, "I said DRUGS were a problem...Not weed.." Again that may be just a southern Indiana thing but I have not heard one Christian rail against it in 45 plus years....

IMHO and others may disagree....

Psalm 101:14 KJV
    "He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;"

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Maybe it's just southern Indiana youth camps but I have never heard anyone try to make a Christian case against weed....Maybe it was the times (late 1970's) but the Youth Group (Baptist) I hung out with were a bunch of country folk that (appeared) to have NO problem with it...Even today when I hear a preacher talking about drugs being a problem if you pop up and start to defend weed they scoff at you and say, "I said DRUGS were a problem...Not weed.." Again that may be just a southern Indiana thing but I have not heard one Christian rail against it in 45 plus years....

IMHO and others may disagree....

Psalm 101:14 KJV
    "He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;"

There is certainly biblical basis against inebriation, which I would think applies to alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, or any other intoxicant. So: drink, but don't get drunk - which I suppose would be analogous to smoking weed, but not getting high?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There is certainly biblical basis against inebriation, which I would think applies to alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, or any other intoxicant. So: drink, but don't get drunk - which I suppose would be analogous to smoking weed, but not getting high?

That's how I always figured it....Moderation...Again, this was southern Indiana in the 1970's...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I don't see how trump can slam sanctuary cities that defy federal law and at the same time allow states to defy the Feds on MJ.

so... Will he sue the states, remove it as a schedule I drug, or will it continue to be status quo?

this came up several times during the press conference yesterday. A distinction was made between medical and recreational.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

There will always be a fight against other drugs as long as we a society accept the use of intoxicants at all. Alcohol and tobacco being legal is a problem. This is where the Muslims have it right. :twocents:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom