• Will a gun fire in space?

• Total voters

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nah, it's statistically bound to collide into something eventually. The question is how long will it travel prior to it's doomed collision?

We could do some guestimates. It would also depend on the location of the shot and the direction it was fired. If you fire it at what might be the edge of the galaxy that's farthest from the center of the universe, and fired away from the center, it could go a long, long way. If you shoot toward a direction where it's more crowded (relatively speaking), methinks you'd not only have a bigger chance of hittin' somethin', but you may send it toward something big enough to pull the bullet to it.

Maybe even curve the bullet. A nice elliptical orbit around something really big would have a nice Angelina Jolie ring to it.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Standard pressure is 100 kPa or 14.504 psi. (This is the pressure for "standard conditions" on Earth. Typically what we experience.)

SAAMI Pressure for 9mm +P is 265,450 kPa or 38,500 psi.

So the difference between the inside of the barrel and the outside is 265,550 kPa or 38,514.504 psi in a perfect vacuum of space.

The gun will barely feel the difference. In fact there is more variation in that with typical inaccuracies of powder volume in most rounds.

The round is completely sealed before and during the firing from atmospheric oxygen, so all combustion will happen the same way with one possible problem: Temperature.

Temperature in space is around 2.725 Kelvin. This is around -270 C or -455 F. So without solar radiation, the firearm will be cold enough to potentially not allow the primer to ignite the powder. Also, there may be low temperature metallurgy issues that cause problems at that low of a temperature. There will more than likely be issue with polymer parts.

My Glock MAY Kaboom, in a non-humor sense. It would be the grip failing, even if the barrel and slide did not fatigue. I have not looked at the temperature range of the polymer that Glock or others use for the plastic pistols.

Now, lets get to another problem. How much do you lubricate your gun before you go into space? You did use dry lubrication so the grease and oil isn't frozen, right? -455 F is COLD. Otherwise, you will get a jam after the first shot, because the slide isn't going anywhere.

Anyhow, that's all I got. Because of the temperature issue, my answer has to be a probably or most likely.

Last edited:

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    A gun can be fired in space and underwater:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ectL29w_9l8]YouTube - shooting a glock underwater[/ame]

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Underwater! FTW!!! :rockwoot:

I will admit... I voted for not firing in space.
    But I now stand corrected.
    Despite the harsh conditions, the probability is that it will actually fire (as long as it doesn't get too cold)

The problem you have is the sights will be off since the bullet will never drop from the effects of gravity.
    I say realign the sights parallel with the barrel and aim a 1/4" high.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    A gun may be fired in space, the most effective known model is the "Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator".

:):

21501BP.jpg

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I thought that was why they made the Gyro Jet pistol long ago? It was deemed the gun that could shoot in outer space. Does anyone remember the Gyro Jet?

Sam4246

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Oh, I have an idea. How about we use taxpayer dollars to fund a NASA mission to find out for certain. Heh!
    I pick bacon because the question really is do you have a target in space? Heh!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Oh, I have an idea. How about we use taxpayer dollars to fund a NASA mission to find out for certain. Heh!
    I pick bacon because the question really is do you have a target in space? Heh!

No need to waste taxpayer dollars... some of us have knowledge of chemistry, and already know for certain!

But good choice, nonetheless.

Welcome to INGO. :cheers:

Top Bottom