• Total voters

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    2 KNO3 + S + 3 C → K2S + N2 + 3 CO2

The above equation represents the chemical reaction that occurs after you light up your boom stick.

What exactly are you shooting? That's only for black powder. Modern smokeless rounds use a double base (usually) nitrocellulose/nitroglycerine NC/NG based powder. The powders carry their own oxygen. Muzzle flash is caused by a secondary combustion of hot gases coming into contact with atmospheric oxygen, so in space smokeless powders should have a lower muzzle flash.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Bang!

I think it would fire but there are 2 important things to consider.
    1. So far, there have been no prairie dogs discovered in space.
    2. If prairie dogs were discovered in space, half the fun would be gone because you couldn't hear the the gun firing or the bullet impact.
    Bang - Whop would become - !

Furthermore......Based on some of the answers here, I think we've discovered a whole new fact of physics. Recoil must be caused either by oxygen slamming into the chamber and barrel to support combustion of the gunpowder or just plain old air violently refilling the barrel which has just been completely voided by the expulsion of the bullet! I can't determine which. I have to go shoot for research purposes. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    What exactly are you shooting? That's only for black powder. Modern smokeless rounds use a double base (usually) nitrocellulose/nitroglycerine NC/NG based powder. The powders carry their own oxygen. Muzzle flash is caused by a secondary combustion of hot gases coming into contact with atmospheric oxygen, so in space smokeless powders should have a lower muzzle flash.

Yup, that formula was for black powder. I chose it for the example mainly because it was simple and didn't have some sort of proprietary patented otherwise non deductible ingredient blend. Ye olde path of least resistance.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    no, people have forgotten that it takes air to ignite a combustible material. No air not combustion. dont believe me?Light a match and stick it inside of a jar and close the lid tight. Flame will go out as it uses up the oxygen.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I say no. The temp in space is about 3 K or -454 F. At those temps the primer could not generate enough heat to ignite the powder.

Except for the fact there is little to no heat transfer in a vacuum.

So if the gun was room temperature when you took it with you on a spacewalk it would likely remain room temperature for hours or even days. Unless you encountered a cloud of gas or dust.

I would say that the greater danger isn't the gun getting to cold its the gun getting to hot from solar radiation.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Except for the fact there is little to no heat transfer in a vacuum.

So if the gun was room temperature when you took it with you on a spacewalk it would likely remain room temperature for hours or even days. Unless you encountered a cloud of gas or dust.

I would say that the greater danger isn't the gun getting to cold its the gun getting to hot from solar radiation.

I'd say almost any firearm would fire - once. A metallurgist would have to answer whether the metal parts of the weapon would hold up to the temperatures, and whether or not lubrication - or lack thereof - would be a factor.

Top Bottom