• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hbarnett1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Having a round in the chamber could be the difference between life,and death.For you,her,or both of you.Better safe than sorry is always best.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Look, one person has to be responsible for the safety and security of your family and that person has final word on what is proper. I don't tell my wife your doing the laundry wrong. She has taken that role (her choice) and I leave those decisions to her.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    If I had been the OP an wife had said that to me, I would of responded..."You ignorant stupid &^$%#$# ." But I'm divorced now so don't have to worry about such things......anymore.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I understand the rule regarding guns. However, we're not talking about the safety or technique of the OP, we're talking about his wife. Perhaps her trust and respect of her spouse would supercede training and knowledge she may or may not have about guns.

I'm not suggesting he roll over, I'm advocating against agreeing to and then not doing so.
    If she wanted your son not clipped in, and you did it anyway, there's no potential risk to a third party. Really a separate discussion. In the thread, everyone else is suggesting you tell someone that a gun does not have a chambered round when in fact it does. I realize it's just testosterone an "I'm my own man" syndrome, but it's likely to be followed by a few readers which multiplies risk.

And I'm not saying he shouldn't keep one in the chamber, jus don't do it and tell someone that you are not.

Where's her respect for him in this matter? It's a two way street.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Look, one person has to be responsible for the safety and security of your family and that person has final word on what is proper. I don't tell my wife your doing the laundry wrong. She has taken that role (her choice) and I leave those decisions to her.

Hah, again, completely missing the point. This is NOT about whether you should do it or not, it's a relational issue about lying to your spouse and setting up an unsafe environment.

What would your response be if you said "honey, did you do the laundry" and she said "why yes dear, just like you asked" and then your underwear drawer is empty?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Interesting post. I had sort of a similar situation a week ago. Wife and I were in a new CVS but a questionalbe neighborhood. While we were at the back of the store a large and diverse group of people was milling around the checkout at the front. I didn't like the "feel." My wife wanted to get out of the rear and up towards the front because the pharmacy was closed and she felt "strange." I refused and she got pretty pissed. The next day I told her, "You were wrong. I wasn't moving to the front because you didn't want to be in the empty rear. I didn't like the group up front and felt like it might be a group shop lift or worse. The only people in the back with us were an overweight woman who I could have killed with one punch (I'm 6'-1" 195lb) and her overweight little girl. If something would have started in the front I was ready to pull you down and pull my G23 and sit it out. You were wrong." She finally got over it and agreed that I was right. I suggest you tell your wife she is wrong and you will do what you know is right. Don't play games or deceive her. Just tell her what you are doing and why. No argument. That's it.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    my father tried to tell me there is no need to carry my 1911 cocked and locked with one in the chamber. he said it doesnt take but a second to unholster and rack the slide......i screamed "Erroneous!!!!......Erroneous on both counts!" then left the room with my 1911 cocked and locked with one in the pipe and he has never said anything else. stand your ground man, dont let her mind ninja ya

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Hah, again, completely missing the point. This is NOT about whether you should do it or not, it's a relational issue about lying to your spouse and setting up an unsafe environment.

What would your response be if you said "honey, did you do the laundry" and she said "why yes dear, just like you asked" and then your underwear drawer is empty?

I posted just the opposite. I posted that he should have conversation with her, not lie. That his judgment as the expert in this area should be given priority.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    my father tried to tell me there is no need to carry my 1911 cocked and locked with one in the chamber. he said it doesnt take but a second to unholster and rack the slide......i screamed "Erroneous!!!!......Erroneous on both counts!" then left the room with my 1911 cocked and locked with one in the pipe and he has never said anything else. stand your ground man, dont let her mind ninja ya

Your family dynamics are awesome ! :dunno:

That made me laugh, thanks for that.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Downtown Fort Wayne
    I always carry with just a mag in and chamber empty. If you dont have time to rack the slide, you shouldnt be where you are.

What a foolish thing to say. How and why you carry is your business but I should be wherever I am, you know that whole free country thing. Or do you think criminals or anyone meaning to do you harm is going to give you a warning shot? Or do you think they only live, congregate, in certain areas? I don't, the whole point of carrying for me is to protect myself and my family and the best way I see to do that is to be at least equally or better prepared than the villians.

:patriot:"Well, if ain't cocked and loaded it don't work!", Marshall Rueben "Rooster" Cogburn

To the original point, you don't need to carry with one in the chamber anymore than you need to carry a firearm. That is, of course, if your satisfied with just letting whatever may happen regardless of how it will affect you and your loved ones.....

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Around our home we have what is known as "cook's prerogative" which we extend to all kinds of areas such as driving on a trip. Basically, the cook can and will take advice from other family members but when it comes down to it, the cook is responsible for the taste of the meal and has the final word. We've done this for almost four decades now.

I can easily see myself saying to my wife, "Hon, cook's prerogative... when you carry your gun you can carry it any way you'd like." Once those magic words come out of my mouth the worst I would get would be a frown. :-)

Top Bottom