• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Let me see what's going on today on INGO........

oops-wrong-door-57746.gif

:laugh:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Slippery slope much?

Slippery-Slope.png

Yes. Exactly. The people that are most adamant about denying the very existence of the slippery slope are generally the ones that are leading us straight to it. But think, if such a thing actually didn't exist, would there be a term for it in such common use? It's not just a common delusion. Denial of it has become de rigueur among the intelligentsia to the point most will think it is false, but think outside the box they put you in. There are in fact slippery slopes, and this is an excellent example of one.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If I call you, right now, what VUPD called a swath of people... I'd be banned for personal attacks.

My gripe is of the "Do as I say, not as I do" variety.

Doesn't matter. That was all like 5 threads ago. Done on the subject.

Yep, I referred to a whole group of instigators as "petulant children" and I stand by that description wholeheartedly. I did it without mentioning anyone in particular, but rather stated that there were quite a few "pot stirrers" who make the modding job difficult. As much as you want to say I called someone a name, I did not. I stated that an unidentified group of folks are acting a certain way.

digitalmonster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yes. Exactly. The people that are most adamant about denying the very existence of the slippery slope are generally the ones that are leading us straight to it. But think, if such a thing actually didn't exist, would there be a term for it in such common use? It's not just a common delusion. Denial of it has become de rigueur among the intelligentsia to the point most will think it is false, but think outside the box they put you in. There are in fact slippery slopes, and this is an excellent example of one.

Fallacy: Slippery Slope

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

A Supreme Court case finding a federal Constitutional right to birth control led to a federal Constitutional right to abortion, then sodomy, and perhaps soon gay marriage (that line of cases has indeed been cited in the several lower court decisions). This is not a logical fallacy; it is fact. Whether that is a positive or negative progression is a matter of personal perspective, but the progression is there.

Predicting the next (or, if not next, later) step in the progression is more difficult, but there will be a next step, and several steps after that. The "slippery slope" is only a logical fallacy if there is no reliable evidence of a progression or where it may be leading.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    A Supreme Court case finding a federal Constitutional right to birth control led to a federal Constitutional right to abortion, then sodomy, and perhaps soon gay marriage (that line of cases has indeed been cited in the several lower court decisions). This is not a logical fallacy; it is fact. Whether that is a positive or negative progression is a matter of personal perspective, but the progression is there.

Predicting the next (or, if not next, later) step in the progression is more difficult, but there will be a next step, and several steps after that. The "slippery slope" is only a logical fallacy if there is no reliable evidence of a progression or where it may be leading.

:+1:

This board should know that. Anti-gunners love to call any slippery slope argument a logical fallacy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom