• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    A business transaction related to this topic may or may not have occurred in or about Plainfield Shooting Supplies this afternoon. Allegedly.
    Glad I could be of assistance. :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Someone who either is or is not on INGO may or may not have test fired a certain something that could possibly have been discussed in this topic in a purely hypothetical sense, allegedly.

It's also not impossible that a person who may bear a significant resemblance to the aforementioned someone who may or may not exist might be sporting a similarly shaped object during a USPSA match tomorrow (or not) and thereafter. Possibly.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Someone who either is or is not on INGO may or may not have test fired a certain something that could possibly have been discussed in this topic in a purely hypothetical sense, allegedly.

It's also not impossible that a person who may bear a significant resemblance to the aforementioned someone who may or may not exist might be sporting a similarly shaped object during a USPSA match tomorrow (or not) and thereafter. Possibly.
    That clears it up. Good enough.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I am getting rid of my sigs other than my legion Sao, best 9mm I've ever owned! carry it once in a great while, but it sits by my bedside.

I agree. Love my Legion SAO. I have a P229 that I like to shoot on occasion for something different, but it doesn't compare to the SAO goodness... :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    An all stainless P226 (the discontinued model that weighs about 73 lbs) with a short trigger and short reset trigger group is fun to shoot too. It's so heavy you don't feel much. Plus, if you have to pistol whip a pachyderm, you're ready!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have been rethinking some of my firearms lately. I have a 226 that I bought many months ago and haven't shot it yet. I am actually wondering if it is the right pistol for me. I know I am not going to shoot a lot and it appears to me that the DA/SA platform would probably take a more concerted effort to become proficient with it. I hadn't thought about a SAO version.

I CC a Shield and I like that but am starting to think maybe I want a few more rounds so I am actually looking at a....at a..come on say it Greg, a GLOCK G17!

I could use it for target, if I ever get into IDPA and maybe carry it if it isn't too much to carry concealed in a OWB holster.

Thoughts folks?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have been rethinking some of my firearms lately. I have a 226 that I bought many months ago and haven't shot it yet. I am actually wondering if it is the right pistol for me. I know I am not going to shoot a lot and it appears to me that the DA/SA platform would probably take a more concerted effort to become proficient with it. I hadn't thought about a SAO version.

I CC a Shield and I like that but am starting to think maybe I want a few more rounds so I am actually looking at a....at a..come on say it Greg, a GLOCK G17!

I could use it for target, if I ever get into IDPA and maybe carry it if it isn't too much to carry concealed in a OWB holster.

Thoughts folks?

Getting used to DA/SA isn't as tough as some make it out to be. The thing that you have to really worry about is making sure you decock before going back to the holster.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Thoughts folks?

I'd personally get a P226 SAO, but that's an expensive choice. Otherwise, the G17 is a good choice.

Getting used to DA/SA isn't as tough as some make it out to be. The thing that you have to really worry about is making sure you decock before going back to the holster.

Only issue for me is the grip. I run 1911's a lot and am used to a thumbs high grip, riding the safety. That causes problems on a DA/SA gun as my thumb wants to ride on the decocker, which isn't a good idea ;)

On Sigs, that puts my thumb up on the slide stop, which is also a bad idea. It's too bad, as I have a P229 and really like it, but I have to concentrate to get a proper grip on it and even then, I don't shoot it as well as my SAO or 1911's.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'd personally get a P226 SAO, but that's an expensive choice. Otherwise, the G17 is a good choice.

Only issue for me is the grip. I run 1911's a lot and am used to a thumbs high grip, riding the safety. That causes problems on a DA/SA gun as my thumb wants to ride on the decocker, which isn't a good idea ;)

On Sigs, that puts my thumb up on the slide stop, which is also a bad idea. It's too bad, as I have a P229 and really like it, but I have to concentrate to get a proper grip on it and even then, I don't shoot it as well as my SAO or 1911's.

What I have seen (as an instructor and seeing SIG 228's in agency use) see more of a an issue with the thumbs forward grip people end up manipulating the slide stop under recoil. The decocker is actually out of the way and not an issue.

Depending on if your the type that causes the slide to lock open intermittently or consistently on the last shot. Several have just worked on their grip and a few have even aquired the old revolver grip which helps, others have just learned to work through it and automatically cycle the slide upon a reload.

The above doesn't happen a whole lot but we do see it from time to time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I have the most amount of time behind my 9mm 1911.

If I went with the SAO Sig, I'd sell my current 226. Plus I recently sold my M1 Garand so I could afford it.

The question is would I be happier with the Sig or the 17? I have always felt that striker fired pistols feel a little like a squirt gun when you pull the trigger but if I could shoot it better, that's what counts.

As far as carry, I'd probably like carrying the lighter one better.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    What I have seen (as an instructor and seeing SIG 228's in agency use) see more of a an issue with the thumbs forward grip people end up manipulating the slide stop under recoil. The decocker is actually out of the way and not an issue.

Depending on if your the type that causes the slide to lock open intermittently or consistently on the last shot. Several have just worked on their grip and a few have even aquired the old revolver grip which helps, others have just learned to work through it and automatically cycle the slide upon a reload.

The above doesn't happen a whole lot but we do see it from time to time.

I could train to use the Sig DA/SA pistols, I just don't feel the need when I have a P226 SAO that fits my needs pretty well. The DA/SA pistols I was talking about where the decocker is in the way is CZ's. Sold all my DA/SA CZ's as the huge decocker where it was located didn't work for me.

I have the most amount of time behind my 9mm 1911.

If I went with the SAO Sig, I'd sell my current 226. Plus I recently sold my M1 Garand so I could afford it.

The question is would I be happier with the Sig or the 17? I have always felt that striker fired pistols feel a little like a squirt gun when you pull the trigger but if I could shoot it better, that's what counts.

As far as carry, I'd probably like carrying the lighter one better.

I'm guessing that with practice, you'll shoot either as well. The P226 Legion SAO is expensive, but it was good out of the box for me. With the G17, you'll likely need to get new sights and a trigger job, at the minimum. In the end, it'll still be less money than a P226 SAO. I find that I shoot the Legion better than I did Glocks, but you should probably try both to see what you prefer. I know Point Blank in Greenwood would be a drive for you, but I think they have both guns in the rental case. Otherwise, I'd be happy to meet you somewhere sometime and let you run my Legion.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I could train to use the Sig DA/SA pistols, I just don't feel the need when I have a P226 SAO that fits my needs pretty well. The DA/SA pistols I was talking about where the decocker is in the way is CZ's. Sold all my DA/SA CZ's as the huge decocker where it was located didn't work for me.

I'm guessing that with practice, you'll shoot either as well. The P226 Legion SAO is expensive, but it was good out of the box for me. With the G17, you'll likely need to get new sights and a trigger job, at the minimum. In the end, it'll still be less money than a P226 SAO. I find that I shoot the Legion better than I did Glocks, but you should probably try both to see what you prefer. I know Point Blank in Greenwood would be a drive for you, but I think they have both guns in the rental case. Otherwise, I'd be happy to meet you somewhere sometime and let you run my Legion.

You don't have to buy the Legion model, do you? I thought I saw a P226 SAO Elite model. I really should take you up on that. You have offered me several times to try stuff out.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You don't have to buy the Legion model, do you? I thought I saw a P226 SAO Elite model. I really should take you up on that. You have offered me several times to try stuff out.

Letting someone else enjoy your guns is part of the fun... :):

I believe you are correct, there is an Elite model, though I don't think it has the flat trigger.

Top Bottom