• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which platform do you prefer: AR or AK?

• Total voters

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    mosin would have you at a definite disadvantage in a place like iraq or afghanistan...due to capacity, rate of fire, weight, and accuracy (arguably)
    Ill add this they are out there in the sand box and in great numbers mostly with PU optics some with out but not as common as the PSL's and think i only saw the one svd.... however rpk's and ak's are a dime a dozen out there but there using them all

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    AK all day long.
    photo%203%20small.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Summitville
    Why? My AK is just as accurate as an SKS. Not to mention, unless you have an SKS that accepts mags, I also have to reload less. Food for thought.

It my opion that my AR is an all around better gun. However I must admit that my AKs been through the ringer. I just feel more commfortable with AR15.

All of my SKSs take mags. You'd reload before me. (I'm not going to do any joke at the expense at the male of my kind.)

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Ak all day

I think that if my only experience with an AK.was with a WASR that jammed up using brass cased ammunition that I would think AR is the way to go.

That said, I am a Chinese AK lover. I have a DPMS AR15 model A15 20“ 1/7 223/5.56 & a Norinco MAK90 sporter. I dont have problems with my AR and I shoot steel cased surplus ammo along with brass cased Lake City and Federal. Never have any ftf or fte problems with my AR. I shoot the same type of mixed surplus and premium ammunition in my AK with never a single problem.

I TREAT MY AR LIKE A 1911, I KEEP IT WET. I dont have problems with my AR because I clean it regularly and lube the hell out of it with good oil. My AK is also used well oiled, but it is not a requirement for it to run perfectly for quite some time. If I were in a situation where it was just me and my rifle, no clp oil or cleaning kit I would want my AK for that reason. In a perfect scenario with oil and parts available the AR is lighter and more precise than my AK so would be the rifle of choice. In a shtf scenario where I am left with only my rifle and ammunition, no parts, no oil, and I need my rifle to keep running under these conditions. You better damn guarantee that my AK is the rifle Im raking with me. An AR rifle is unreliable at best without lubrication due to its tight specs. The same features which make an AR a superior rifle with its precision tolerences and tight specs are the same features which create the need for oil. The AK with its less precise specs and wider tolerences allow it to operate much more successfully with a dry action. This is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    You might be a little shocked how long a well made AR will run without lube. I've gone in excess of 400 rounds.

I've also not met a WASR that wouldn't run any kind of ammo. They may be ugly, but all I've seen have run.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    AR's are great toys for gun games and such. If you want a fighting rifle, the AK is the only real choice.

<runs for cover>

:D

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Nope

You might be a little shocked how long a well made AR will run without lube. I've gone in excess of 400 rounds.

I've also not met a WASR that wouldn't run any kind of ammo. They may be ugly, but all I've seen have run.

Nope, not shocked an AR could go 400 rounds with out being cleaned and relubed. I am saying that at 500 rds my MAK would be getting warmed up for more and my AR is starting to cycle slowly or fte,ftf if not already, I know whats coming and I am worried about my rifle. No worries with the AK its gonna keep goin and goin and goin

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Any rifle that can fire double a normal combat loadout is good enough. Oil bottle stays with me at all times so that is a non-issue with me and any firearm.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    ok?

A sword has killed more than mosins I would argue but i would want to be armed today with just a sword...I know that is your weapon of choice but there are better options to replace this firearm...although none are as affordable...i have owned 2 or 3 of these and they are ungainly...i would hate to have to sweep a urban home with one or be forced to face down automatic fire with it--just saying---found this quote on the internet so I know it is true

"There is no real way to quantify an answer to your question as posed. Based on the broadest definitions of what constitutes a 'gun' and a 'sword' I would have to go with the sword. While in modern times there is much evidence of the destructive power of guns you have to look at the whole period of recorded human history, from biblical times in the West to the original Chinese dynasties in the East. Guns didn't show up in mass on battle fields until the end of the 1500's. Even then most guns were fired once and then swords, pikes, etc were used. (See Parker's "The Military Revolution"). Even as the gun grew more battle worthy bladed weapons were still the primary weapon of cavalry and local militia. It wasn't until the Seven Years War (French and Indian to Americans) that a war was fought with gunpowder being the primary weapon employed. So to be charitable the gun has only been the 'main killing weapon' for 300 years while bladed weapons have been in use for over 4,000."
    The Mosin has killed mroe people. It has killed since 1891 and still going

Last edited:

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    I saw somewhere, I think it was the top ten rifles in history show possibly, that the AK platform is responsible for around 250,000 deaths, wordwide per year.

That is a just an estimate, give or take each way, but multiplied by 64 years.

That's a whole lotta death regardless of the actual numbers simply for the fact that the AK is the most produced and distributed platform in history

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Your pricing is a little off currently. An SGL21 will run around $750 if you get a good deal and Palmetto is selling ARs for $600. If you shop around you can build a hammer forged Palmetto for under $700.

How can my pricing be off if that is what I paid for them? Did I say palmetto state armory? No. Might they run just as well for you? Sure. Would I just get a colt instead? Absolutely. But that's just me.

I think there is no reason to run a non spec AR-15 if you can get a BCM, COLT, LMT, <and so on blah blah chart this spec that>, for around $1000 if you take in to account the total price of feeding it and the stress you may be inclined to put on the rifle.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    If I were in a combat sitiuation with ranges over 200 yards It would be a ar15. If I were close range AK47

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    AK no question. Especially in CQB.

Why? The 7.62x39 does not produce much more energy than a 5.56x45. Both cartridges are more than adequate for killing a man at close ranges in a defensive scenario.

Both the AK and AR are excellent combat-proven weapons. It's a matter of preference, I prefer the AR because I'm far more familiar with it and have much more trigger time with it. If one is much more familiar with the AK, then the AK is the obvious choice.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dcb500
    Top Bottom