• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which platform do you prefer: AR or AK?

• Total voters

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I vote AK due a few reasons dont get me wrong nothing wrong with a AR (cough*** piston version)

AK
    Cheaper
    Battle proven reliable takes on all mistreatment
    ammo is cheap
    reliable surplus mags are cheap
    VS

AR
    More costly rifle
    Ammo is getting pricey
    Mags are still cheap most are reliable(avoid promag made anything)
    reliable unless mistreated heavy round counts ect....

basically if comes down to cost if im picking a shtf rifle lower cost means more ammo for the same dollar

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    wow, I'm not surprised that the AR got more votes, but I am surprised it was this close. After the first day it was dead even. Thanks to everyone for voting in this fun poll! :ingo: :ar15:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    AR.

1: They are accurate
    2: Reliable
    3: Cool looking :D
    4: You can put any amount of accesories on them to do anything that said mission requires

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    AR is a peacetime design, had some growing pains, but it's good in everything but fine sand now. I don't expect to be in fine sand. It takes more pampering, but in support and supply it's what I'd take. Only real problem I've had is one fouled chamber, still figure I can fix it. AK is essentially a wartime design and can suffer a lot of abuse before it pukes and dies. When my ARs have gone tango uniform I have an AK. Its problems have been the trigger pin popping out of the receiver when fired left handed, and about 3% FTF on the scroungy norinco ammunition I've used.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Hate to burst your bubble, but the AK has the Mosin beat when it comes to body count. It's the most widely produced, and used by more standing armies then any other rifle.
    Mosin been in service longer. I'm not saying this to be biased. It has more kills. The Mosin is still in use in modern armies as a standard rifle and a sniper rifle.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    There have been approximately 100 Million AK variants built. They are used/have been used by approximately 50 countries.

There have been approximately 37 Million Mosin Nagant rifles built. They are used/have been by approximately 34 countries.

That's an estimated 63 million more AK's built compared to the Mosin. Not to mention they are used by more countries then the Mosin or any other rifle.

I'm not being biased, I'm just stating facts.

Last edited:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Started with AKs, moved to ARs and glad i did.

Once I was satisfied that the AR platform was in fact very durable in all kinds of conditions, the AKs only advantage disappeared.

I shoot the AR more accurately, it's easier to hike around, and quite frankly, it's a whole lot more fun.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Started with AKs, moved to ARs and glad i did.

Once I was satisfied that the AR platform was in fact very durable in all kinds of conditions, the AKs only advantage disappeared.

I shoot the AR more accurately, it's easier to hike around, and quite frankly, it's a whole lot more fun.
    well when you throw in price of ammo, price of rifle, price of mag's, strength of mags, price of replacement parts there quite a bit more "advantages" to a ak than one might think besides reliability

Top Bottom