• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I'm curious, what do you folks who hunt raccoon for the pelts do with the carcass? I read a post somewhere yesterday that a guy got 87 coons or so in a week, that's a pile of bodies to get rid of. Also, is there still a concern of disease from coons? A few years ago it was said to be unsafe to peel the hide due to some transmittable disease. I'm not a coon hunter but only because I never tried it.
    Bill

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I give it to the guy who knows what to do with 87 carcasses. In all seriousness, I leave them where they lay unless it's where a cow will get to it. By the next day they are usually gone. Wild dogs or yotes eat them up.

houndman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Believe it or not some people still eat them. I boil some and feed them to my dogs otherwise i sell them whole to my fur buyer and i think he burry's them

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Back when I was a kid, you couldn't get much of anything for green hides, they had to be streched and dried, but anymore I understand that a lot of buyers prefer whole animals. My guess is that proper skinning and scraping is becoming a lost art, and they would rather do it themselves to get the best quality hides.

boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.
    We usually tree and kill around 200 But we hunt HARD. and thing k about it there are 88 nights of season, thats less than 2 coon a night...Anyone want to go lets go...
    For the bodies we skin as soon as they hit the ground usually, and leave em lay ( buzzards,yotes) they gotta eat lol...also there is a fertilizer plant about 5 miles from me we can dump em there also...

funkeecowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Marion County
    Leave them in the woods. I've used them as bait piles for coyotes in the past with some success. The main problem their is if they've already been picked apart before I come back.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Believe it or not some people still eat them.

When I was a kid, we were coon huntin fools. We were loading up the dogs to go one night and a big ole pimp-daddy Cadillac pulled up. This, combined with the four Afican-American gentlemen in it, made us a little uneasy, as neither were common to see in our neighborhood. The driver got out, introduced himself and asked if we were hunting coons. We said yep. He then asked what we did with the carcasses. I said, nothin, leave 'em lay. He told us he would pay $2 per skinned coon, provided we leave the feet attached. I asked why leave the feet attched? He smiled and said, so we know you ain't sellin us cats:D
    I did manage to get his mother's recipe. It involved a pressure cooker, and roasting in the oven for hours. Sounded like a lot of work for something they claim tasted like roast pork.:dunno:

As was said previously, most buyers prefer to skin out themselves. Better quality control that way. Our local buyer employs a bunch of Amish kids who he supervises and pays piece rate. They are damn fast and work cheap.

I throw them in the outdoor wood boiler. Sounds bad but works real well.

Works great for deer carcasses too:D

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Cook for dog feed or toss them in trash to be picked up or bury them in farmers dead pile where is puts dead hogs then covers

When I was younger my grandmother would cook a few as well, they make great BBQ

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    coon aint bad to eat if cooked right.

a lot of those buyers that buy in the round (whole) are selling the carcasses, either to be rendered or eaten. I know one that gets $3 a piece for fresh edibles

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I'm curious, what do you folks who hunt raccoon for the pelts do with the carcass? I read a post somewhere yesterday that a guy got 87 coons or so in a week, that's a pile of bodies to get rid of. Also, is there still a concern of disease from coons? A few years ago it was said to be unsafe to peel the hide due to some transmittable disease. I'm not a coon hunter but only because I never tried it.
    Bill
    I only trap coons to keep them from eating my chickens. So I feed them to the chickens!

Top Bottom