• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    On Firday, the family had a funeral viewing to go to in Pierceton, so I OC'd at the the funeral home. One of my aunts asked me if I was carrying because I knew my mother was gonna be there. She's a military wife, so we had a good laugh. (I don't get along well with my mother obviously) The family then went to Golden Corral in Warsaw. Nobody screamed MWAG or anything. However, a little boy did notice my gun and asked his mom if I was allowed to do that. Her reply was, "As long as he has a liscence, he's good to go." I smiled, nodded, and moved along.

Today was the funeral, so I OC'd at the funeral as a pall bearer. The joke was that she was a cranky old thing and if she came back to complain and holler at people, they'd need my cover fire to get away. Funeral was for my grandma (89!), and the grandfather fully approved of my carrying. Someone mentioned something at the dinner afterwards, and my reply was "Grandpa doesn't have a problem with it." The complaint evidently had to do with carrying at the church we were at. But considering he donated the land it was on....

Then carried at Pike Lake in Warsaw for some swimming with the Misses and Munchkin. Gun went in the car while swimming however. We need to come up with a good way to carry while swimming. Something along the lines of a ziploc bag that can be sealed around a holster and belt easily.

I think the only real complaint was when my grandfather inspected the gun and noted that the grip was polymer. (Walther PPQ).

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Went to loan a generator to a friend without power and hook it up, Fort Wayne was pounded. Open carried there was not sure if this one was pro gun or not turns out they were.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I OC'd day before yesterday in Kroger on West Washington Street. I was Walking through the frozen food section when a Securitas guard approached me and VERY rudely said Are you carrying a gun. I was a little taken but said yes. The guard then asked why and I said, "Because I Can." She then demanded my LTCH and I asked why.(At this point more because I was annoyed and really curious of her answer.) She actually said its the law that I have to prove to her I am legally carrying my handgun. I asked her under what IC and she said well its Kroger policy. I then aggitated but very cool and calm said that I didn't need to show it to her and she was bordering on harassment. I say harassment because she would not drop it even after I asked would you prefer me to leave. So I continued on my way as she still nagged me while following me. She said at that point she was going to contact her manager and see what can be done. And for the record not one actual Kroger employee ever said a word to me and were all very polite.

Well a security guard said so, so it must be true.
    Maybe you should have told her it must be presented if an officer of the law request. Then ask her if she's pretending to be one?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    On Firday, the family had a funeral viewing to go to in Pierceton, so I OC'd at the the funeral home. One of my aunts asked me if I was carrying because I knew my mother was gonna be there. She's a military wife, so we had a good laugh. (I don't get along well with my mother obviously) The family then went to Golden Corral in Warsaw. Nobody screamed MWAG or anything. However, a little boy did notice my gun and asked his mom if I was allowed to do that. Her reply was, "As long as he has a liscence, he's good to go." I smiled, nodded, and moved along.

Today was the funeral, so I OC'd at the funeral as a pall bearer. The joke was that she was a cranky old thing and if she came back to complain and holler at people, they'd need my cover fire to get away. Funeral was for my grandma (89!), and the grandfather fully approved of my carrying. Someone mentioned something at the dinner afterwards, and my reply was "Grandpa doesn't have a problem with it." The complaint evidently had to do with carrying at the church we were at. But considering he donated the land it was on....

Then carried at Pike Lake in Warsaw for some swimming with the Misses and Munchkin. Gun went in the car while swimming however. We need to come up with a good way to carry while swimming. Something along the lines of a ziploc bag that can be sealed around a holster and belt easily.

I think the only real complaint was when my grandfather inspected the gun and noted that the grip was polymer. (Walther PPQ).

Sorry for your loss, though it sounds like with the laughter and light jokes that it was a very healthy and good funeral. I wish you all the best.

BTW I think your grandfather is on the right track here! :laugh:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I OC'd day before yesterday in Kroger on West Washington Street. I was Walking through the frozen food section when a Securitas guard approached me and VERY rudely said Are you carrying a gun. I was a little taken but said yes. The guard then asked why and I said, "Because I Can." She then demanded my LTCH and I asked why.(At this point more because I was annoyed and really curious of her answer.) She actually said its the law that I have to prove to her I am legally carrying my handgun. I asked her under what IC and she said well its Kroger policy. I then aggitated but very cool and calm said that I didn't need to show it to her and she was bordering on harassment. I say harassment because she would not drop it even after I asked would you prefer me to leave. So I continued on my way as she still nagged me while following me. She said at that point she was going to contact her manager and see what can be done. And for the record not one actual Kroger employee ever said a word to me and were all very polite.

With all the crazies here in Evansville even we don't have security in most of our stores, especially not a grocery store. Is this normal in Indy and if so where else?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

http://youtu.be/rIVHNylH1Mk

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Yesterday I walked around Old Time Pottery, Cycle Outfitters and Barnes & Noble and Wal-Mart in Greenwood. I covered up when we went into Hooter's for lunch.

I also OC'd in Wal-Mart, Office Max and Dollar Tree in Columbus last night.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Today - Kroger in Franklin for cheap gas ($2.28 after discount :rockwoot:), a Circle K south of Columbus and all over Crosley FWA doing some early deer scouting. Ticks were literally everywhere, so I cut it short.

After I got home, decided it was double good I left early, as there were reports of 1.75" fail in the North Vernon area.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Today - Kroger in Franklin for cheap gas ($2.28 after discount :rockwoot:), a Circle K south of Columbus and all over Crosley FWA doing some early deer scouting. Ticks were literally everywhere, so I cut it short.

After I got home, decided it was double good I left early, as there were reports of 1.75" fail in the North Vernon area.

1.75" fail is nothing :D

12073ba8.jpg

OC'd from around Michigan City back home to greenwood. Stopped and got gas in Lafayette at a Speedway. Went in and ate at an Subway near Renssalear. Nothing but another day.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I OC's at Kroger then to Lincoln Park for a while. I rode my bike to my parents house, while OCing, and I was not disarmed or pulled over. I did get yelled at but that is normal whether I am OCing or not. No polar pops thrown at me this time. I CC'd to Church and we had a vet speak today about dissension, nationalism, patriotism and how a Christian can participate in any/some/all of those. I OC'd at Garcia's on Friday with my beautiful and patient wife. My parents were there and my mom is embarrassed by it. Cool story, bro.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    With all the crazies here in Evansville even we don't have security in most of our stores, especially not a grocery store. Is this normal in Indy and if so where else?

Out of the 4 Krogers I worked in on the southside, 3 had Securitas guards, one had a combo of off-duty police and a uniformed IMPD officer who was there one day every week. The Securitas guards were all worthless, but the off duty police actually caught people. A lot of the Indy area stores have the Secuirtas guards, and I wouldn't be hesitant at all to tell one to pound sand if they asked for my LTCH.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Meyer's Veterinary Services in Walkerton. Only one person almost fainted. Me when I got the bill for vaccinations. One little dog, one big bill. The girls and vet never flinched when they saw my gun or when they handed me the bill. :):

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Home Depot Schererville. Stopped in to buy a tape measure. Another shopper walked by and after noticing my OC said, "Be careful, Joy Behar is in the next isle". I said, "who is Joy Behar". He said she was some anti-gun liberal from the TV show "The View". I chuckled and said, "Then she's in the wrong state!"

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Home Depot Schererville. Stopped in to buy a tape measure. Another shopper walked by and after noticing my OC said, "Be careful, Joy Behar is in the next isle". I said, "who is Joy Behar". He said she was some anti-gun liberal from the TV show "The View". I chuckled and said, "Then she's in the wrong state!"

LOL!!:laugh:

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    A first for me tonight: while at my Monday evening bible study at the Warsaw Martin's/Starbucks, I was approached by an officer who asked if I had a permit (sic) for my OC.

The officer had been there since just after I had arrived and had sat with a woman at another table where he could see my OC from across the seating area. At least an hour and a half had passed before he and his friend had finally left, though he returned about 5-10 minutes later making a b-line to where I was sitting. As I saw him approach, I knew he wasn't looking for my donuts. ;)

Aside from letting me know the policy for his department for plain clothed and off-duty officers, it was a fairly decent interaction. When he asked for my permit (sic), I replied that he could see my license. He said that someone had approached him concerned that I had a G-U-N (OMG!). Though, for the entire time he had been seated at the table with his companion, no one had approached him ...at least that I saw.

After the encounter, a friend of mine (who was sitting across from me) said that he noticed the officer get in his car and work on a computer for a few minutes before returning; perhaps to brush up on Indiana carry law ...idunno, just a guess.

The officer did let me know that he had checked code and said I was legal (thanks, officer ...like, I wasn't sure before :dunno:) ...and then shared his preference of CC, as it allows for the "element of surprise," and that it's the police force's policy. Okay, I can understand the policy ...but ...I don't work on the force, officer. :dunno:

I did share that the whole CC/OC thing has pros & cons on both sides (while he pretty much stayed with the "element of surprise" mantra). I got the feeling that, if he could have, he would have told me to conceal ...and he would have felt much better if I did. Though, I also mentioned that one of the great things about living in Indiana is that the LTCH says nothing about the method of carry, and that either CC or OC is perfectly legal in most places (excluding federal buildings, schools, day cares, etc).

Before he left, I asked if he informed the concerned person about Indiana carry laws and that OC was entirely legal (and that I'm not a "bad guy" for carrying openly). He said that he had, for which I thanked him. (though, I still have a sneaking suspicion that the "concerned person" was actually him and, when he found out that OC was legal with an LTCH, he came back to find out if I really was really and truly actually a law-abiding citizen ....as opposed to a nefarious criminal ....attending a weekly bible study ...openly ...in a public place ...and advertizing his criminal intent ....purposely drawing attention to himself by engaging in entirely legal activity. :dunno:

FWIW, I also informed the kind policeman that he was the first officer I've ever encountered who approached and questioned me about carrying. Also, that, in all my interactions (which have been relatively few), people are generally kind, inquisitive, and calm. He still seemed to think that I lacked the "element of surprise," and that I should conform to his station's policy of CC.

So, as I was was riding home (OC on a motorcycle), I got to thinking ...the whole "element of surprise" (lost count of how many times he said that) would make sense for plain-clothed and off-duty officers. I mean, they want to catch bad guys in the act of doing bad things ...and a uniformed officer announces to the world "I'm a cop ...don't do bad things when I'm, around." (Mind you, it's not just the OC gun they wear ...it's the entire ensemble ...uniform.)

But, for the average Joe (or Bob, or Dave, or ...whomever), we're not walking a beat, investigating ...we're not undercover at all (I mean, that's the whole idea of undercover ...they don't just CC their gun, they're purposely disclosing their intent). I'm not trying to catch anyone doing anything ...I don't need that "element of surprise" (I feel like I need to be facing the police station while typing that, after hearing the mantra so much tonight). I mean, I'm just trying to go about my business and get home in one piece at the end of the day ...and, much to the chagrin of people who seem to know my intent, without drawing a crowd (btw, I've been nearly completely successful at that, until tonight. In which case, I drew a "crowd" of one!

Anyway, so that's my story from the evening experience ...and everyone survived to live another day, eat another donut, and drink way too much coffee.

...oh, wait a minute, that's not the end...

It was a Glock ...the gun on my side, it was a Glock 27. End of story! :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom