• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    There's a lot of options out there for SUV's. Chevy has them, Ford, Jeep, GMC, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler....

What's your favorite and why?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think that if I ever inherit millions from my dad's powerball winnings...

I'd probably look at the Infinity offerings. Those behemoths are NICE...

But they'd not likely be "off roading".

If I wanted to get into a vehicle for that kind of thing - I'd look at Range Rover. Very nice kit, those.

-J-

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Modern SUV? I'd like to try the Mercedes M-Class. All the creature comforts, decent power, decent mileage, and very well built. A tad out of my price range, though.

Any more, SUVs are just big AWD station wagons. There aren't too many left with a lever-operated transfer case, real low range, decent ground clearance, and cargo/towing capacity.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I still miss the Bronco. The original, not the excuse of one known as the Bronco II. But, since they're not coming back I'm forced to move on. We have a Honda pilot, probably the most dependable thing we've ever owned.

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    +1 on honda pilot, they are great. If you need to go bigger then get into a suburban. those infinity QX56 that IndyGuy is talking about AKA Nissan Armada, I have heard nothing but bad things about those.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I am looking for a Jeep Cherokee right now, so perhaps I'd pick that one.

The ideal SUV must have real low range, decent suspension travel, solid axles at both ends, 4wd, decent power, and clearance for tires of a height appropriate for the wheelbase.

I really love the 69-72 K5 blazers as well, and would probably pick them if the current examples weren't in such poor condition due to age and weather. They were really awesome vehicles in their day.

The early broncos (pre 77) were pretty awesome as well.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Love the wife's Lexus RX350. Great MPG(mid 20's), ridiculous power(for a six banger), quite, comfy, and full time AWD. I keep telling her that me and the kids are taking it deer hunting this year, as I am without a 4WD. She yells about not putting dead deer in the car, and I said, oh no, they're goin on the roof rack. I always thought that's what roof racks were for:dunno:
    She does not share my opinion.

If you ever plan to go off-road, nothing factory stock is worth crap anymore. Older Jeeps were good, my old 91 suburban was a beast, toyota 4runners didn't used to suck.

There are 3 Cherokee's within 20 miles of my house with bad motors. They are a 99, a 2000 and a 2001. All under 150K miles. Though if I could pick one up cheap, and drop a new or a junkyard used motor in that it would make a good first car for my boy, who gets his license soon. NOT. Junkyards want 1500 for a motor(4.7L V8) with 150K on it and a factory rebuild is
    3000. Now I see why there are so many being sold and not fixed.

Last edited:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Modern SUV? I'd like to try the Mercedes M-Class. All the creature comforts, decent power, decent mileage, and very well built. A tad out of my price range, though.

Any more, SUVs are just big AWD station wagons. There aren't too many left with a lever-operated transfer case, real low range, decent ground clearance, and cargo/towing capacity.

My Grand Cherokee covers all that, and it is my wife's Daily Driver. Towed my parents car home from WI with it. Had all their stuff, them (made 5 adults in the Jeep), and the stuff I had with me inside, and no one was cramped. True four wheel drive in it, hasnt got me stuck yet (Its been off the blacktop a "couple" times, as well as some drift-fun).

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Jeep Unlimited.

It's an Offroad vehicle, an SUV, a convertible, a camper, an expedition vehicle, has some refined creature comforts, and completely upgradeable to your tastes.

3_Medium_.jpg

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    GM frame model GMT360.

The 2002 - 2010~ run of the Chevrolet TrailBlazer(s), the GMC Envoy's (I own a 2004 :rockwoot:). My absolute favorite SUV on this frame has to be the Saab variant, the 9-7x. That's based off of looks.

The V8 TrailBlazers are amazingly cool - they have a feature that will actually disable cylinders while they're not being used for better fuel economy in-town.

Don't let the thought of an inline-6 4.2Cyl scare you, either. My 04 Envoy SLT nearly matches my dads' 01 Z71 Silverado in towing abilities (he has the 5.3L Vortec V8). And the Envoy kicks its' teeth in for hauling around a family :dunno:

P.S. - For the love of god don't ask me how I know. But Envoys hold up to 115gr 9mm +P+ Federal JHP's in the floorboard.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    +1 on honda pilot, they are great. If you need to go bigger then get into a suburban. those infinity QX56 that IndyGuy is talking about AKA Nissan Armada, I have heard nothing but bad things about those.

I've not heard anything about them other than the "Luxury SUV comparison tests" from Motor Trend.

I know they look fantastic. And they're FAST.

I do know that Nissan's reliability has taken a small slide in the last 3-4 years - but I'd still take a Nissan over much of anything else.

And, to be honest, if I had "unlimited" funds - who cares if a vehicle was a lemon or not.

Daily driver? If I wanted a "truck" - I'm thinking one of the two-door Range Rover Evoques. :drool:

-J-

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin

I still have my 2001 Cherokee and it's still the favorite vehicle I've owned. I also had a '91 that I loved as well. It's not big and it's not fancy but I've moved and pulled all kinds of things in it and it's never let me down. The inline 6 is hard to kill.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    There are 3 Cherokee's within 20 miles of my house with bad motors. They are a 99, a 2000 and a 2001. All under 150K miles. Though if I could pick one up cheap, and drop a new or a junkyard used motor in that it would make a good first car for my boy, who gets his license soon. NOT. Junkyards want 1500 for a motor(4.7L V8) with 150K on it and a factory rebuild is
    3000. Now I see why there are so many being sold and not fixed.

The Jeep Cherokee was never available with the 4.7L or any V8 for that matter. You must be thinking about the Grand Cherokee, which is not the same vehicle.

The Cherokee was available with the GM 2.8L V6, which is probably the worst engine GM ever made. The vast majority of them, however, have the 4.0L I6, which is one of the most durable engines ever installed in any vehicle, hands down.

People failing to make the distinction between the Grand Cherokee and the Cherokee are quite aggravating, as it's screwing up my search for a decent Cherokee.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I still have my 2001 Cherokee and it's still the favorite vehicle I've owned. I also had a '91 that I loved as well. It's not big and it's not fancy but I've moved and pulled all kinds of things in it and it's never let me down. The inline 6 is hard to kill.

I'm trying to find one (any year) with a 4.0/manual tranny. As long as it has AC, heat, and isn't a complete POS, even if it's kinda raggedy, I'm ready to deal if the price is right. I was going to trade a guy my 2000 Ford Ranger for his 93 last night, but the guy never showed up.

Top Bottom