• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Looking for some options for a new EDC flashlight that's both bright, compact and durable.

What model do you carry?
    How many lumens for EDC use do you think is enough? :dunno:

If possible I would like to find a model that uses AA batteries but I know there are some cool lights who dont use this kind of batteries.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Looking for some options for a new EDC flashlight that's both bright, compact and durable.

What model do you carry?
    How many lumens for EDC use do you think is enough? :dunno:

If possible I would like to find a model that uses AA batteries but I know there are some cool lights who dont use this kind of batteries.

Personally I carry a Streamlight Stylus Pro Penlight. 24 lumens and it's been extremely durable, I've dropped it on the ground, got it soaked in water and even backed over it once and it's still running. The light output has been enough for me to see across dark rooms and hallways. It's also quite blinding. For the price, it makes a great stocking stuffer. I have one for the car, one for the pocket.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Personally I carry a Streamlight Stylus Pro Penlight. 24 lumens and it's been extremely durable, I've dropped it on the ground, got it soaked in water and even backed over it once and it's still running. The light output has been enough for me to see across dark rooms and hallways. It's also quite blinding. For the price, it makes a great stocking stuffer. I have one for the car, one for the pocket.

I would imagine that 24 lumens is not that bright for outside use though. :dunno:

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Stream light micro stream. I love it! Not sure of lumens but its as bright as I'd ever want an EDC light. Tiny, clips to my pocket. Best part is it uses AAA batteries and none if those weird (read:expensive) CR123.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Does not matter.

I prefer Streamlight with the ring but I was brought up on the ring (we used to make our own years and years ago, and I walked to school and all this was orchard).

As long as it has a lanyard or ring, I am cool.

Power? No much gun nut nonsense. It can be too powerful, especially if it melts the lens or bounces back in your face.

Disco light? SHOT Show nonsense.

I care about manipulation. I care about turning the *&^%ing thing off. I care about how rugged it is when I drop it down 14 flights of concrete stairs in an apartment building. I care about how tough the clip thingy is so it stays in my pocket.

Why do gun nuts always run around the conference table about the wrong stuff?:D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Does not matter.

I prefer Streamlight with the ring but I was brought up on the ring (we used to make our own years and years ago, and I walked to school and all this was orchard).

As long as it has a lanyard or ring, I am cool.

Power? No much gun nut nonsense. It can be too powerful, especially if it melts the lens or bounces back in your face.

Disco light? SHOT Show nonsense.

I care about manipulation. I care about turning the *&^%ing thing off. I care about how rugged it is when I drop it down 14 flights of concrete stairs in an apartment building. I care about how tough the clip thingy is so it stays in my pocket.

Why do gun nuts always run around the conference table about the wrong stuff?:D

Yeah I need a lanyard and a good pocket clip too.I like a clip that's srewed to the body of the light and not just clipped on it, those never stay in place.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Yeah I need a lanyard and a good pocket clip too.I like a clip that's srewed to the body of the light and not just clipped on it, those never stay in place.
    I know what you mean about the flimsy pocket clips. I had a Streamlight Protac 1AA and I got rid of it mainly because of the removable pocket clip.

I carry a Surefire Backup EB1 and love it. Here's a LINK to that flashlight on the Surefire webpage.

-200 Lumens or 5 Lumen settings
    -4.4" in length. 1.1" diameter at widest point.

The only downside is that it uses a 123A battery and doesn't provide more than 1.3 hours of light at 200 Lumens.

Last edited:

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    Redline SE - model # AT12I- 1x-4x zoom

Primary mode
    100% on/off - 250 lumens - 175 yards - 4 hours

secondary modes
    50% on mode - 125 lumens - 75 yards - 8 hours
    10% on mode - 25 lumens - 34 yards - 15 hours
    s.o.s. flashing mode - strobe flashing mode - 72 hours

uses 3 aaa batteries

this thing is brghter than the 6d maglite i use to use and a heck of a lot lighter. i love this thing and plan to but a few more.

https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=164

Last edited:

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    4Sevens Quark Pro (QPA2-X) This light gets my full stamp of approval. I use it daily, for a combined total of 2+ hours, mostly on bright. It is 280 lumen, and has 4 brightness settings (candle, low, med, blindingly bright), strobe, S.O.S, beacon. Comes with a pocket clip, belt holster, neck lanyard. I have dropped it off two roofs and into a full sump pit and have seen zero adverse affects. I carry it front pocket with my 3" edc blade and it is still comfortable! Runs off 2 AA batteries, runtime depends on setting, obviously... But I am more than satisfied with the lifespan of the rechargeables I use. I chose it based on thousands of reviews of various lights, and due to the fact that it is long and slender, fitting in my pocket more naturally. Thousands of clicks of the rear push-button (it is flush to the end of the light as to not accidentally turn on in a bag, pocket, etc too) and it still feels crisp. It has way outperformed my expectations. I think I got mine for $45 on Amazon.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    4Sevens Quark Pro (QPA2-X) This light gets my full stamp of approval. I use it daily, for a combined total of 2+ hours, mostly on bright. It is 280 lumen, and has 4 brightness settings (candle, low, med, blindingly bright), strobe, S.O.S, beacon. Comes with a pocket clip, belt holster, neck lanyard. I have dropped it off two roofs and into a full sump pit and have seen zero adverse affects. I carry it front pocket with my 3" edc blade and it is still comfortable! Runs off 2 AA batteries, runtime depends on setting, obviously... But I am more than satisfied with the lifespan of the rechargeables I use. I chose it based on thousands of reviews of various lights, and due to the fact that it is long and slender, fitting in my pocket more naturally. Thousands of clicks of the rear push-button (it is flush to the end of the light as to not accidentally turn on in a bag, pocket, etc too) and it still feels crisp. It has way outperformed my expectations. I think I got mine for $45 on Amazon.

Sounds nice. :+1:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I carry a Surefire LX2 Lumamax every day. The clip is great if you put it in your pocket lens down. The clip will break in short order if you put it in your pocket lens up [weak point in the clip near where it attaches to the body]. Upside is that Surefire will send you a new clip for free - I ask for two at a time and have only had to swap it once.

I've heard the tailcap can fall apart - I've had my tailcap off a few times over the last year and half or so that I've had it and while the interior components seem a little 'loose' compared to what they were new it's not fallen apart on me. When fully assembled I'm not afraid it will quit working - I've dropped it dozens of times onto concrete/etc just due to my own clumsiness.

I should probably call Surefire and ask for a new tailcap just in case this one does give up the ghost. I'm happy that I can get new parts for it if any fail but do wish that these components weren't so prone to failing - that said - the tailcap tends to fail when you take it apart to replace the batteries and not while it's assembled. Even then - you can put it back together and have it working reliably - I think the epoxy they used to assemble the tailcap is just a bit weak.

Perhaps newer tail caps don't have this issue.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    The new fenix 700 lumen 2 x 123a light. Tactical stile with reverse clickey and deep pocket clip. Available from ledwearhouse here on ingo. Amazing light.

Also have a fenix pd35. Let's just say original batteries are still at 90% charge...

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I carry a Maglight 2 AA LED. I've had it for a few years, and it's never let me down. If you un screw the lens end, you can use it as a base for the shaft to sit in and it's like a candle.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I got a couple of these cheap CREE leds on eBay about a year ago. 2 of them cost me $12, free shipping.

It runs on a single AA battery and if IIRC, it's 120 lumens on full power, 60 on low. It also has a strobe feature and you can adjust the size of the beam. So far it's been just as good as any $70-$100 brand name I've ever used.

20131214_203737.jpg

20131214_203704.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom