• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I vote for Les Baer as well. But Bill Wilson still builds awfully good guns too (and he pretty much started all this madness). I like Baer's philosophy on building guns - it will be tight when new (maybe even a little too tight) but it's only going to get looser if you shoot it. After 500 rounds it's just about perfect but still very snug. Les Baer spent a lot of years building drag engines. He knows how to fit metal surfaces for hard use and maximum life. He also used to run Springfield's Custom Shop back in the day. He knows 1911s.

Last edited:

Indyfishyak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I really love my E Series smith. Just my opinion would suggest paying at the upper end of your price range to make sure you get a gun with good tolerance of tight fitting parts. 1911 seem to run better in guns with good fits.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I would buy a well used Baer in a heartbeat as long as no one had "worked" on it. I agree with avoiding Para (and any Kimber built after their 2nd year of production.)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm certainly no expert, but I own a used Springfield TRP. I didn't buy it because I thought it was the best 1911 out there. I got it simply because I knew others who were satisfied with their experience and it was within my price range. There were things I didn't like, so I had a 'smith do some work on the trigger, sites, mag release, and hammer. I had it coated to a color that I like much better and changed the spring. I bought the skateboard grips directly from the factory and eventually changed them out. Now, some may say I could have just gotten xxx and gotten all of that, but I have a greater sense of ownership of my 1911 and because I had the changes done to better suit me, I am more confident with it.

I didn't consider what I would do with it, because any gun I own will be used at the range, competitions, home defense, and may be carried, so it wasn't that deep of a decision for me. I was confident if my experience wasn't good, I could easily sell it, but it's turned out to be one of the guns I'm confident will remain with me the rest of my life.

TRP2.jpg

TRP1.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm certainly no expert, but I own a used Springfield TRP. I didn't buy it because I thought it was the best 1911 out there. I got it simply because I knew others who were satisfied with their experience and it was within my price range. There were things I didn't like, so I had a 'smith do some work on the trigger, sites, mag release, and hammer. I had it coated to a color that I like much better and changed the spring. I bought the skateboard grips directly from the factory and eventually changed them out. Now, some may say I could have just gotten xxx and gotten all of that, but I have a greater sense of ownership of my 1911 and because I had the changes done to better suit me, I am more confident with it.

I didn't consider what I would do with it, because any gun I own will be used at the range, competitions, home defense, and may be carried, so it wasn't that deep of a decision for me. I was confident if my experience wasn't good, I could easily sell it, but it's turned out to be one of the guns I'm confident will remain with me the rest of my life.

TRP2.jpg

TRP1.jpg

Do you like the front site???

My aging eyes may need some help soon.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Que, that extended mag button can ruin your day on a carry 1911. I won;t even run one on a race gun any more. You might wanna put the stock one back in if you plan to carry it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que, that extended mag button can ruin your day on a carry 1911. I won;t even run one on a race gun any more. You might wanna put the stock one back in if you plan to carry it.

I certainly do not doubt you, but I'm interested to know what could happen.

Top Bottom