What is it with people coming to my door.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Three neigbors do a 'neighborhood watch' on each other's property, especially when one of us takes off for a weekend or vacation. It is good to have trustworthy neighbors who share a willingness to keep an eye on things when you are gone.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    .... to offer tree-trimming services? For the second time in the last couple weeks I have had two different guys come to my door offering to trim my trees. I do have several trees that need trimmed, but I'm leary of the "businessman" that pulls up in a rusty 1991 S10. I appreciate their proactivity, but I am not a big fan of uninvited guests on my property.

Just setup a Claymore with a hidden trip line...problem solved. Works for me every time. :yesway:

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Leaving a flyer on the mailbox, between the flag or whatever is the same as putting it inside the mailbox, and the USPS driver will report you to the post master, who will turn you inside out. Ever wonder why people walk up to your door and leave it on the screen door, or tucked under your mat, or wrapped around your door handle.
    You just suggested a very dangerous thing for the lawn care people reading this thread to do.
    The entire box, the stake/pole/etc the box is on, and anything hanging off of it, like a slot for newspaper, the flag, etc is the property of USPS/Government. Seeing as such, I would imagine it would be a felony, and that we could lose our 2nd Amendment rights over it.

______

Good comparison there. Equating a no firearms sign to a no soliciting sign. Both don't hold the force of law, and you would have to rely on criminal trespass. We carry into places with no gun signs every day, I'm sure people selling things door to door feel the same way. " I don't care what the sign says, I am going to do it anyway, as long as I leave when asked I am good to go. " What gives us the right to ignore no firearm signs and carry onto their private property, against their wishes, when at the same time people claim that solicitors should not come around, they should respect our property, and our signs, etc? If there is a legal requirement to be licensed, etc, that is one thing, but most places don't have any such requirement that I have heard of.

I don't see how our private property is so much more sacred than the property of someone else?

I just say I am not interested, or take their card and say thanks, I will call you if I need you. Never taken anything the have sold, or given them money, but I am not mean about it. This was in CA. Here we don't get solicitors, it costs too much in gas to drive out in the county to solicit, LOL

Then leave it on a fence post at the end of the drive.
    When i was married to my first wife we had a guy that would keep coming around when i was mowing my yard, he would stop me and ask if i wanted him to cut my grass. (yes he would stop me from cutting my grass to ask if he could cut it). i told him no every time.well at work one day i get a frantic phone call from the wife. my wife at the time was sitting on the couch breast feeding our new born son. this guy showed up and nicked on the door. m wife didn't answer it cause she was in the middle of something. the guy started beating the door down. When the door flew open my wife was sitting there with my child. the only reason nothing happened was because our 120 lbs rott jumped up and took off after him.
    Someone called animal control on my dog because they seen her chasing a guy down the street. they were trying to take my dog until they finally listened to what happened. So yea i don't like uninvited people on my property.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have been getting a lot more "Door to door" sales this spring. Property is posted No Trespass and no Soliciting but they ignore the signs and beat on the door anyway.
    When I point out the signs they always respond.....I am not trespassing, I am in sales. One of these days Frank my have to run a call at my house.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Same kid rang my doorbell twice on Saturday, ignoring my 'NO SOLICITING SIGN' as posted on the door. I didn't answer the first time. The second time I gave him a few choice words. He was selling AT&T services.
    We had the same sign on our storm door. One afternoon a guy rings the bell. I walk to the door and he's holding a clip board. I look at him...look at the NO SOLICITING sign...look at him...

He says, "Oh no. I'm not selling anything. We're just checking to be sure you've been getting your newspaper delivered OK." I told him we don't take the paper. He said, "Well, I can sign you up for the Star." I look at him...look at the NO SOLICITING sign...look at him...

He says, "It would really help me out, I'm working my way thru college." So... I look at him...look at the NO SOLICITING sign...look at him... Then I told him I didn't want to take the paper and I suggested he enroll himself in a damn college that could teach him to read...then I slammed the door. Leaving him standing there looking stupid...holding his clipboard.

I turned around and there stood my wife laughing at me. She said, "God, you're a dick." I said, "Yeah, but this dick can read."

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    What is it with this guy always comign to his door?

.... to offer tree-trimming services? For the second time in the last couple weeks I have had two different guys come to my door offering to trim my trees. I do have several trees that need trimmed, but I'm leary of the "businessman" that pulls up in a rusty 1991 S10. I appreciate their proactivity, but I am not a big fan of uninvited guests on my property.

Every time I have a friend knock on this guys door, he comes and answers it! I mean does he ever leave? :dunno:

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I almost hit a dog that ran into the middle of the road a couple days ago. Wife wanted me to stop and pick it up but we had stuff in the car from the grocery and were only a block away. I went back after unloading and sure enough here is this ~ 1 year old cocker spaniel. Came right up to me but wouldn't let me hold him. He had no tag or collar but was obviously well taken care of.

After a couple minutes he goes and runs inside through the cracked open back door of a nearby house! As I get a little closer I then see the door close.

At this point I could have gone home but really if I were in that situation I would want someone to tell me what had happened. So I go up to the front door which did have a "no soliciting" sign and knock, then ring doorbell a few times. Nobody answered the door or acknowledged my presence. I was pretty sure people were home since the door closed and there was also a car in the driveway. I decided just to shout through the door "your dog was loose in the middle of the street without a collar and almost got hit!" Still no response, but I feel I fulfilled my moral duty. Guess I could have left a note though.

There was also a neighbor around that said she knew the people but didn't have a way to contact them.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I hope you didn't take that as an insult or something. I was just pointing out to everyone that these people can be up to no good. It was just a friendly reminder.

My apologies, I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it.

So, what I am getting from this thread is that I should not go out and solicit my lawncare services door to door on my days off? What if I actually drag my trailer full of equipment with me?

I actually considered doing this in the next few days to try and make a few extra bucks and maybe pick up a new customer or two

I would have cared less if it was someone in a marked business truck. This guy didn't have any equipment either, just a beat-up S10.

Frankly, it depends on your appearance.
    If you have missing teeth, look generally unkempt, have dirty or rusty equipment, and don't speak proper English, don't bother.

He wasn't necessarily dirty or unkempt, but he did have missing teeth and what looked like prison-earned tattoos.

What about when someone else calls and invites them over for you?:):

I'm with BK though, you are welcome at my house for a beer any weekend I'm home. Seriously.

If they call, I have to go. I can only disregard runs under certain circumstances. If I get there and determine I don't need to be on a property other than that of the caller, I stay off.

Every time I have a friend knock on this guys door, he comes and answers it! I mean does he ever leave? :dunno:

Expat beat you to it.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Thread resurrection time!
    Just had a guy ring my bell asking if I had any work he could do. Riding his bicycle, no tools, and jack-o-lantern teeth. Ran him off quick, fast, and in a hurry! Guess I'm gonna have to get bigger signs.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    After many years of living in the same home, we have had them all knock on our door. 98%-Bye Bye. We do get a couple of local kids with scouts or school, or soccer, so it's cool. Wifey may order a thing or two.

You have a valid point about the "trade" sellers. Beware is all I say. Usually, those are answered with a "wife beater" T shirt, a beer in my hand and a Model 10, 38 spec, (at my back). Sometimes I have on a ball cap that says "USMC", or "DEA", or "Agent", they usually excuse themselves, and leave post haste. The JW's attempt to sell Church, I may ask if" they would like a beer?" "No thanks", and bye.

Wifey usually won't answer the door, nor my kids, they have been asked not to do that. Like Frank-n-Stein, been on the streets for over 16yrs, and know the games and moves pretty well. Really need a bigger "No Soliciters" sign, and "No Trespassing".
    Good luck.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

I certainly understand being suspicious of "not-so-professional-looking" outfits. But could be that they're good and just struggling to make an honest buck. Hard to tell these days, at least they asked you. It beats coming home to find all of the gutters and downspouts missing from your house, not kidding! One of many reasons that I moved out of East Chicago in 1999.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've lived @ my current home for 8.5 years, along the back 190 feet of my property line it's filled
    with some fairly tall trees, some of the Oaks are getting some age on them.

At least six to seven times each year I get someone knocking on the door or ringing the doorbell wanting to
    trim the trees.

I proudly let them know I get them trimmed for free, all I have to do is call Duke and let them know that
    there could be a future line problem with some rouge branches.

They walk away dejected, I go back in knowing I have deflated the ego of someone that can't read
    the "No Solicitor's" sign on my door that was two inch tall letters.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom