What is it with people coming to my door.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ok, I guess it is up to me. I have the solution, as usual. Why won't people listen to me as I obviously have the answers to life's problems?

We will have rhino to stand outside your front door dressed as a yard gnome and chase away all solicitors.

Pro: all uninvited guests will be chased away.

Con: you can no longer have Chinese, Thai, sushi, balut or pizza (especially pizza with balut) delivered to your home.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Ok, I guess it is up to me. I have the solution, as usual.

We will have rhino to stand outside your front door dressed as a yard gnome and chase away all solicitors.

Con: you can no longer have Chinese, Thai, sushi, balut or pizza (especially pizza with balut) delivered to your home.

:rofl:

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    :+1:

What is JH?

Maybe he meant JW for Jehovah's Witnesses? For the JW's on Saturday mornings I like to answer the door at 8 or 9 in the morning with a beer can in my hand and shirt off like some drunken hillbilly (no offense to anyone on the board that may be one). Usually they don't stick around. Maybe hand out a piece of literature and that's about it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Maybe he meant JW for Jehovah's Witnesses? For the JW's on Saturday mornings I like to answer the door at 8 or 9 in the morning with a beer can in my hand and shirt off like some drunken hillbilly (no offense to anyone on the board that may be one). Usually they don't stick around. Maybe hand out a piece of literature and that's about it.

Makes sense. The last time I dealt with them, about 15 years ago, I couldn't even get them to come inside and stay a while. Of course, once they figured out that I intended to evangelize them it took all the fun out of visiting. As you could imagine, they never came back.

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I'm sure everyone has thought about what unsolicited visitors could actually be doing. It isn't that hard for a criminal to make up a business card that says they do tree work or lawn mowing. Just so they can have a reason to peek into your front door to see if there is anything they want to come back for. Think about it. Whats the first thing you do when someone hands you a business card. You hold it in your hand and look down at it to read it. It takes your eyes off of them long enough for them to loose your eye contact and let there eyes wonder into your door.
    I don't like people coming uninvited. If they do they will get a very cold shoulder and may get told to get the He double hockey sticks off my property. thats why I have a no trespassing sign at the end of my driveway.
    Just saying keep a leery eye on people like that.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm sure everyone has thought about what unsolicited visitors could actually be doing. It isn't that hard for a criminal to make up a business card that says they do tree work or lawn mowing. Just so they can have a reason to peek into your front door to see if there is anything they want to come back for. Think about it. Whats the first thing you do when someone hands you a business card. You hold it in your hand and look down at it to read it. It takes your eyes off of them long enough for them to loose your eye contact and let there eyes wonder into your door.
    I don't like people coming uninvited. If they do they will get a very cold shoulder and may get told to get the He double hockey sticks off my property. thats why I have a no trespassing sign at the end of my driveway.

Definitely! The problem is that they can use one, the other, or both angles on the unsuspecting. They can actually do the work for extortionate prices (like in one example that comes to mind charging over $1000 for poorly-done sealcoating with watered-down material for the same work a reputable contractor would have charged $250-$300 for doing correctly) and case the place while they are at it.

In the end, we appear to be in agreement that people of this nature are generally bad news.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Neither looked like the bus driving type.

Well now that really sounds like her.
    You might be amazed at who they let drive a bus now. They just want a warm body that can pass a cdl test.

One of our old drivers was on the Maury Show back in March with her out of control kids.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Unless its a neighborhood kid I recognize selling stuff for a respectable fund raiser or someone I called to the house, I never give anyone money for anything through my front door. I don't care what it may be. Its just one of my "rules".

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

So your avatar really is a picture of you then? :laugh:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Ok, I guess it is up to me. I have the solution, as usual. Why won't people listen to me as I obviously have the answers to life's problems?

A significant portion of my family is Filipino. Balut is not one of my favorites :n00b: along with that dried fish stuff, and Dinuguan. Don't get me started with that fish sauce and pink shrimp paste :stretcher:

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I second the "Casing the property" warning. I have a No Soliciting or Treaspassing Warning posted on my driveway. It does get pointed to now and then when someone chooses to ignore it and approach the porch anyway.

I am retired and home 90% of the time, I keep an eye on the rural-road-cruisers who slowly wander our neighborhood on certain days. Just watchin'.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I've been a cop for 19 years, I'm clear on the tactics.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Gates fixed that problem for me.

Must be nice to have friends in high places...

305628-rules-to-live-life-bill-gates-picsocius.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom