• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Exactly! Are you like that? Do you trust Black less because of the riots, than you did before? If that describes you, then you still have room for growth. If not, then you understand the problem with the part I bolded. If one were to ask me, which I preferred, I'd rather have the person who is honest with themselves, rather than the person who "thinks," they are radially tolerant, but was swayed to wariness of Black people based on riots that are overwhelmingly White. :dunno:

I trust individuals. I don't trust crowds. I'm wary of all teenagers packed into cars after midnight. So, I say it is more situational. I don't think I'm necessarily racially neutral. I am to the extent that people I meet fit a fairly wide range of what I would call "American Standard Culture". If they aren't in that bracket, and they are shouting at me, it will likely be an unpleasant experience for both of us.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I trust individuals. I don't trust crowds. I'm wary of all teenagers packed into cars after midnight. So, I say it is more situational. I don't think I'm necessarily racially neutral. I am to the extent that people I meet fit a fairly wide range of what I would call "American Standard Culture". If they aren't in that bracket, and they are shouting at me, it will likely be an unpleasant experience for both of us.

:yesway:

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I’m kinda with kut on this one.
    Maybe it’s an “older” people thing, but my overall opinion of OTW people as just normal people hasn’t changed.
    The riots have the typical bad actors but I don’t associate with those types from any race.
    Radical leftists are who I worry about, from any race.

Kut (agrees.... and now has fallen over dead)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Well, you’re older, and a product of your times. I don’t fault you for that.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I try my best to judge people as individuals, however, I am well aware that I certainly do have prejudices when it comes to who I am comfortable around.

I am wary of young black men with their pants down low enough to show their underwear.

I am wary of young white men covered in tatoos.

I am wary of anyone wearing left-wing t-shirts, etc.

The examples could go on, but you get the idea.

I am not wary of people that look like me; middle-aged, middle-class, dressed conservatively. That includes black people. I seriously doubt I am anything like a perfectly racially tolerant person, but I can say with absolute certainty that a middle-age black couple isn't going to get a second glance from me. I assume they aren't much different from me. That probably is a reflection that as a younger man I worked with a number of older black men that reminded me quite a bit of my father.

I don't think the BLM movement has changed that in any way. Like many, I support the sentiment, but I'm not too sure about the organization itself. However, I presume it is likely that most people that are marching/active are more concerned with the sentiment rather than the organization itself, so I have no serious concerns there. I would guess that perspective comes from younger family members that have participated in the marches. They are certainly to the left of me, but they aren't anything like the rioters.

The problem is that the people on both sides that want to keep us divided love to confuse the issues by lumping everyone together.

My single biggest complaint with BLM is that I think they have made police reform more difficult by focusing too heavily on racism. I understand that the issue needs to be addressed, but I think they could get much broader support if they focused more on working towards having police forces that don't include the aggressive ***holes that we all have encountered on occasion. Ending racism is such a broad fuzzy goal, I don't see what you can do to accomplish that. Changes to training and the role of unions would be specific goals that would be more straight-forward to accomplish.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Exactly! Are you like that? Do you trust Black less because of the riots, than you did before? If that describes you, then you still have room for growth. If not, then you understand the problem with the part I bolded. If one were to ask me, which I preferred, I'd rather have the person who is honest with themselves, rather than the person who "thinks," they are radially tolerant, but was swayed to wariness of Black people based on riots that are overwhelmingly White. :dunno:

When young black men see cops, and they're weary of police because of the information they get from friends, family, BLM, do they have room for growth? Or is it a fairly human response to the conditioning through constant confirmation all around them that cops are all bad? Are they all bad?

It's not all just prejudice grown through attitude. It's also that people can become conditioned through their experience. It seemed like you're putting the impetus for correcting behavior on one side without addressing how the other participated. Black people should not fear all cops. The vast majority of encounters are not what black people fear about cops. But they still do. I dunno. Maybe some cops should consider not being *******s. Maybe that could help reverse the conditioning. Of course it's not fair to attribute the behavior of a few people to an entire group, but it's an evolutionary human feature to do so. It's something we have to override. That's not the same thing as having room for growth.

So maybe some of it would be having a conscious attitude that makes one weary of black people, or cops, or whomever, based on external characteristics that are probably unrelated to any real danger. I'm right there with you. Those people have room for growth. But also it can be conditioned as well, and that has a very different outlook. It would help if people would stop being *******s.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When young black men see cops, and they're weary of police because of the information they get from friends, family, BLM, do they have room for growth? Or is it a fairly human response to the conditioning through constant confirmation all around them that cops are all bad? Are they all bad?

It's not all just prejudice grown through attitude. It's also that people can become conditioned through their experience. It seemed like you're putting the impetus for correcting behavior on one side without addressing how the other participated. Black people should not fear all cops. The vast majority of encounters are not what black people fear about cops. But they still do. I dunno. Maybe some cops should consider not being *******s. Maybe that could help reverse the conditioning. Of course it's not fair to attribute the behavior of a few people to an entire group, but it's an evolutionary human feature to do so. It's something we have to override. That's not the same thing as having room for growth.

So maybe some of it would be having a conscious attitude that makes one weary of black people, or cops, or whomever, based on external characteristics that are probably unrelated to any real danger. I'm right there with you. Those people have room for growth. But also it can be conditioned as well, and that has a very different outlook. It would help if people would stop being *******s.

Young black men fear police, based on anecdotal evidence and the media. Police are often vilified in a wide array of outlets. And truthfully, most people, regardless of color, would rather NOT have any interactions with police officers; a sentiment I’ve seen repeatedly even here.
    Are you saying that Black people are victims of the same type of thing?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Young black men fear police, based on anecdotal evidence and the media. Police are often vilified in a wide array of outlets. And truthfully, most people, regardless of color, would rather NOT have any interactions with police officers; a sentiment I’ve seen repeatedly even here.
    Are you saying that Black people are victims of the same type of thing?
    Is that all you read?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Is that all you read?

No, I read it all, but I took most notably is what appeared to be you comparing a wariness of police officer by Black people, to White People’s fear of Black people. Maybe you didn’t quite explain it well enough, but that’s what it appeared to me to be saying. I believe the comparison you used is seriously flawed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, I read it all, but I took most notably is what appeared to be you comparing a wariness of police officer by Black people, to White People’s fear of Black people. Maybe you didn’t quite explain it well enough, but that’s what it appeared to me to be saying. I believe the comparison you used is seriously flawed.
    I think you’re putting too much into that. It wasn’t meant to be an exact comparison. I don’t think I am explaining it well. The point is that I don’t think it’s necessarily an issue of character, which it seemed you were saying. People can be conditioned to have anxiety of a given group for reasons that aren’t really caused by attitude. It’s more than character growth that fixes that.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I’m kinda with kut on this one.
    Maybe it’s an “older” people thing, but my overall opinion of OTW people as just normal people hasn’t changed.
    The riots have the typical bad actors but I don’t associate with those types from any race.
    Radical leftists are who I worry about, from any race.

I agree with both of these 100000000%

The riots are mostly white radical leftists. Growing up when I did, most of us have black, gay, and Hispanic friends... it’s pretty normal, we don’t look at a persons “identity”, we judge the character of the person. I’ve met a ton of white people I’d never let in my house. I hung drywall with my brother in high school, so I worked every day with Mexicans. Very family oriented, religious, and liked to party, awesome guys that’d bring lunch for everybody would help anyone that needed it. My friend Bryan (black) is a bigger redneck than I am. He hunts, fishes, and listens to country music. I can’t stand most country music, I like classic rock, alternative rock, and rap. Same way, guy would help anyone in need, his kids were who he is.

But I agree with alpo, I don’t feel comfortable around any crowd. Put 100 white people in a room and my anxiety goes up, and I start focusing on the demeanor of the crowd. I grew up playing basketball, baseball, and going to races every weekend helping dad... nobody cared about each other’s race.
    Some of my biggest role models as a kid were black. Dr Dre is the king of hip hop, every kid wanted to be Michael Jordan, and before I cared about political policies I was happy as hell Obama was elected. 1st black president, what kind of person wouldn’t love seeing history made! (Eventually I cared enough about politics to pay attention, and ended up hating the guy, but the historical aspect of it is still cool)

I think every single person here agrees that black lives matter, but I’m not sure if anyone here supports Black Lives Matter. They’re 2 completely different things. They came up with a “gotcha” name for their organization, and if you disagree you’re called a racist. The organization is racist itself, so if the goal is to fight racism they’re only perpetuating it. Now the family out there that is non political and worried for their sons life, and believe with all their heart that black lives matter, I agree and support them 100%. But the organization needs to be designated a terrorist organization and collapse... it’s a money laundering hate filled org that doesn’t look at facts, does nothing for blacks, and furthers racial divide and it needs to end.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I agree with both of these 100000000%

The riots are mostly white radical leftists. Growing up when I did, most of us have black, gay, and Hispanic friends... it’s pretty normal, we don’t look at a persons “identity”, we judge the character of the person. I’ve met a ton of white people I’d never let in my house. I hung drywall with my brother in high school, so I worked every day with Mexicans. Very family oriented, religious, and liked to party, awesome guys that’d bring lunch for everybody would help anyone that needed it. My friend Bryan (black) is a bigger redneck than I am. He hunts, fishes, and listens to country music. I can’t stand most country music, I like classic rock, alternative rock, and rap. Same way, guy would help anyone in need, his kids were who he is.

But I agree with alpo, I don’t feel comfortable around any crowd. Put 100 white people in a room and my anxiety goes up, and I start focusing on the demeanor of the crowd. I grew up playing basketball, baseball, and going to races every weekend helping dad... nobody cared about each other’s race.
    Some of my biggest role models as a kid were black. Dr Dre is the king of hip hop, every kid wanted to be Michael Jordan, and before I cared about political policies I was happy as hell Obama was elected. 1st black president, what kind of person wouldn’t love seeing history made! (Eventually I cared enough about politics to pay attention, and ended up hating the guy, but the historical aspect of it is still cool)

I think every single person here agrees that black lives matter, but I’m not sure if anyone here supports Black Lives Matter. They’re 2 completely different things. They came up with a “gotcha” name for their organization, and if you disagree you’re called a racist. The organization is racist itself, so if the goal is to fight racism they’re only perpetuating it. Now the family out there that is non political and worried for their sons life, and believe with all their heart that black lives matter, I agree and support them 100%. But the organization needs to be designated a terrorist organization and collapse... it’s a money laundering hate filled org that doesn’t look at facts, does nothing for blacks, and furthers racial divide and it needs to end.

I'm a few days behind, getting caught up on my INGO, but ^^^ is a true QFT post.

And when I tried to give rep: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hatin Since 87 again.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    IU football to debut social justice logo on uniforms

...BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — The Indiana Hoosiers are taking a stand for social justice.

The football Hoosiers will debut a social justice patch on their uniforms for the duration of the 2020 season.

The fist logo, designed by the Mark Cuban Center for Sports Media and Technology, features a variety of words including love, united, justice, equality, and human rights.

IU Athletics wanted to highlight its concerns over racial injustice and inequality while promoting positive change...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom