Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    just purchased 1000 rounds of .223
    got my 9mm count up to 300 rounds
    cleared more space for food storage
    organized a patrol pack.
    made some good progress on the ol' compost pile this summer!

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Maintained combat conditioning levels: 3 weight sessions, 12 miles of running, one 4 mile ruck, 20 miles of biking.

1 dryfire session

1 Fight Nite: drills, mits, heavy bag, light sparring.

Spent 1 day doing Force on Force evolutions with an Indiana police department, either as a roleplayer or instructor. Got in a few gunfights, went to hands-on in one scenario. Had a few minor adrenaline dumps. Won every fight I wanted to.

Tested a Harbor Freight 800 watt genny. $89 w/ coupon. Rotated out old gas for new. Labled all my gas cans so I don't find stale gas again when I need fresh.

Ordered a carrier for IV bag and start set. Ordered some tacticool EMT shears and a few minor surgery instruments.

Bought a bunch of canned fruit, canned chicken and honey for the survival pantry.

Refreshed my knowledge on toxic plants and critters by studying a copy of Petersons guide.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Went to the 1500 this last weekend.

Got another 1000 rounds of cheap 223, 100 rounds of 9mm gold dots, 300 rounds of .40 gold dots, another gas mask and a new book by a favorite local fictional writer.

Also picked up a mil surp 3 pc sleeper, an additional bag to set for BOB and some med supplies.

Got dental tools, picks and such. Also got a small case with light surgical supplies. Stats, scalp and such along with 3-0 and 5-0 sutures. Picked up some extras of those so I can study and then practice on my sewing skills.

More importantly I helped my father to become more enlightened for the preparedness scene.

Yesterday I made a lone trip to the store and got more canned goods, mutt chow, baking soda, salt, vodka, and honey. Looked odd at the checkout, but oh well.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Ok, the bradley tractor wouldn't start. Bad plug or wire? Magneto is still hot [ouch]
    compression feels good, timing is right... try again after payday.
    Got a sweet deal on a 2 bottom plow, gonna try winter wheat,barley and maybe rye this fall [very small plots] see what grows.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Got on the conditioning last week. Put down 12 miles of running, 3 mile ruck, and 3 sessions in the gym.

1 dryfire session

2 range sessions. One was basic, pistol marksmanship and AR conversion stuff.
    The other I ran some pistol and rifle drills, transitions, mag changes etc.

Spent 2 seperate days in the woods practicing bushcraft. Tracking, water crossings, stealth, fire building, land nav and so on. One day solo, the other day with a bud.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Cleaned out my barn. (70%) Found some items that "walked" from the house to the barn. ?????

Took two matches to get rid of the unneeded junk. What a waste of resources.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Purchased a new LP fireplace (with thermostat control) to supplement the wood furnace (so I don't have to babysit it).

I also cut more firewood to stockup for the winter.
    I seriously just love not being in an urban center. While it is more convenient to be plugged into the Matrix, I prefer knowing my neighbors and looking out my window to see pasture, agriculture and woods.
    A side benefit is that we do not rely on municipal water, we don't ingest large amount of fluoride.
    The only utility we have, and last piece is getting "off the grid" is electricity. That is a harder nut to crack.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ok, the bradley tractor wouldn't start. Bad plug or wire? Magneto is still hot [ouch]
    compression feels good, timing is right... try again after payday.
    Got a sweet deal on a 2 bottom plow, gonna try winter wheat,barley and maybe rye this fall [very small plots] see what grows.

Is this a Bradley?!
    Or a Graham-Bradley?!
    Or a David Bradley?!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    How long will the chili last?

Oh I've got some here we're eating now that been in the jar for a year. I'd say 2 years.

It's basically my mix of beans, meat, tomatoes, and spices. Add all the other stuff to it later. (Onions, macaroni (God forbid), cheese)

Good on meatloaf too.

Jar it in pints and pressure can at 11 lbs for 90 minutes with a 10 minute steam blow off at the beginning to make sure everything is good and hot hot.

If you open one and it starts to foam a little or bubble a little, dump it out and do not eat it. It's spoiled. So far we've not had any spoil.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    Thanks! The wife and I are just getting into canning and can use all the help we can get!

Oh I've got some here we're eating now that been in the jar for a year. I'd say 2 years.

It's basically my mix of beans, meat, tomatoes, and spices. Add all the other stuff to it later. (Onions, macaroni (God forbid), cheese)

Good on meatloaf too.

Jar it in pints and pressure can at 11 lbs for 90 minutes with a 10 minute steam blow off at the beginning to make sure everything is good and hot hot.

If you open one and it starts to foam a little or bubble a little, dump it out and do not eat it. It's spoiled. So far we've not had any spoil.

curtissp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks! The wife and I are just getting into canning and can use all the help we can get!

I made some bread and butter pickles and canned tomatoes from my garden first time and came out good.

If you havent already get the Ball Blue Book guide to perserving very good read helped me out alot for a beginner.

Curtiss

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Started walking again today. It's about a mile around the two blocks surrounding the building where I work. Pretty steep hills in three directions and one flat road.

I haven't walked since about this time last year and was worried that I might react pretty much the same as the first time (Huffing & puffing up the hills), but except for a short term, slight "burn", I did very well. So, instead of one block, I decided to do two. (That's the mile)

I will continue in the same direction all week, then change it up next week. Then add distance each week thereafter.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to run (I'm 61 and WAY out of shape), but I plan to add bicycling as soon as I get my bike back together. (Left it out in the weather and the tires were flat and the chain is rusted so badly that I couldn't break it loose. Also want to change the handlebars. I never did like the one that came with it.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

Good luck with it. We enjoy doing it. It takes a lot of time but the taste and satisfaction of controlling all the ingredients makes up for it.

If you don't have a pressure canner, I urge you to get one as soon as you can. Until then you're really limited in what you can can. You'll have to stick to high acid foods like tomatoes.

eBay is a good place to get pressure canners. I have bought them at garage sales and craigslist as well. One word of advice, when you buy a used canner, go online and buy all new gaskets for it before you do anything else. You never know how old the gaskets are when you buy used. Aluminum canners are great. I think ours is a 21 quart model from Mirro or Presto. Holds about 8 quart jars at a time, or about 16 pint jars since you can double stack them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom