• Status
    Not open for further replies.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I feel for the OP. I too have seen a friend treated poorly and jumped to his aid, only to find out that he was being a prick in the first place and deserved the treatment he was getting.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I feel for the OP. I too have seen a friend treated poorly and jumped to his aid, only to find out that he was being a prick in the first place and deserved the treatment he was getting.

I agree. This does not reflect poorly on OP at all. He was trying to do right by his friend...he didn't know the whole story yet. Seems like an OK guy to me.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Can you share some of the more "interesting" ones?

I've seen usernames attacking Que and VUPDBlue directly. You won't see them under "Member List", but if you go to "Advanced Search" and start typing their usernames in the "Search for: User Name" box, some interesting variants come up. Apparently someone believed them to be fond of goats.

I have a guess as to who it might be.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've seen usernames attacking Que and VUPDBlue directly. You won't see them under "Member List", but if you go to "Advanced Search" and start typing their usernames in the "Search for: User Name" box, some interesting variants come up. Apparently someone believed them to be fond of goats.

I have a guess as to who it might be.

Your guess is officially confirmed.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    We have banned all kinds of usernames in the past, especially after a few members came back with several interesting names in an effort to get under our skin. It has nothing to do with being PC. If the guy wants to register with an acceptable name, there will not be a problem, as long as he follows the rules.
    What was offensive about his name ?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What was offensive about his name ?

It wasn't offensive to me. However, I know some who would be very offended by it, but that is not necessarily the reason to remove it. The name doesn't represent the board well. So, that along with the fact that it makes others uncomfortable, the username was rejected. Again, if he wants to come back with a more appropriate name he is certainly welcome. Since that has not happened, I suspect his reason for choosing that name was calculated. If he's just offended about being banned, then that's his problem. We can't make everyone happy.

Why are you defending the name so vigorously?

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Excuse me as I cast some stones from my Japanese vehicle.....

There is a difference between worshipping an evil regime and what it stood for, and holding a grudge against a peoples whose ancestors committed those atrocities but who aren't committing evil now. In the case of the latter there are few places who can't cast those stones.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    A few were making the case that "Sieg heil" simply means "victory and health". No big deal. Until it's used in the context of a rally cry for the nazi party. Then it becomes a big deal.

Maybe the OP's friend simply meant "victory and health" for everyone. (purple where appropriate)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom