• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    when I was active Army, and I would see a weekend warriors (national guard) with their scuffed up boots and their wrinkled uniforms with strings, etc, and they still said "U.S. ARMY" on them, I was offended. but then after 9/11 the national guard started getting shot at in the same places I was getting shot at, and all that former BS went out the window. if a man is willing to die for his country I dont care what kind of uniform he wears, or what his sexual preference is, or what god he prays too if any, or even if he is wearing coveralls or butt naked. if he is willing to fight beside me, I will respect them just the same.

I agree with all except the naked dude... I'll buy him some pants, and then we can fight together. =P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    We should honor modern minute men when we find ourselves in need of them. Do we need minutemen today? Our biggest "war" is on gun regulation, and IMO minutemen are not helping much with that battle except making gun owners look nuts. :twocents:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    We should honor modern minute men when we find ourselves in need of them. Do we need minutemen today? Our biggest "war" is on gun regulation, and IMO minutemen are not helping much with that battle except making gun owners look nuts. :twocents:

oh, I think Appleseed makes gun owners look pretty good and responsible. And are also doing a fine job reminding people why this country was founded and who and how it was done. Also bringing a new generation of good shooters into the world the right and safe way. I plan on attending this year :rockwoot:

the people who run around with war paint and BDU's and post pics all over the internet are the ones scaring the sheep. not that its wrong, I just think its the wrong approach to get support.

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    IDK, I have this image stuck in my head of a bunch of drunk rednecks running around in miliarty surplus bdu's and boots, shooting deer rifles. Being former military, it's a little offensive. Now if they dropped the bdu's and the militia name. Mabey a "uniform" that doesn't look military but still professial, I would think about it.

Hello,

There are several great "militia" civic groups that assist the national guard in certain states, Arizona for instance. There are also the crazy kind that pretend, grand stand, and strive for some hypermasculenity and sense of self worth with a big gun (BTW thank you for serving). That being said I couldn't agree with you more. Service to country, man, and liberty is a very high calling and to pretend to be on equal footing with those that have served is an insult. I am a gun owner, I volunteer, and I have done much for my community but I would never pretend that I have served, and will usually defer to those that have.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Spend some time listening to militia radio put on by one of the Michigan militia groups. You will not longer doubt their insanity, that they are blow hards, that they are anti-semitic. I would loathe a world that they were part of governing.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Personally, I think you have to look at militias individually. Many are very well run organizations and then there are a few of those that are willing to shoot at anything that moves. Militias are to be used as a last resort, after negotiations and all other legal channels have completely failed us. That’s when the time comes to defend ourselves and our country. That’s when I believe we will be glad that there are militias and similar organizations.

I wouldn’t mind being a member of a militia, but I would always be concerned that I would be under constant surveillance by our trusting government. :D

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Spend some time listening to militia radio put on by one of the Michigan militia groups. You will not longer doubt their insanity, that they are blow hards, that they are anti-semitic. I would loathe a world that they were part of governing.

What frequency does one find "militia radio"?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    What frequency does one find "militia radio"?

cbs, abc, nbc.

oh you said militia radio. I thought you said militant radio. ;)

The govt intentionaly infiltrates organizations it deams a threat to its power. the govt agents & informants who "get in" are often the most radical members of the groups and the ones pushing the group to say and do outlandish things. They do this to insure the group stays in a negative light.

Theres a lot of crack pots out there that hide behind the "militia" name to spread their own sick agenda's, like racism (one race better than any other), or anarchy (no form of government or rule of law at all). but Im sure there are also groups out there who call themselves a "militia" who really are patriots for America, and believe in honoring the constitution and the American REPUBLIC that we are supposed to have. The Constitution makes CLEAR who is militia in America to preserve freedom. If the time ever comes, I imagine those people who have a sense of Honor and Duty will respond.

but like Keith said above, I would personally be afraid of tying myself to any group that calls themselves a "militia" because you will automatically become a target of the govt, no matter if your intentions are innocent or not.

look what happened to the Templar's!

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    It does occur to me that the minutemen spent a great deal of time practicing their marksmanship. Most folk don't know that. They think the militia just showed up and started shooting at the British. Most, however, had spent time training together and shooting together, not unlike the "militias" today. Now about the BDU's. Problem with BDU's, in my opinion, is that they look just like every other military in the world. Unless you're up close or have U.S. Army experience I suppose, which most of us don't, it's awfully hard to tell who the good guys and bad guys are. That might give the militia a psychological edge in a fire fight, especially if they are fighting against some rag tag highway men who might not want to go up against what they think are regular soldiers. However, the original Minutemen did not wear uniforms as has been noted and thus could blend in better with the populace. True, this seems to work for the insurgents in the Middle East. So personally, I don't know. I can see pros and cons either way. I guess the real question is: do you feel we need militias today? Personally, I do. We can't depend on the National Guard who might either be overwhelmed or not have enough ammo. (That's a whole different thread as I understand the main ammo depots are generally pretty far from the armories, and in an emergency ammo might not be easily transported.) And we also don't know how the local police or NG will handle orders to round up guns, or arrest civilians (ala New Orleans). In that case, I wouldn't mind having a local force to protect against criminals if the authorities and NG can't get into action or are diverted elsewhere..or even possibly to protect against the government itself if need be. Remember, the 2nd Amendment is there to provide the teeth for all the other amendments and WE are the militia who must enforce it. I'd rather we have at least some among us who are trained and can act together whether they wear BDU's or not.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Most people don't recognize one now let alone during a disaster.:twocents:

exactly! I think if the militia is called up, it wont be to assist the cops or the national guard :twocents: but because of rules I cannot say more. I would not join any militia or be associated with one now though. you will become a target whether your right or wrong. Even speaking against the govt when they do wrong, we as individuals are targets. welcome to the new colonies

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    exactly! I think if the militia is called up, it wont be to assist the cops or the national guard :twocents: but because of rules I cannot say more. I would not join any militia or be associated with one now though. you will become a target whether your right or wrong. Even speaking against the govt when they do wrong, we as individuals are targets. welcome to the new colonies

Irishfan Land or maybe The Green Colony:rockwoot:

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Well, I was hoping this thread would have gone away by now, but it has at least died down to the point that some no longer feel their honor assulted, so I guess I can speak.

I'm sorry for my outburst, it was disrespectful, and I am sorry. I still don't understand the zeal around bdu's, but whatever, to each their own I suppose. If your looking to blend in, bdu's seem like a poor choice to me except in a few special cases. But again, to each their own.

If you join a group of people to protect each other, power to you. I still don't think that falls into the definition of militia, though. To me, a militia protects the people, not just its people. What most of you are talking about sounds closer to a cabal or gang, or maybe even a armed neighborhood watch. I mean that not in a bad way, I'm just purely try to find a more accuate word, no connotation, good or bad, intended.

I can understand ex-military liking being able to go out a do training with rifles and other people, that mind set is difficult to turn off and it might help them meld back into citizen life. However, as has been said in one way or another, any unregulated group of armed people who value their privacy will bring fear and suspicion. I was only trying to offer my thoughts on how such misunderstandings might be mitigated. Misundstandings is how waco happened. Even though they weren't doing anything wrong, fear and lack of understanding won the day.

Anyway, I'm sorry for my outburst.

Also, the reputation thing is interesting. I think its in poor sport to bad-rep me, though. I haven't bad-rep'ed anyone who see's different then me, but I was bad-rep'ed long before my outburst. Means little, but whatever empowers you, right?

Last edited:

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    if SHTF will the national guard or police even recognize a citizen militia?

Doesn't matter if the police and NG are too few, elsewhere or rendered ineffective by lack of supplies. (Seriously, most of the ammo for central Indiana is kept in Ft.Wayne. Armories only have a small supply. So if shooting begins, NG may be S out of L.) I can see militias moving up to fill the gap to protect neighborhoods and rural areas. It did happen in the Middle East recently. Reporters talked about how they had to pass through check points in neighborhoods in Egypt. If SHTF here I can see it happening here, too. My point is that I'd rather see a well-trained group or groups running things.:twocents:

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    In my time in the Guard, we never kept ammo at the armories. It was all at the Camps or Forts.
    So if there was ever civil unrest, they would be SOL until they got supplied. They would only have the batons and riot shields to use.

2500ekW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    Now for a question completely unlike the recent conversation....

So, the Indiana national guard reserve is actually recognized by the state? Their website TOTALLY does not look legit!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Well, I was hoping this thread would have gone away by now, but it has at least died down to the point that some no longer feel their honor assulted, so I guess I can speak.

I'm sorry for my outburst, it was disrespectful, and I am sorry. I still don't understand the zeal around bdu's, but whatever, to each their own I suppose. If your looking to blend in, bdu's seem like a poor choice to me except in a few special cases. But again, to each their own.

Anyway, I'm sorry for my outburst.

While I do appreciate your apology and I'm sure many others do as well......

I must inform you with great regret and sadness that we are still not letting you into the circle-jerk, please stop calling.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Doesn't matter if the police and NG are too few, elsewhere or rendered ineffective by lack of supplies. (Seriously, most of the ammo for central Indiana is kept in Ft.Wayne. Armories only have a small supply. So if shooting begins, NG may be S out of L.) I can see militias moving up to fill the gap to protect neighborhoods and rural areas. It did happen in the Middle East recently. Reporters talked about how they had to pass through check points in neighborhoods in Egypt. If SHTF here I can see it happening here, too. My point is that I'd rather see a well-trained group or groups running things.:twocents:

and if youre not part of the militia, then how are decisions made?

I can't say for certain, but in the Egyptian instance people organized themselves and their neighborhoods after they saw the clouds on the horizon. Their intent was to protect themselves and their property. I believe the key difference between them and what is typically thought of as a "militia," is that the Egyptians were organized for defense, and didnt necessarily have like minds politically. Conversely, the common concept (either rightly or wrongly) of militias, is a group of old fat white guys Southern Baptists, that complain about illegals, minorities, and get together to plan for the upcoming civil war, in which they plan on being active participants.

I've never been a fan of militias as they are portrayed currently. Now, if you and your neighbors organize during a SHTF (zombies!) scenario to protect yourselves and your property, and are calling that a militia, no problem. :yesway:

...by the way, before I get hate mail from the Baptists, I'm a Southern Baptist... it was a joke

Top Bottom