What Did People Do Before Air Conditioning?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    my aunt is 87 and she has no AC and doesn't want any.......the other day i told my mom i was going to take her a AC and mom said don't she will get mad at me:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    my aunt is 87 and she has no AC and doesn't want any.......the other day i told my mom i was going to take her a AC and mom said don't she will get mad at me:dunno:

If you never had it your body will adjust the same as it does through the seasons. I can stand the cold pretty well once my internal thermostat adjusts to it. Same with the heat.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We're leaving Friday, spending one day at the beach, then five days with the rat.
    We're taking a couple days to drive down this time. Driving to Dalton Georgia the first day, then getting up early the next morning and heading to Macon, to visit the Allman brothers museum, then on to Jacksonville for the night. We love driving down the east coast of Florida on A1A! We'll stop for lunch in Ponce inlet, then head over to the see Mickey that afternoon. I think 5 days in the park is what we're doing, too. Have fun and be safe!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We usually go in mid September, sometimes early October, but have been there in june and july. A few years back, when we were there in July, it was more comfortable there than here. I'm actually glad the last few days here have been so miserable heat wise, it'll help prepare for our vacation, but yes, plenty of water will be had.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Tell me about it, mine just went out and I felt like a baby. Thanks to a family friend we got a brand new carrier unit and a new evaporator coil for $1,300 installed. Couldn't beat the deal.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

If you never had it your body will adjust the same as it does through the seasons. I can stand the cold pretty well once my internal thermostat adjusts to it. Same with the heat.

Plus, most old people like it hot.

Right, CM?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I didn't grow up with AC. My parents couldn't afford to run one anyhow. My grandparents don't run theirs much and I am sure they didn't grow up having one.

AC feels weird to me and I have to shut if off and open the windows or just go outside. I can only stand it for so long.

Non of my parents vehicles had working AC nor did mine or my wifes vehicle have working AC for a lot of years.

We pulled the blinds in the house and had box fans running. Spent a lot of time in the basement hanging out and cooking down their. I even would sleep down their on a cot. I can close my eyes and picture mom down their canning tomatoes and boiling sweet corn.

My neighbors are crazy! They turn the heat off in the spring and the AC starts right up. Never a break.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    They had trees around their house that kept some cool air close to the ground that kept the home's cool. They also didn't have neighbors with heat pump machines blowing out the heat from their homes heating up the neighborhood. Think about it, close neighbors with big AC units just heat up the area so you need AC too. I used a fan in the window up until the 2nd week of June when I had to turn the AC on.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Look at how homes were constructed prior to AC, in particular the height of their ceilings and the size, shape and quantity of windows, plus their design and how they were used. They were constructed for convection with hot air exiting at the very top while pulling in cooler outside are at the bottom. With electricity came fans to move air through. Windows and doors were opened at night for cooler air to move in, and some homes had screened in sleeping porches in back where the family slept at night. This was in an era that didn't see the frequency of home invasions and burglaries, many of them armed, as we do today. If people lived like this today, the wolves would be preying on them in a heartbeat.

John

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Didn't have a/c in the house until maybe 15 years ago. It is actually too cold when you have been outside working and come in for the day. I prefer a gentle breeze outside to cool naturally. When I was a kid, and the temp got above 90 or so, dad would come home in the evening and take us for a drive down through the "creek bottom". It would cool you down naturally. We had one fan in the house and it was in mom & dad's bedroom. If it got too hot, we would sleep on the porch. Too hot in the day and we would go to the river, creek or stone quarry. Great times!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Didn't have a/c in the house until maybe 15 years ago. It is actually too cold when you have been outside working and come in for the day. I prefer a gentle breeze outside to cool naturally. When I was a kid, and the temp got above 90 or so, dad would come home in the evening and take us for a drive down through the "creek bottom". It would cool you down naturally. We had one fan in the house and it was in mom & dad's bedroom. If it got too hot, we would sleep on the porch. Too hot in the day and we would go to the river, creek or stone quarry. Great times!

That is how we grew up but when we moved into the city the evening drives etc were no more.
    No porch to sleep on we toughed it out. 1 fan in a window front of the hose pulled the night air in through the windows. That was it.

We survived. Agreed....great times.

Top Bottom