What Did People Do Before Air Conditioning?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yup. That was our problem. They used to take sections of pipe/tubing out, and soak it in a bucket of bug juice and water. Stuff would clean the pipe shiny.
    Finding the plug can be a problem.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And sudden shutdown, and steam loss was the MAJOR cause.

Yup. These units are most always steam driven.

The SanyoBohn machines had a boiler as part of the package from the factory.
    On sight maint. people were constantly screwing with the boilers in an attempt to get more tonnage from the machines. The would turn up the burner rate of fire and do nothing with the rate of circulation of the cooling medium. Balance was essential.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I grew up in a house that had a single window unit it was used only on the hottest of nights, and my parents were too cheap to buy fans. Upstairs was always stupid hot, we were told to deal with it.

My a/c went out this week and I received a reminder of those days. I had 3 fans going in my living room and was flat miserable.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Anyone ever notice that the air temps at Walt Disney World (in the parks) are lower than the surrounding area?

Anyone know why (without web searching)?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Anyone ever notice that the air temps at Walt Disney World (in the parks) are lower than the surrounding area?

The park is cooled by an underground river of liquid nitrogen that also keeps Walt's head frozen.;)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

images

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The park is cooled by an underground river of liquid nitrogen that also keeps Walt's head frozen.;)

I was going to suggest water-cooling beneath the pavement, if it is due to something that was engineered...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Misting stations?

I was going to suggest water-cooling beneath the pavement, if it is due to something that was engineered...

Close . . .

There is a metric butt-tonne load of tunnels under the parks with lots of equipment. They pull air through the tunnels where it is cooler, then blow it across the park. It's enough to make a difference.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Close . . .

There is a metric butt-tonne load of tunnels under the parks with lots of equipment. They pull air through the tunnels where it is cooler, then blow it across the park. It's enough to make a difference.

And at the risk of passing urban legends, Pretty sure the trash cans are over the tunnels. They empty them from below so you never see a custodian driving around with stinky trash, spoiling the atmosphere.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, multiple sites all seem to say the same thing as I search:

"Garbage
    Despite the massive amounts of trash generated at Disney parks every day, you won’t see garbage trucks anywhere. That’s because the AVAC (Automated Vacuum-Assisted Collection) system takes care of it instead. Giant pneumatic tubes at designated areas in the park carry garbage to a processing area behind Splash Mountain—and it’s all concealed within the utilidors."

And because the water table is so high, the tunnels are actually above ground. Disney itself was built on top of them as a 2nd story. makes sense since to get to the ticket lines you have to go up a couple flights of stairs from the parking lot. (as I recall)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    3rd story, as I recall. Top being the part we see. Next down is for travel and food and such. Character dressing rooms, too. Third is maintenance and facilities.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I come to these threads for hard core prepping info and what do I get?

Ok, maybe I'm just jealous because my parents never took me there.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The engineering that went into Disney world is truly amazing. I enjoy looking for little clues as to how things work there as much as anything else in the parks......well, I really enjoy the vast selection of beer at Epcot just as much as the engineering, but that's beside the point.

Top Bottom