what carry flashlights do you recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Choosing a Long Gun Weaponlight

comes from here, as well as multiple other sources google turns up.

I don't train soldiers or marines for combat, so all I can recommend are lights that fits their description.
    If they wanted weapon mountable, Surefire is out. All the weapon lights are single mode. I personally wouldn't mount a P2x or lx2 or whatever on a weapon, these lights don't float the batteries, so you run the risk of battery failure. I would want the lowest failure risk possible if I were in a combat situation as that is no time for failure.
    so that means you are going to have to go with something like a 4sevens G5, which you can set to come on low and slowly tighten the head to step throw the modes. Jetbeam makes some similar lights as well.

For handheld, just go with the LX2. Low when pushed... press harder and you get more light output. Nice tight beam on these, the TIR lens will make that 200 lumens feel like more.
    Generally, as a Soldier/Marine when I am using a weapons light it on or off. No high, medium, low. No Strobe needed. I don't care about the Blinding Ability of the Light as I am generally running one of 3 Filters (Red, Blue, IR). Also, I generally do not need a 200+ Lumen Light mounted on my weapon. Refraction of objects in the MOUT is as bad for me as it is for the person I am using the light to find.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I've had surefires, 4sevens, and a few other brands.. nothing even comes close to comparing to my HDS.. ..I can't wait for my 200.

:rockwoot:

2012-11-05_15-14-23_50.jpg

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    What's the difference between a Hipoint and an H&K?

Marketing? :D

I don't skimp on defense tools. People always want to buy cheap but if you are going to buy one flashlight to carry with you every day and trust with your life, pony up a couple of bucks and get the best.

I've seen a lot of lesser lights fail. Surefires tend to hold up to more abuse longer. I want something that I can expect to work if it's needed.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I don't skimp on defense tools. People always want to buy cheap but if you are going to buy one flashlight to carry with you every day and trust with your life, pony up a couple of bucks and get the best.

I've seen a lot of lesser lights fail. Surefires tend to hold up to more abuse longer. I want something that I can expect to work if it's needed.

See, we do agree on a couple of things.... :D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What is the difference between a $150+ light and a $40 light that have the same features? (Other than $110)

Durability? :dunno:

I have a light that I carried everyday for the last two years, dropped in on concrete a bunch of times, used it as an impact weapon many times, used it underwater.Works just like on the first day.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    True

Are you sure it's true 100 lumens? My 120's will blind you.

Are you sure it's 120 lumens? :dunno: ;)

See what I did there. :):

No im not sure.The packaged said 100 Lumens.
    Most manufacturers are off on their ratings as there is no way for the average buyer/user to measure the lumens coming from his light.
    Kinda like tents made for 3 people that are actually only good for two.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Most manufacturers are off on their ratings as there is no way for the average buyer/user to measure the lumens coming from his light.

Not Surefire. With them, you know exactly what you're getting. ;)

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI

Ahh the rotary. Jealous. Seriously folks, this light is it - I use mine every day in powerplants, steel mills, ect. Nothing comes close to the abuse it has taken, and the thing is sealed up tight. I am an inspector, and it gets banged around, covered with couplant and dust, dirt of all types, dropped occasionally - just begs for more. Switching modes is easy, no threads or twisting, lots of ppl mount the 'tactical' UI. Rides well in the pocket, too. Find one used with some rcr123's, win the light war.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    What is the difference between a $150+ light and a $40 light that have the same features? (Other than $110)

How about a true example. Surefire LX2 ($150) vs 4Sevens QB2L ($62)

LED: The QB2L wins here as it has the latest CREE LED, where the current LX2 lights are two generations older. But both have high quality LED's, but the LED in the QB2L is a little more expensive.

Light Output: This one is a little tricky. The QB2L has more light output, but the LX2 has a far superior lens and reflector(TIR). Therefore the 200 lumens of the LX2 will seem light a lot more than what it really is. The beam pattern is much nicer on the Surefire. The TIR set up is not cheap and is a major factor in the increased cost.

Body: The Surefire has a little heavier aluminum than the 4Sevens light. The fit and finish is also nicer on the Surefire. This also increases the cost of the light

Switch: the switch quality of Surefire lights are nice. They just feel like they would last forever. The 4Sevens switches are nicer than most, but still not as nice as a Surefire. Again, this cost more to make.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I've been using a Surefire 6P that I've had for about 10 years. I believe the 65 lumens it has will be plenty of juice for when it's needed. I don't work security anymore so I'm not out all night. I just keep it in my current jacket pocket. For home security use I recently acquired a Surefire LED with 120 lumens. It's efficient.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I've been using a Surefire 6P that I've had for about 10 years. I believe the 65 lumens it has will be plenty of juice for when it's needed. I don't work security anymore so I'm not out all night. I just keep it in my current jacket pocket. For home security use I recently acquired a Surefire LED with 120 lumens. It's efficient.

Pick up a new, or blemished, Malkoff devices drop in bulb (60, 61 series are popular) for that old 6p. You won't regret it

I think I had a blem in the mail for 35$ - great spot, with usable flood, 200 lumen at equal runtimes.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    ^^ This. ^^

Candlepowerforums is your friend. Surefire *does* make some of the best bodies for a mass-production manufacturer. I've maintained *several* SF 6p's, C2, E2 with drop-ins for something more than the pathetic stock or replacing incans.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Another vote for the Surefire E1B. I've been carrying mine for a little over a year and a half and have never once regretted spending the little bit extra to get a top of the line light.

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Any suggestions for those of us that want a practical, reasonably priced alternative?

The Streamlight microstream (AAA) is pretty hard to beat for the price. ~ $17
    It's a great, little, easy to carry light..
    Streamlight Microstream AAA C4 LED Penlight

I've carried a Fenix L1D (single AA) for a very long time. It's been a great light.
    Amazon.com: Fenix L1D 6 Level High Performance Cree LED Flashlight: Sports & Outdoors

I've been carrying an Energizer Romeo (single AA, angle-head) at work for a few months and it is working out very well. Magnets in the clip. Doesn't roll. Plastic cover on the clip makes it easy to mouth hold.
    Amazon.com: Energizer Hard Case Tactical ROMEO 1-LED Compact Vest Light (Batteries Included): Sports & Outdoors

TR1032

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Johnson County
    The Streamlight microstream (AAA) is pretty hard to beat for the price. ~ $17
    It's a great, little, easy to carry light..

I'll second the Microstream. Small, inexpensive, AAA batteries are cheap and available everywhere. I've had one for almost two years and it has never let me down.

It's not a super bright light, but it is great for everyday use and really handy when the power goes out unexpectedly.

Top Bottom