what carry flashlights do you recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    15 lumens is the dark will be a beacon for your enemy as well.

I carry a E1B with me most places, I use the 5 lumen mode more than the high. Not that I have ever tried, but I'm sure you could see me with my light on 5 lumens from at least 100 feet away.
    LOL!

You can see the cherry on a Ciggarette at like close to a klick with the naked eye...
    If you want to surprise someone, say that is breaking in your house, or grabs you on the street...etc. I don't want to be flicking switches, pressing buttons..etc to get my high out put up in their face. I want to hit the button and go.
    So...
    What would you recommend to a Soldier/Marine in Combat (Tactical Situation?!)?!
    I do NOT want a light to go straight to HIGH when the button is initially touched. Low is just fine, lower is even better...

By the way, I would like to know where the 60 Lumens blinds someone number comes from?!

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Yep, that's what I understood to be the purpose. Chances are if you want the lower output, you are in a situation that moving through the modes is not an issue. If you want the instant high output, you are likely in a situation where you don't want to tip anyone off that you are about to use it and you don't want to be fumbling with the modes. Just not sure why more lights don't have the high output as the first on mode or aren't programmable in some way to do this.

I really like the specs on the 6PX Pro, but not sure I like the way its dual modes works.

I'm thinking a light with the ability to press for low, press harder for high, then has a twist cap for constant on in either mode may be best (I think the lumamax works this way from reading), but again that's from reading not handling one in every day use. I'd like a reasonably priced light with specs similar to the 6PX Pro, that possibly has modes similar to what I described above ... hmmm decisions, decisions.

When will LED Warehouse have the brigther 6PX Pros in stock?

I wonder if the lumamax will get an output upgrade to 320 lumens as well?

Brighter versions are due in December... but in Surefire speak that means Jan or Feb... They have yet to hit a release date. The LX2 is also getting an upgrade and also will be coming out with a 500 lumen version which I'm guessing will have a slightly larger head to deal with the XML LED it will use.

The foursevens turbo lights are similar in function and will save you a couple bucks. You can get an AA or 123a verions. Here is a video of the AA version.

http://youtu.be/eocmxb6zYTg

These are now call the QB2a and the QB2L under the new naming system. And I would recommend you get the Gen 2 versions as they will be brighter.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    LOL!

You can see the cherry on a Ciggarette at like close to a klick with the naked eye...

So...
    What would you recommend to a Soldier/Marine in Combat (Tactical Situation?!)?!
    I do NOT want a light to go straight to HIGH when the button is initially touched. Low is just fine, lower is even better...

By the way, I would like to know where the 60 Lumens blinds someone number comes from?!

Choosing a Long Gun Weaponlight

comes from here, as well as multiple other sources google turns up.

I don't train soldiers or marines for combat, so all I can recommend are lights that fits their description.
    If they wanted weapon mountable, Surefire is out. All the weapon lights are single mode. I personally wouldn't mount a P2x or lx2 or whatever on a weapon, these lights don't float the batteries, so you run the risk of battery failure. I would want the lowest failure risk possible if I were in a combat situation as that is no time for failure.
    so that means you are going to have to go with something like a 4sevens G5, which you can set to come on low and slowly tighten the head to step throw the modes. Jetbeam makes some similar lights as well.

For handheld, just go with the LX2. Low when pushed... press harder and you get more light output. Nice tight beam on these, the TIR lens will make that 200 lumens feel like more.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    For handheld, just go with the LX2. Low when pushed... press harder and you get more light output. Nice tight beam on these, the TIR lens will make that 200 lumens feel like more.

The LX2 is currently the best personal defense flashlight made, in my opinion.

With that said, that flimsy pocket clip needs to go.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    LOL!

There are a few stories during WW2 where guys were shot at night hundreds of meters away because they where smoking a cigarette.

Im waiting on the source of that 60 lumens too. :popcorn:
    I can shine my 100 lumens EDC light right into my eye ball and not be blinded. :dunno:

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    There are a few stories during WW2 where guys were shot at night hundreds of meters away because they where smoking a cigarette.

I can shine my 100 lumens EDC light right into my eye ball and not be blinded. :dunno:

Source was posted above. But here it is again,

Also, not knowing what flashlight you have... it may only be 100 lumens at the emitter, which is not the same as 100 lumens in your eyeball... Manufacturers can write what ever they like on the box....

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Source was posted above. But here it is again,

Also, not knowing what flashlight you have... it may only be 100 lumens at the emitter, which is not the same as 100 lumens in your eyeball... Manufacturers can write what ever they like on the box....

Yes I know that the lumens are usually off but I had a light rated at 8700 lumens right in my face, 3 feet or so away, so im sure that more than 60 lumens reached my eye ball. :dunno:
    It was bright but I was not blinded.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Yes I know that the lumens are usually off but I had a light rated at 8700 lumens right in my face, 3 feet or so away, so im sure that more than 60 lumens reached my eye ball. :dunno:
    It was bright but I was not blinded.

You are the chosen one :):

I'm sure some people have better tolerances than others.

Also, keep in mind, at 60 lumens, or in fact any lumens hitting someone in the face, the goal is to buy you 3-4 seconds to get a way, draw ..etc.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You are the chosen one :):

I'm sure some people have better tolerances than others.

Also, keep in mind, at 60 lumens, or in fact any lumens hitting someone in the face, the goal is to buy you 3-4 seconds to get a way, draw ..etc.

:):

I guess it depends what you mean by "blinding" someone.

Yeah if I have to use my flashlight to defend myself I would strike with the bezel as well and not just shine the beam at the eyes and wait.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Where does the idea that in a tactical situation you want bright light first come from?!

Because there are two main things we will use the light for. To ID the threat,a nd to use it in extreme close range to reset the opponents OODA loop while we move. I want to be able to push the button and have my brightest light available for only as long as I am holding the button down. This is not perfectly compatible with the way you would want to use the light for more mundane tasks, but there you go.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

True

Are you sure it's true 100 lumens? My 120's will blind you.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have an iTP SA1 that I picked up a couple of years ago. I have been very happy with it. It runs off of 1 AA battery. It is 40,80,120 lumens and a 10Hz strobe. It also comes with a pouch, lanyard, and clip as well as a spare tail cap. I think I paid $60 for it.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I have an iTP SA1 that I picked up a couple of years ago. I have been very happy with it. It runs off of 1 AA battery. It is 40,80,120 lumens and a 10Hz strobe. It also comes with a pouch, lanyard, and clip as well as a spare tail cap. I think I paid $60 for it.

Itp doesn't exist anymore.

The quark QTA or QPA will be similar.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Fenix PD32, it's my end-all-be-all. Never leaves my pocket. Absolutely never. Lady at Lucas Oil Stadium even teased that I couldn't take it in for a Colts game - As I started walking away she told me I can carry it with me.

Honestly, it's an amazing flashlight with a bright CREE R5 LED. Uses 18650 rechargeables, that I use in it, and they last a LONG time. Takes a good beating, too.

If you're looking for a cheaper option, I bought a $40 JETBeam BC20 CREE R5 LED flashlight that uses 2x CR123 batteries as a backup. It's to my pleasure to say it never gets used, because it's the FENIX I use!

SnakeDoctor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    I know I'm late responding but I think the best for your money is the GSX 4-Source Tactical Handheld LED Flashlight at Gander Mountain. its 235 Lumens & has many festures. Self Defense Strobe 8/ Flashes per second, Color LED Options & is Water Resistant. They have it on sale right now for only 39.99, it is usually twice that. Good luck!

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I've had surefires, 4sevens, and a few other brands.. nothing even comes close to comparing to my HDS high cri clicky. I have a HDS clicky tactical on order, but picked up the high cri on candlepowerforuns. Great UI, great feel, no twisting anything, quality seems unmatched under 200$ (I paid 150 shipped).

I won't buy anything else from now on. Too bad they have a horrible backlog due to parts production problems. I can't wait for my 200.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    I have a Surefire Fury, and it is bright. On high, 500 lumens. Qualifies it as a spot light. Not any larger than a Fenix, either.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Because there are two main things we will use the light for. To ID the threat,a nd to use it in extreme close range to reset the opponents OODA loop while we move. I want to be able to push the button and have my brightest light available for only as long as I am holding the button down. This is not perfectly compatible with the way you would want to use the light for more mundane tasks, but there you go.
    Ahhhh....

Civilian Tactical application, not a Military Tactical Application. Got it... :yesway:

By the way, kinda related, the Strobe or Bright Flash does not really bother me to much. Certainly not enough to keep me from either Striking or Shooting the Person who has flashed me. Does that make me an oddity or is there more persons out there that are not effected than what some would have you believe?! :dunno:

Top Bottom