What are you watching on Netflix and Amazon Prime?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So I power binged season three Jack Ryan over the last couple days and I liked it but I have one major snit: Jack horribly mispronounced - twice - the name “Ramstein“ airbase in Germany. I can’t imagine that anyone who had time in the military and the CIA would not know how to say “Ramstein.” Even if he was a Marine.

And the damned auto correct in the Ingo editor keeps wanting to change the name of the air base into the name of the band

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Finished up The Recruit on Netflix this morning. I really enjoyed the series and definitely recommend it. Hopefully they do not take their sweet *** time getting the next season out.

A couple episodes into Jack Ryan and it is really good.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Finished up The Recruit on Netflix this morning. I really enjoyed the series and definitely recommend it. Hopefully they do take their sweet *** time getting the next season out.

A couple episodes into Jack Ryan and it is really good.
    Almost done with Recruit but my wife sucks at binging. One episode to go. Entertaining.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So I power binged season three Jack Ryan over the last couple days and I liked it but I have one major snit: Jack horribly mispronounced - twice - the name “Ramstein“ airbase in Germany. I can’t imagine that anyone who had time in the military and the CIA would not know how to say “Ramstein.” Even if he was a Marine.

And the damned auto correct in the Ingo editor keeps wanting to change the name of the air base into the name of the band
    What the wrong and right way to say it?

Being a German name maybe all Americans say it wrong regardless of their service history. :dunno:

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

Being a German name maybe all Americans say it wrong regardless of their service history. :dunno:
    Looks pretty basic to me, but I don't recall how Jim Halpert pronounced it as Jack Ryan. But as an American, one of my pet peeves is the way most of us pronounce "Porsche" as a one-syllable word.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Ramstein Airbase has been a major American military airbase since 1949. It is well known throughout the military and government services because of a) the long stand off of the Soviets in Europe where it served as both a USAF and NATO headquarters and B) it is a very common transit point for anything going to the Middle East. Anybody involved in the military and political aspects of the last 70 or 80 years (like 22+ year veteran me) has heard of Ramstein.

In American military/government service English, Ramstein is pronounced “Ram-stine”, which approximates the German pronunciation of ”Rahm-shtine.”

Ryan/Krasinski said ”Ram-steen.” It really jumps out and takes him out of character. An analyst/operative like Jack Ryan, Specializing in Russian studies, would be well aware of this airbase, Has in fact been used for “secret” missions many times in the past.

The difference between saying “stine” and steen” is not by itself a big deal, but it’s noticeable and it’s just not something anyone familiar with Ramstein would do.

Recalled Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder even had a joke about this in their Frankenstein parody movie, where Wilder purposely mispronounced his last name to distinguish himself from his evil father.
    ”It’s FraankenSHTEEN!”

But I digress. Anyway it’s not a mistake that a guy in the know like Jack Ryan would make. It would be like listening to two supposed Frenchman speaking French and one of them pronounces the “s” at the end of “Paris”. That would jump right out at you.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    But as an American, one of my pet peeves is the way most of us pronounce "Porsche" as a one-syllable word.

Pretty much all languages convert foreign words to a pronunciation that follows its rules. Pronouncing th German car company Porsche in English as “porsh” is not wrong, it’s just English. just like we usually say “pair-iss” not “pair-ee” for the French capital city of Paris.

The Germans do the same thing. When I got to Germany I was amused to find out that they called french fries by its French name, but pronounced it as “pummus frittus”. The French name is “pommes frites,” literally “fried potatoes”. The French pronounce it (approximately)“pome freet,” not saying the “S” at the end, but in the German language every letter of a word gets pronounced.

The case of Jack Ryan above, “Ramsteen” would not necessarily be wrong in English in general, but the Americans who live and work there, and know about the place, all follow the German pronunciation more or less, and a CIA operative would know this I’m pretty sure. Ramstein is part of the Kaiserslautern military community, which at one point was the largest population of Americans outside the borders of the United States, Until the first Ulf War when the US basically picked up its forces in Germany and put them into Saudi Arabia. Not sure what the population status is now.

Anyway it’s one of those things like when someone calls a magazine a clip. Not a huge deal really, but it says he’s not really familiar with the subject.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Generally, German 'ie' or 'ei' are pronounced with the last letter in the combo.

So, 'ie' is pronounced 'eeeee'

And 'ei' is pronounced 'eye'.

So.. stein (a type of drinking mug) is pronounced

and Rammstein

And yes, not all, buy MANY veterans know how to pronounce it.
    Even if they've never been there.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Looks pretty basic to me, but I don't recall how Jim Halpert pronounced it as Jack Ryan. But as an American, one of my pet peeves is the way most of us pronounce "Porsche" as a one-syllable word.
    I usually pronounce it like the porch on the front of my house. I've heard it pronounced "porcha" or "porsha" by aficionados. I suppose you could pronounce it in two syllables por-che' with the last syllable pronounce like Guevara's nickname...

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I usually pronounce it like the porch on the front of my house. I've heard it pronounced "porcha" or "porsha" by aficionados. I suppose you could pronounce it in two syllables por-che' with the last syllable pronounce like Guevara's nickname...
    Yep. "PORsha" is very close to the correct German pronunciation.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I finished the paint job,sir.
    Oh, by the way that is a Lamborghini not a porch.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I once had that problem with a crt tv.
    After quite a while I went into the settings and found the brightness was set very low.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I’ve been ill (food poisoning I think) so I’m doing something I never do: laying on the sofa binging Jack Ryan. My wife left this morning to visit family and will be home tomorrow so I’m trying to knock it out since she won’t watch it.

I have the first five episodes done.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I’ve been ill (food poisoning I think) so I’m doing something I never do: laying on the sofa binging Jack Ryan. My wife left this morning to visit family and will be home tomorrow so I’m trying to knock it out since she won’t watch it.

I have the first five episodes done.
    hope you get feeling better soon

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom