What are you watching on Netflix and Amazon Prime?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think this "John Krasinski" Jack Ryan is more in the mold of Jack Ryan the son of "Harrison Ford" Jack Ryan.
    I forget now, but doesn't he have the same back story. Former Marine, helicopter crash.

Using Jr would have made more sense, but then they should have kept Greer out of it.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Fell asleep to the first episode after working a 12 hour day. Fired up again and it really took off with episode 2. Might be a binge weekend.
    I gotta wait for kids to go to bed to be able to watch it. So far its good. I like how they portray them all as mostly self centered bureaucrat back stabbers. Feels like thats more real life for cia

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I forget now, but doesn't he have the same back story. Former Marine, helicopter crash.

Using Jr would have made more sense, but then they should have kept Greer out of it.
    Yes, they do put in JR "the DAD's" backstory. I just tell myself "Its hollywood, Jake, forget about it" to paraphrase the movie Chinatown. :)

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    We watched the original Miracle on 34th Street a couple of nights ago. I had never seen it.

damn-so-what.gif

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As a movie that had nothing to do with Clancy "Without Remorse" was just OK. The book filled in so much Ryan biographicl info. We know why in Cardinal he was called Ivan Emitovitch.
    Without Remorse was my favorite Clancy book.
    Never bothered with the movie, because Hollywood has f'd up so many of the Clancy books I gave up.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Never bothered with the movie, because Hollywood has f'd up so many of the Clancy books I gave up.
    Turning books into movies is usually a losing proposition. There is too much story to cram into approximately 2 hours.

Then some decide to totally change the story, and you are left with just a title and character names.

The first Dune movie was a pretty horrible adaptation. Battlefield Earth was even worse.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    There was some discussion about this earlier, but at the risk of repeating myself, I'm disappointed that, in my opinion, the wrong early Clancy book was made into a movie. Red Storm Rising was so much better that The Hunt for Red October, and would have made a great movie. With crazy Vladimir running amok, maybe there's still hope for a modified version?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Turning books into movies is usually a losing proposition. There is too much story to cram into approximately 2 hours.

I agree books can cover better, and you can't fit it all into a movie.
    Yet, there are some movies that do a good job.
    I think the ones that throw out the material and start with just the names, are just Hollywood's ego screwing things up.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There was some discussion about this earlier, but at the risk of repeating myself, I'm disappointed that, in my opinion, the wrong early Clancy book was made into a movie. Red Storm Rising was so much better that The Hunt for Red October, and would have made a great movie. With crazy Vladimir running amok, maybe there's still hope for a modified version?
    Well, I was tickeled pink about it.
    But then, I had Hunt for Red October when it was published by Naval Institute, which is one of the first couple printings before it was bought up by another publisher.
    Unfortunately, it seems to have been lost in one of my moves, so now it's gone.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I agree books can cover better, and you can't fit it all into a movie.
    Yet, there are some movies that do a good job.
    I think the ones that throw out the material and start with just the names, are just Hollywood's ego screwing things up.
    That is one nice thing about the online services doing their short seasons. 8-10 hours is much better for telling the story.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    A Red Storm Rising period miniseries by HBO is still the top of my media wish list.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    On Netflix: My Next Guest Needs No Introduction. This latest installment has David Letterman interviewing Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy from a subway platform in Kiev. Love one or both or hate one or both, I found it fascinating.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Watching Top Gun 2 on Paramount+ this evening. Cranking up the surround sound for this one
    Paramount+ doesn't broadcast in 5.1, which is a deal breaker for me when the free trial ends. Maybe that's only true for the subscription with commercials.

Top Bottom