• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Wow...that's awesome. This is very inspiring to those of us who need to lose some weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BBI, if you think it is plantar fasciitis that is bothering you, I got relief from achilles tendon stretches. The achilles tendon when tight can be the culprit pulling on the rear attach point of the plantar band. The stretch I found easiest to do anytime I was aching (I did a lot of walking on concrete) was to find something like a parking block or curb with something nearby you could steady yourself on. You put just the balls of your feet on the curb with your foot level and your heels hanging over air. Then you dip at the heels keeping your legs straight and hold the stretch for a few tens of seconds, relax and repeat. Took me about 6 months to get rid of mine without changing my work habits, with you no longer carrying that ALICE pack of excess avoiddupois you will be one up on me

View attachment 84830

That's essentially what the brace does, keep you in a slight stretch all night. I suspect I developed it from walking in the mall when the weather got bad. It was only my right foot. My wife developed the same issue at the same time. We both walked a lot more at Eagle Creek with no issues at all. So probably walking on a hard flat surface and always turning in the same direction was the culprit. I can't think of any other reason both of us would have the issue, both in the same foot, and neither with a prior history. I thought I'd just stone bruised my heel on the trail but it got worse and worse. Mine is pretty much gone now and my wife is using the brace.

That's great BBI. I might not recognize you with out the hat....:):

When I get back in town we'll have to meet up for a burger. I'd planned to get with you awhile back but things just spiraled into a busy, busy time.

Wow...that's awesome. This is very inspiring to those of us who need to lose some weight.

I wish I'd done it years ago. I've spent most of the last 15 years at 223-240, still too fat but not nearly as bad as I blimped up after hurting my neck. It's so much easier to do pretty much everything, not least of which is finding clothes that fit. My knee, the one the VA said would need replaced when I hit 40, doesn't bother me at all now. My blood work was good at 245, I'm sure it's even better now but will do my annual in June or so to verify.

I don't know exactly what my end goal is, but definitely under 200. Maybe 190 +/- 5. Just have to see how I feel and look when I get there.

Last edited:

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Thank you BBI. Doctor and I tried to get me off gout meds. Messed up and stopped walking the hood every day beginning in December. Then got sick each of the last 3 months. Well not sick now and the gout meds are working again. Time to use your greens trick and start my journey. I like greens more than icecream.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    BBI were tight and everything but bro I just cannot imagine hanging out with you after you have consumed 2lbs of cabbage ?
    I guess I am having flashbacks of Korea and running behind a Korean for 4 miles after he had cabbage and garlic.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BBI were tight and everything but bro I just cannot imagine hanging out with you after you have consumed 2lbs of cabbage ?
    I guess I am having flashbacks of Korea and running behind a Korean for 4 miles after he had cabbage and garlic.

Completely understandable. As stated, it's not without risk. I rattled the doors on a dressing room yesterday and it was all I could do not to yell to the attendant "how do you flush???!!!!"

Any changes in your shooting?

I've degraded a bit, honestly. I've not been putting in the same amount of time or work both due to personal issues and our range being closed quite a bit. It's showing in my drills so it's time to get back on that horse as well.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    My goal was 210-215 on March 15, the Bataan Memorial Death March. Having a set goal has helped as well.

That Death march is no joke. You really need to be in good shape for that one. I grew up just off the route and have friends that have done it many times. 26.2 miles of trekking through the desert sand and over the mountain. I definitely give you major props for that one. The ones that amaze me the most are the guys that do it in fatigues with full ruck sacks. This article is about a guy I have known my entire life
    https://www.dia.mil/News/Articles/A...dia-takes-on-the-bataan-memorial-death-march/

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Congratulations!

If greens ain't your thing...lots of H2O will help. It also will keep toxins from accumulating while losing them pounds. Keep it up and your heart will thank you!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That Death march is no joke. You really need to be in good shape for that one. I grew up just off the route and have friends that have done it many times. 26.2 miles of trekking through the desert sand and over the mountain. I definitely give you major props for that one. The ones that amaze me the most are the guys that do it in fatigues with full ruck sacks. This article is about a guy I have known my entire life
    https://www.dia.mil/News/Articles/A...dia-takes-on-the-bataan-memorial-death-march/

Yeah, I'm just doing Civilian - Light. Just humping some water, boo-boo gear, and a bit of food. I'm basically just taking a long walk in the desert. :)

flylo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2017
    decatur
    Several years ago I was is such bad shape I couldn't ride a bike 1/4 mile without stopping. I lost 91# in 90 days just riding the bike & got hooked on the feel good hormones your body gives off. That yeat I rode 4500 miles & could ride 100 any day of the week & averages 17.3 mph for the whole 4500 on a mountain bike. Saved my life I'm sure.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Well, I guess I'm just going out to hike on my own now. They just cancelled the march due to the Kung Flu....

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It is. I've got a brace to wear at night that's done amazing things, though.
    -snip-

Speaking of plantar fasciitis, it can be a symptom of hypothyroidism.

Some years back I had plantar fasciitis, had blood tests and found my thyroid was beginning to fail.

Saw an Endocrinologist, he put me on T4 thyroid hormone and it went away in 2-3 weeks and have never had it again in almost 20 years.
    I know another guy who's feet were killing him and he found the same thing.

Just make sure if they test you that your TSH is no more than 1-2 (no matter what the test may say is a "normal" range).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I was 280 in March of 20. I set a goal of 220 by October 1st. All I did was quite eating like a moron, and walking with my ruck on. I made my goal, but hunting season is hard for me to keep weight off, so I weighed in last night at 230. Shed hunting season kicks of walking season for me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was 280 in March of 20. I set a goal of 220 by October 1st. All I did was quite eating like a moron, and walking with my ruck on. I made my goal, but hunting season is hard for me to keep weight off, so I weighed in last night at 230. Shed hunting season kicks of walking season for me.

Yeah, I'm not doing anything special. Don't eat like an a-hole, maintain a calorie deficit, and increased activity. I eat very little sugar. Mostly foods that are recognizable and "whole". Oats, beans, sweet potatoes, greens, beef, chicken, and various fruits make up the majority of my calories. I shoot for 16k steps a day. My wife and I walk 4-5 miles in the morning then I jog 3-4 on most days. I'm kicking around training for a half marathon after spring break, or maybe 1/4 marathon trail run. Haven't decided yet but I do better when I have concrete goals.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Excellent results!

I was 209 in the Army (which was pretty thin for a Guardsman ;)) I was as high as about 288. I lost a bunch of weight 15 years ago and gained some back and was at 245 for several years. Since August, I have been working on it. 199 this morning. Less muscle than when I was 24 (turned 50 2 weeks ago).

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Fantastic! great job BBI, you are an inspiration, Man I need serious help, I just went to the doctor, and I weighed 331lbs, I am on my feet every day for 8-10 hours, but I guess it's not enough... I get home, and my feet, back, and body hurts so much all I want to do is sit and watch TV...About 10 years ago my wife and I both lost 60 lbs, by swimming, and walking, and calorie counting...My will power left town.... I've been trying to walk more, so I'll try to update people, if anyone cares.

Top Bottom