Not open for further replies.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    This happens so much in our society that it has become normal thinking. Throughout this thread our opinions always go to “it’s the gun grabbing left” to blame.

And while they are certainly not supporting our gun issues, they can’t be blamed for corruption on our side.

For instance, Republicans continue to sell us out for money and /or their own agenda. WLP is not unlike many of silk suits who have made a fantastic life for themselves and themselves only on the premise they are for the American Gun Owner.

Get it? They played us. And we sang the tune. Whether it be the gutting of our ammo and gun companies ( think Remington and others) these right wing capitalists let it erode on their watch.

And when these gluttons, in the name of 2A, enjoy a lifestyle beyond our comprehension, we focus on the easiest target of politics.

So we can play chin music all we want but money is the root of corruption no matter what party is in charge.

Perception is reality.

Unfortunately, I feel it is too late for our country to wake up.

How Ironic that WLP spent miles of column telling us how Rotten Nancy Pelosi is. “I know you are, but what am I?”

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    This happens so much in our society that it has become normal thinking. Throughout this thread our opinions always go to “it’s the gun grabbing left” to blame.

And while they are certainly not supporting our gun issues, they can’t be blamed for corruption on our side.

For instance, Republicans continue to sell us out for money and /or their own agenda. WLP is not unlike many of silk suits who have made a fantastic life for themselves and themselves only on the premise they are for the American Gun Owner.

Get it? They played us. And we sang the tune. Whether it be the gutting of our ammo and gun companies ( think Remington and others) these right wing capitalists let it erode on their watch.

And when these gluttons, in the name of 2A, enjoy a lifestyle beyond our comprehension, we focus on the easiest target of politics.

So we can play chin music all we want but money is the root of corruption no matter what party is in charge.

Perception is reality.

How Ironic that WLP spent miles of column telling us how Rotten Nancy Pelosi is. “I know you are, but what am I?”
    Great post Jim.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Interesting article regarding voting process ......( from 2013 ) not sure what has/hasn`t changed from then . and from MSNBC .

A clip from the article : But few NRA members—less than 7%—even take the time to vote. “I don’t bother anymore,” posted an NRA member in California, under the screen name HunterJim, “the insiders have set this system up so no outsider is going to be elected.”

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Perception is reality.

The human condition is evil in the heart, it is work to be above reproach and though we try, all humans have failings.

It is ridiculous to think a $400 million dollar organization will not have some corruption. There is corruption and infighting in local gun clubs, why would there not be at the highest levels also?

Everything folks think they know about so called NRA corruption is the product of leaks from the internal power struggles or external power struggles. There are no white knights in this.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Perception is reality.

Yep. "Our" side knows as long as they can say the things we like to hear, publish articles that support our positions, they really don't have to get anything done. They really don't have to stand for what matters, at the time it matters and in the way that it matters. Oh they'll do token things just to show a record of achievement. But the NRA is it's own worst enemy. And I'm not a basher. I'm a life member. I want it to be a strong force in the 2A world.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    A question for NRA voting members only. Now that WLP is out, how do we rebuild the NRA to its former self?
    All Board candidates profess they want to focus on protecting the 2A. That should be the "minimum" requirement. If the only "ask" of the candidate is, "Are you a true believer and fighter," that's a pretty low bar. That's how we got WLP.

We need ones who will protect the
    2A in an ethical and fiscally-responsible manner. Problem is, it's a tricky endeavor to get an idea of where someone's quest for megalomaniacal financial self-aggrandizement sits in their personal hierarchy of values, relative to protecting the 2A. You have to assume the worst.

Transparency is the only check on this.

We need a litmus-test for new Board candidates:

1) What specifically do you think was wrong with the WLP years? Elaborate.

2) Should the Bylaws continue to permit the enthronement of "dictators for life" who can only be effectively removed by adverse court action?

3) If your answers to 1) and 2) assent that WLP was a bad occurrence which should not be allowed to be repeated, what "special" corrective measures should be implemented to prevent it? For example: should hired Top Executives who are not accountable by election to the membership, have their compensation details made visible to the membership?

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There needs to be a place in the NRA website that airs voting members' grievances. Florida has sunshine laws to help in transparency of government. The NRA needs something similar. I agree that the system at the top of the NRA is a behemoth that needs taming. Still there is the one question: Where to begin?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    A question for NRA voting members only. Now that WLP is out, how do we rebuild the NRA to its former self?
    Find a way to replace most of the board and or shrink it to a manageable size. Fundamentally the Cincinnati reforms have been subverted to support board and management cronyism.

I have bullet voted for Adam Kraut and others during every election I was eligible to no avail.

Finally for a non-profit there needs to be hard and fast and very public audits performed and a term limit upon the EVP position. The NRA is not supposed to be about a personality cult. It is supposed to be about protection of a civil right protected by the Constitution of the United States of America, and furthering the practical application of that right through instruction in safety and marksmanship.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    There needs to be a place in the NRA website that airs voting members' grievances. Florida has sunshine laws to help in transparency of government. The NRA needs something similar. I agree that the system at the top of the NRA is a behemoth that needs taming. Still there is the one question: Where to begin?
    With having lots of job interviews. And maybe move NRA's National Headquarters to a gun friendlier State, say West Virginia.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Find a way to replace most of the board and or shrink it to a manageable size. Fundamentally the Cincinnati reforms have been subverted to support board and management cronyism.

I have bullet voted for Adam Kraut and others during every election I was eligible to no avail.

Finally for a non-profit there needs to be hard and fast and very public audits performed and a term limit upon the EVP position. The NRA is not supposed to be about a personality cult. It is supposed to be about protection of a civil right protected by the Constitution of the United States of America, and furthering the practical application of that right through instruction in safety and marksmanship.
    It would be good for someone with the skills and talent to start an NRA members only forum. It would be a lot of work to keep the NRA hating groups out, though. It would be terrific if the NRA board members joined and listened to concerns and suggestions. Of course there are "moles" who belong to the NRA only to try to destroy it and there are legitimate NRA members who think that having "a shotgun and .22 rifle" are the only legitimate firearms to own

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    There was talk about moving it out of NY to Texas. I don't know how that ended up.
    The NRA national headquarters was on 16th st in DC until 1993 or so, and it built a new building in Fairfax, Northern Va.
    They were talking about moving to Texas a few years ago, it never came to fruition.
    They have been having lots of problems with the building falling apart.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom