• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    We watched American Sniper at theater for 5.49 a ticket at AMC in Marion…..with that said, I know someone who knows someone…..that bought something I think that was on ebay or somewhere for 50.00 and has already downloaded American Sniper, also has free access to all the pay per view UFC fights…..just can't remember what it was called.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    So...theft?

Well kinda. I think it would be buying pirated movies so maybe receiving stolen goods......but what if you just watched someone else's bootleg copy?

OP. Are there any drive-ins near you? There are a few here and there nowdays as a nostalgia kick or something. They sometimes have inflatable screens....

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    it can be found online...if that sort of thing doesn't bother you.

The movie and book are both available online for free. Google is your friend. An Android phone can get you almost anything you want to watch, then drop $30 on Chromecast and you're set.

If you're motivated and look in the right places, you can find just about any movie you want for free on the internet. I do not condone these actions, nor do I participate. But the option is there. Just sayin'...

I wonder if it's available online anywhere ? :rolleyes:

By the beard of Zeus

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Yet it is still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment. Especially when you take into the fact you are watching a multi million dollar production. In a building that cost's multiple millions.
    No one forces you to stop at the snack bar.
    And people have no problem paying much more to watch a bunch of over paid felons running around a field, with a bunch of drunks in attendance.
    A good day at the range could be $60-$70 just for the ammo for one person.
    A good meal at a restaurant for 5 would be in the $75.00 range and not last 2hrs like a movie.
    Movie ticket prices have not kept up with the price increase's in most other forms of entertainment.

Do you own a theater?

Part of my issue is that movies now cost so much to make. A lot of that is because actors think they should be paid 20 million dollars for 90 days work. Half of the films rely so much on CGI that they have no real plot.

I also don't attend pro sporting events for the same reasons that you stated. I enjoy them on TV much more.

It's not so much the cost of the ticket I object to as the refreshments. True no one says I have to buy, and I usually don't, but $15 - $20 for a popcorn and two drinks is ridiculous. I'm not sure if it is quite as much mark up as printer ink, but it has to be close. I would rather rent a movie, pop some Butter Lovers popcorn, grab a 2 liter, and watch it in my media room, but that may just be me.

Cost is relative. Some people think a $20 meal is expensive and some think it's cheap but I will bet that even the ones who think a $20 meal is cheap think the cost of soda and popcorn at the theater is expensive.

I always kind of judge inflation by what I paid making minimum wage back in the late 70s to what I could get for minimum wage now. Back then I think MW was about $3.50 and so was a movie ticket. Now MW is $7.75? and a ticket is $11. I don't even remember thinking twice about the cost of popcorn and soda back then.

I make a heck of a lot more than MW now but somehow movies still seem expensive to me.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Wait for PPV if you don't want to hit a theater.

If you want to find online for free, you may wish to check out Gander Mountain for ammo too. I hear they don't have employees watching the ammo aisle all the time and you can probably sneak out with a few boxes if you do it during a busy time.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Wait for PPV if you don't want to hit a theater.

If you want to find online for free, you may wish to check out Gander Mountain for ammo too. I hear they don't have employees watching the ammo aisle all the time and you can probably sneak out with a few boxes if you do it during a busy time.

This guy gets it.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Let me be clear, downloading a pirated movie is theft.

Having said that the movie industry is going to have to wake up and smell the coffee. I was around when Napster first started and yes, I downloaded free music. However I repeatedly said that I would be more than willing to pay a buck a song. I was just tired of having to buy a $16 CD just to get the one or two songs I wanted. It took a while and the music industry swore it was going to ruin the business, but has anyone bought a physical CD lately?

Digital downloads, or better yet steaming, of movies are the wave of the future. The trick will be to keep them from being easily shared. This is where steaming is the answer in my mind. Pay a fee of maybe $10 and have it expire in 24-48 hours.

It will cut earnings on movies but I for one will not feel bad if these stars only get 2 or 3 million per movie instead of 20-30.

A lot of people like the experience of going to a movie in a theater but it is absurd that you practically have to fill out a loan application to take you family to the movies now. When all my kids were at home, we had five people. $11 per ticket =$55 plus another $40 - $50 at the snack bar and your dropping a C note on a movie.

Yes, I still buy CD. The sound is way better than those compressed ****.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Full Definition of THEFT

a : the act of stealing; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it
    b : an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property

I don't think that the duplication of imaginary property qualifies as "theft" in any sense of the word.

Even if you believe that publicly released ideas qualify as "property", the original owner is not deprived of that property when it is duplicated.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Is Primewire.unblocked legal or not?

You all do know laws are like records.....they are made to be broken.

Think of how many of us buy stuff on line because they don't collect taxes....but by LAW we are suppose to report that on our state tax returns. How many of us really keep track of that stuff? It is nearly impossible to keep track of who collected taxes and who didnt....prime example of a law that is made to be broken.....just sayin

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Full Definition of THEFT

a : the act of stealing; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it
    b : an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property

I don't think that the duplication of imaginary property qualifies as "theft" in any sense of the word.

Even if you believe that publicly released ideas qualify as "property", the original owner is not deprived of that property when it is duplicated.

Call it whatever you want, but it's stealing by the common definition of the word. I'm not interested in arguing for arguing's sake. Everyone knew exactly what I meant and I'm not interested in justification as to why it's not morally wrong, because it is.

Are you saying duplicating copy written material without renumeration or consent is lawful, or just playing a word game?

He's playing some sort of game.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Call it whatever you want, but it's stealing by the common definition of the word. I'm not interested in arguing for arguing's sake. Everyone knew exactly what I meant and I'm not interested in justification as to why it's not morally wrong, because it is.

No, the common definition of the word involves taking property from someone and thereby depriving them of it.

Nobody is deprived of their property when you duplicate something that they have already released.

You could simply call it copyright infringement, but that wouldn't be as inflammatory as you'd like.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Is Primewire.unblocked legal or not?

Doubtful.

You all do know laws are like records.....they are made to be broken.

Duly noted.

Think of how many of us buy stuff on line because they don't collect taxes....but by LAW we are suppose to report that on our state tax returns. How many of us really keep track of that stuff? It is nearly impossible to keep track of who collected taxes and who didnt....prime example of a law that is made to be broken.....just sayin

That does not make it any less illegal, and it doesn't make pirating movies any less illegal either.

I don't really care what other people do, not my problem I guess, but no one seemed to realize, care, or at least mention that many of the suggestions here are of illegal activity.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    No, the common definition of the word involves taking property from someone and thereby depriving them of it.

Nobody is deprived of their property when you duplicate something that they have already released.

You could simply call it copyright infringement, but that wouldn't be as inflammatory as you'd like.

lol k

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    mbills.....thanks for response, I didn't figure it was legal. Guess I will just wait for it to come out on dvd or tv.

I agree it don't matter illegal is illegal. But I was just pointing out that many of us break laws all the time, like jaywalking, not keeping proper track of sales taxes owed from internet purchases, watching a copyrighted movie, throwing a cig butt out window, taking a medication and driving, eating too much bacon, whatever it may be.....I just don't see watching a movie illegally, that has made $200,000,000 in a week as being the crime of the year. A little common sense tells me that's gonna cost someone a lot more than it's worth. What they gonna do....make you pay $15 restitution to make them "whole"? Seems kind of like nonsense to be honest. Now it would be another thing if someone were taking it and selling it for profit as a business.

Regardless.....I will just wait until it comes to a home near me. I thought maybe there was a way to pay to watch it, legally.....but I don't want to see it bad enough to get VD on my PC :)

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Something I am wondering......why don't movie theaters offer a way to buy the movie for viewing on computer monitor? Like in my case...I would gladly pay them admission price to be able to watch on my computer.

Is it because they think people would put on big screens and have movie viewing parties? Is it because they can't sell you $6 popcorn and $5 Cokes? I would think it would generate more income for them...because people who go to movies will go regardless...but they would pick up the people like me that don't do movies indoors.

Top Bottom