know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Watch?

841e8c78-31b5-4d61-b8c0-88d9e0b62d65_zps21e1c8bb.jpg

Snapdragon, my iPhone says you're 10 minutes slow.

Two years and ten minutes, based on when that picture was taken. :laugh: I snapped that pic the day I got it for my birthday.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I really want a Suunto watch but every time i go to pull the trigger I think about the 20 other watches sitting in a case that I don't wear cause I have a cell phone that does all the watches do and more.

I figure it is like when I had to explain to my 8 year old what a VCR was....he had never seen one....time marches on

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I stopped wearing a watch as the job I had made that dangerous. I carried a pocket watch instead. I haven't needed a watch for years now though. If I started carrying one again I think it would be these.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I really want a Suunto watch but every time i go to pull the trigger I think about the 20 other watches sitting in a case that I don't wear cause I have a cell phone that does all the watches do and more.

I figure it is like when I had to explain to my 8 year old what a VCR was....he had never seen one....time marches on

To see technologies born is awesome in itself. To see them born and die is absolutely amazing. Think about it; when has a technology lasted less than a human generation? Sons wanted to buy movies at Goodwill, but I refused because they were on VHS. VHS that didn't exist when I was born. It's dead. Bury it. I'll still wear the watch, though, because it has functions I need at the touch of a button, not buried in nested menus. Sometimes it's better to just have a volume knob to twist rather than a mouse to click on a bargraph. I've always been a bleeding-edge techie, but in my old age I've developed an appreciation for the things that work, and sometimes the new things don't work better than the old..

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    The one reason I don't wear a watch anymore is because the damn faces of them are so huge now.
    I'm trying to get the time not use it as a shield against the Persian army.
    The cheap smaller ones keep breaking, the expensive ones are stupid huge, my celly works just fine.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Are watches going the way of buggy whips?

I was in a meeting the other day and noticed that < 25% of the people were wearing watches. (Yes, it was that kind of meeting)

Are people relying on their phones and computers to tell time?
    Are they just not interested in knowing the time?
    Was this group not representative of the general populace?

I wear a watch every day and it just feels odd not to wear one.

I started noticing this a few years ago when we had students at our rescue seminars who had no way of telling time. EMT students in my classes who couldn't take vitals because they had no watch.

I started paying attention and as of now, fewer than 1 in 10 college students wear a watch and even moving the demographics up to 50+, only about a third of folks do.

I have pretty much continuously worn a watch since I was 13.

We started requiring them for our rescue classes. I bought a dozen cheapies to keep in the rescue cache to give to people during an operation.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I usually wear a watch except on the weekends/vacations. I know a number of people that will pull their cell-phones out to check the time but I find all those extra motions frustrating compared to a flip of the wrist.

When I'm not at work, I normally don't care what time it is.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    i quit wearing my last watch after the battery died. i keep forgetting to get a new battery, it's been over a year now.
    Buy a self winding watch?

Or buy a watch that you wind?

I...I know a number of people that will pull their cell-phones out to check the time but I find all those extra motions frustrating compared to a flip of the wrist.

Ditto

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Its been a long time since I've worn a watch but its not because I don't want to. Even though its been a while I still find myself looking at my wrist. My problem is that I now have "old people" eyes. I can't read anything within 3 feet of my face without reading glasses. My phone has large enough numbers for me to see the time and date without glasses and I don't want to have to get my glasses every time I want to check the time. The only other option is to get a watch that is just huge and I can't stand that. I can find plenty of nice watches that will let me read the time but not the date and that is an important feature for me. I'm sure there are some out there. I'll find one eventually. In the meantime I'll just keep using my phone.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I worked for Coca-Cola years ago, and having a watch on while messing around in vending equipment was a pain. It didn't take me long to ditch it, and to be honest, I've not really missed it.

On a side note, when I was a kid, I often stayed with my Grandmother. She had an old man for a neighbor that always carried a pocket watch on a chain. I always loved to ask him what time it was. I was mesmerized when he pulled that watch out of his front pocket and flipped it open. Classy.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I wore a watch for years through high school & college, quit when I got a desk job (felt like the wrist band bothered me while typing, etc.), and started again about a year or so ago. Wore Fossils mostly until recently when I picked up one of these - Reactor 53501 Gamma SS 2-tone Black About the only time I take it off now is at night and when I shoot 3 gun. Still take my phone out every now and then to check the time. :facepalm:

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    They have the NICEST bands.
    One of the reasons I went with that watch, though I've got a steel band. My last Fossil got caught on a door while I was helping someone move, and the pin holding the band to the watch just blew up. That ain't gonna happen with this one. I've beaten it up pretty good and it doesn't look any worse for the wear.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I guess I'm just weird.

I wear a watch every day, but I found I have almost no use for a cell phone. I recently had one for 5 months and only made two call the entire time. So, I got rid of it.

JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    I usually wear a watch except on the weekends/vacations. I know a number of people that will pull their cell-phones out to check the time but I find all those extra motions frustrating compared to a flip of the wrist.

When I'm not at work, I normally don't care what time it is.

:+1: Wore the same watch since 1999 and wouldn't have it any other way. Plus it's a manual watch to boot.

Top Bottom