• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Are watches going the way of buggy whips?

I was in a meeting the other day and noticed that < 25% of the people were wearing watches. (Yes, it was that kind of meeting)

Are people relying on their phones and computers to tell time?
    Are they just not interested in knowing the time?
    Was this group not representative of the general populace?

I wear a watch every day and it just feels odd not to wear one.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I don't remember the last time I wore a watch. It started as a generation thing with people my age (I'm 27) using their phones as time keeping devices, but I have noticed it has since carried over to others as well.

Say goodbye to your Buggy Whip old timer. :fogey:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I wear one every day and don't take it off. I got a watch for my 50th birthday two years ago, and the only time I've had it off is to have the battery changed.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't wear one routinely, although I will wear one as 'jewelry' when I want to. The same as I don't have a dedicated clock in my house. I have too many other devices that can tell me the time, so I don't need one.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

The rare times I don't wear a watch I still look at my wrist to see what time it is. I regularly wear an analog watch with a second hand.

I was in a meeting the other day and noticed that < 25% of the people were wearing watches. (Yes, it was that kind of meeting)

How many people in the meeting had buggy whips? Or wasn't it that kind of meeting.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I quit wearing one when I started driving a truck. The clock was there in front of my all the time. And since I wore it on my left wrist, the drivers tan looked bad with the watch tan line. I had carried a cell phone with me at all times for about 6 years prior to ditching the watch.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I was always a no watch guy. I never really needed one growing up. My early professional career was spent in TV and radio newsrooms which have digital clocks everywhere (down to the second).

Now that I'm getting older and have a good corporate job I wear a watch everyday. I'm old-school in that I feel men should have a decent watch.

I bought a Citizen Eco Drive that is amazing. It charges with light, so I never have to change the battery. It is also connected by radio signal to the Atomic clock, so I never have to set it. It also automatically sets itself to the local timezones when I travel.

Real men wear watches, carry booze in a flask and put revolvers in shoulder holsters.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    NEVER!!!

attachment.php

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I wear a watch when I drive the bus. We aren't allowed to touch our cell phones while the bus is in drive/parking brake released.
    Not all of the buses have radios/clocks, some don't work, some are set wrong... Much easier to wear a watch to make sure I am on time.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I used to always wear a wrist watch. I welded and wore long sleeve button up shirts and gauntlet style welding gloves. The combination of the 2 and working caused a lot of broken bands or made the watch dig into my wrist. I finally bought a caribeener type and hook it to my belt loop. Been doing it that way for years.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have the ultimate bus driver watch even though I don't drive anymore. G-shock, atomic (WWVB), lots of alarms, memories, etc, used almost all of it. My watch can go in the hot tub with me, the cell phone can't. I'm one of those ape-descended life forms that are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Are watches going the way of buggy whips?

Are people relying on their phones and computers to tell time?
    Are they just not interested in knowing the time?
    Was this group not representative of the general populace?

I see a resurgence in the expensive premium watches. The stuff that is hand made and complicated. Not the $500 or $1000 watches, but the $5000 to $50,000 watches is what I see expanding. Generally speaking the $29 to $1000 watches are worth less than half their retail when you walk out of the store.

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    I would love to own an Maurice Lacroix. Beautiful watches. I currently wear one of two Citizen Eco Drives. Very comfortable bracelets, and no battery to replace. I think it is more of a fashion thing, although, if my cell phone dies, I can still tell time. I also think watches can be works of art, like fine 1911.

Top Bottom