• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Is there a law that says you have to get over if three or more vehicles are slowed because of you? Or just a rumor?

I always thought that too but when I did some research I couldn't find any such law. Like most things though, laws/rules are written for people too stupid to think for themselves. If you have stacked up three or more vehicles behind you it would be polite manners to find a way to let them pass you.

i always thought cyclists wore padddd shorts and helmets to make riding safer.

I line my helmet with tin foil so the government can't read my thoughts.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Depending on the road and area, there are times when the shoulder is too dangerous to ride on. You have holes, loose gravel, the road is falling apart.

But I do my riding on the back and county roads. I don’t ride in the city. And when I ride, I’m always over as far as I safely can. Never in the middle of the lane.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've seen bicyclists being sphincters, yes. Just not in the particular way chez described.

The ones I notice are on sidewalks being dangerous to pedestrians.

And again, I don't ride a bicycle.

I don't often drive in the country, but I often walk in the city, so this is more of a issue.

The city spent $$$ putting in bike lanes, but many, if not most, riders still make the safer (for them only) choice of riding on sidewalks.

At this point, I now refuse to alter my path one iota for a bike.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not sure how this is germane.

I think everyone has had fun wit this but at the end we all need to act in a way that preserves our life. Bicycles put themselves at a higher risk

Motorcyclist put themselves at higher risk, yet I've never seen any vitriol directed to them on INGO.

Obviously, their risk isn't the issue; them inconveniencing you is the issue.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Motorcyclist put themselves at higher risk, yet I've never seen any vitriol directed to them on INGO.

Obviously, their risk isn't the issue; them inconveniencing you is the issue.

I don't care about the risk others place on themselves, other than when it puts liability on ME through no negligence on my part. I rode a MC for many years. I never held up traffic, never caused people to have to pass me, etc (because I didn't ride a Harley, LOL). However, when on the MC I almost met my end a couple of times because of bicycles... come around a blind corner and suddenly I'm closing on an obstacle in my lane... Mainly rode when I lived out east, lots of twisty/hilly roads.

The inconvenience is only a tiny part of the issue of going significantly under the speed limit . The speed difference often causes the driver to have to make snap decisions, especially when you come up on a slow vehicle (bike, car, buggy, tractor, ... Harley LOL) around a corner, over a hill, or when the vehicle in front of you snaps around and you see the obstacle at the last second. The longer I hang out behind you the longer I become the obstacle for the next car who is closing on me at a high rate of speed.

A couple of times I almost got hit from the rear when the car behind me either didn't know I was waiting to pass a bike or they just thought they'd pass us both and they started to go around at the same time I did. I've also had that happen with tractors and buggies. Forcing me to go significantly under the speed limit can create an unsafe condition for ME, too.

-rvb

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't care about the risk others place on themselves, other than when it puts liability on ME through no negligence on my part. I rode a MC for many years. I never held up traffic, never caused people to have to pass me, etc (because I didn't ride a Harley, LOL). However, when on the MC I almost met my end a couple of times because of bicycles... come around a blind corner and suddenly I'm closing on an obstacle in my lane... Mainly rode when I lived out east, lots of twisty/hilly roads.

The inconvenience is only a tiny part of the issue of going significantly under the speed limit . The speed difference often causes the driver to have to make snap decisions, especially when you come up on a slow vehicle (bike, car, buggy, tractor, ... Harley LOL) around a corner, over a hill, or when the vehicle in front of you snaps around and you see the obstacle at the last second. The longer I hang out behind you the longer I become the obstacle for the next car who is closing on me at a high rate of speed.

A couple of times I almost got hit from the rear when the car behind me either didn't know I was waiting to pass a bike or they just thought they'd pass us both and they started to go around at the same time I did. I've also had that happen with tractors and buggies. Forcing me to go significantly under the speed limit can create an unsafe condition for ME, too.

-rvb

All good reasons I'm glad we have plenty of bike trails in FtW - no need for me to be on any high speed roads.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't often drive in the country, but I often walk in the city, so this is more of a issue.

The city spent $$$ putting in bike lanes, but many, if not most, riders still make the safer (for them only) choice of riding on sidewalks.

Don't know about Ft. Wayne, but in Indy, "putting in bike lanes" consisted of painting a line on the side of the existing traffic lane. Didn't widen the road, but in effect made the "vehicle lane" narrower. Oh, and they put "sharrows" (really - they made up a new word for them) in some of them, allegedly to alert you that bicycles would be in your lane too. If they had actually made new lanes for the bicycles, that would have made more sense from a safety standpoint if not from a fiscal standpoint. That painted line isn't going to protect you from a vehicle.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Is there a law that says you have to get over if three or more vehicles are slowed because of you? Or just a rumor?

i always thought cyclists wore padddd shorts and helmets to make riding safer. Now I realize it’s to protect them from the anger of car drivers :ingo:

There has always been in the law for all vehicles to allow other vehicles to pass, bicycles included, when safe to do so. There are only two people that get to make that determination, the lead vehicle, or the judge should they be cited for failing to allow passing. A cyclist going up a hill will often be in the center of the lane to hold back the following vehicles for safety as neither the passing vehicles nor the cyclist know if it is clear over the top. Only the cyclists get to make this decision, not the passing vehicle. The cyclist should give you room when they deem it safe.

It it is dangerous for the cyclists to hug the edge as two bad things can happen, one a vehicle will try to pass in the one lane squeezing the cyclists off the road or, two they will attempt to pass, an oncoming vehicle will appear and to avoid the head on collision will cut over on the cyclists, both bad outcomes that a good cyclist will control. I'm sure that is something that irritates many of you, but I hope understanding what they are doing will help.

This applies to "is the shoulder, practicable" a term used to say is the shoulder capable of being put in practice, is it riddled with broken glass, gravel, or grass clippings the would be unsafe to ride on? The cyclist alone gets to determine if it is not some other driver. If it is not then they can use the lane

If you meant does the cyclist have to stop their bike and get off the road so 3 or more cars can pass, the answer is no. But yes, a cyclist should give you room to pass when the road for them is practicable as they continue.

MM

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Don't know about Ft. Wayne, but in Indy, "putting in bike lanes" consisted of painting a line on the side of the existing traffic lane. Didn't widen the road, but in effect made the "vehicle lane" narrower. Oh, and they put "sharrows" (really - they made up a new word for them) in some of them, allegedly to alert you that bicycles would be in your lane too. If they had actually made new lanes for the bicycles, that would have made more sense from a safety standpoint if not from a fiscal standpoint. That painted line isn't going to protect you from a vehicle.

Sadly DD, I suspect the lanes you describe are more about getting federal dollars and Amazon Hq bids and less about bike lanes and safety.

In most cities it is illegal to ride on sidewalks. However, in most north suburbs many are defined as multiuse paths, so that adds confusion.

There is no requirement that a cyclist use a side path, they can, but are not required. They are allowed to use the lane if they wish. Hopefully common sense will dictate which they use.

MM

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    All good reasons I'm glad we have plenty of bike trails in FtW - no need for me to be on any high speed roads.

I've never lived anyplace that didn't have a safe place to ride bikes relatively close. State Parks, City Parks, trails, etc.
    I use the trails in Ft Wayne, also... for the bikes, walking the doggie, etc.

-rvb

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sadly DD, I suspect the lanes you describe are more about getting federal dollars and Amazon Hq bids and less about bike lanes and safety.

In most cities it is illegal to ride on sidewalks. However, in most north suburbs many are defined as multiuse paths, so that adds confusion.

There is no requirement that a cyclist use a side path, they can, but are not required. They are allowed to use the lane if they wish. Hopefully common sense will dictate which they use.

MM

No need to suspect. That's exactly what it was. "We'll paint these lines on the side of the road to show how enlightened we are to provide "safe" bike lanes for our more environmentally conscious commuters."

drbob93

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    South Central Indiana
    I don't like it, but I either, but think we are powerless and here is why.

I'm not fond of bicyclists not following Indiana driving laws. By not doing so, they are a hazard to all.

IC 9-13-2-196"Vehicle"
    Sec. 196. (a) "Vehicle" means, except as otherwise provided in this section, a device in, upon, or by which a person or property is, or may be, transported or drawn upon a highway. The term does not include the following:

(1) A device moved by human power.

(2) A device that runs only on rails or tracks.
    (3) A wheelchair.
    (b) For purposes of IC 9-17, the term includes the following:

(1) Off-road vehicles.
    (2) Manufactured homes or mobile homes that are:
    (A) personal property not held for resale; and
    (B) not attached to real estate by a permanent foundation.

:xmad: I am tired of 20-somethings riding in gangs 2-4 abreast here in Johnson County on 2 lane state roads and county roads, who simply turn around simultaneously and give me the finger, and slow down even more. Maybe we
    should write our state reps who specifically excluded them from any rules of the road. This also includes middle-age guys riding their Vespa's or mopeds who should be following the common sense laws of the road and common courtesy. I became even more grouchy when I searched the state code for bicycles and came up with a blank. The marauding hordes will appear soon. Is it legitimate to ask a sheriff discus bicycle safety with them this spring?
    I saw what you mean by the conduct on the bicycle lanes in Indy -- idiots trying to pass a bus turning right on the right at an intersection running red lights, and weaving all over the place. I don't like more laws, but I also hate our
    litigious tort laws which continue to reward folks who lack common sense or are out for a free ride. There should be some laws for bicyclists to protect people in motor vehicles. I haven't seen a bicyclist give a hand signal when
    slowing, stopping, or making a turn since the 1960's. I've seen enough broken and squished bodies in my lifetime. Whether it is bicycles or elephant guns, people need to be responsible for their own behavior and stop playing the victim.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    IC 9-13-2-196"Vehicle"
    Sec. 196. (a) "Vehicle" means, except as otherwise provided in this section, a device in, upon, or by which a person or property is, or may be, transported or drawn upon a highway. The term does not include the following:

(1) A device moved by human power.

(2) A device that runs only on rails or tracks.
    (3) A wheelchair.
    (b) For purposes of IC 9-17, the term includes the following:

(1) Off-road vehicles.
    (2) Manufactured homes or mobile homes that are:
    (A) personal property not held for resale; and
    (B) not attached to real estate by a permanent foundation.

:xmad: I am tired of 20-somethings riding in gangs 2-4 abreast here in Johnson County on 2 lane state roads and county roads, who simply turn around simultaneously and give me the finger, and slow down even more. Maybe we
    should write our state reps who specifically excluded them from any rules of the road. This also includes middle-age guys riding their Vespa's or mopeds who should be following the common sense laws of the road and common courtesy. I became even more grouchy when I searched the state code for bicycles and came up with a blank. The marauding hordes will appear soon. Is it legitimate to ask a sheriff discus bicycle safety with them this spring?
    I saw what you mean by the conduct on the bicycle lanes in Indy -- idiots trying to pass a bus turning right on the right at an intersection running red lights, and weaving all over the place. I don't like more laws, but I also hate our
    litigious tort laws which continue to reward folks who lack common sense or are out for a free ride. There should be some laws for bicyclists to protect people in motor vehicles. I haven't seen a bicyclist give a hand signal when
    slowing, stopping, or making a turn since the 1960's. I've seen enough broken and squished bodies in my lifetime. Whether it is bicycles or elephant guns, people need to be responsible for their own behavior and stop playing the victim.

HOW DARE YOU bump a contentious thread that had finally quieted down some expecting everybody to treat everybody with respect and fair play! GOOD DAY SIR!:drama:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Probably get in trouble for this but here goes, taken from the Central Indiana Bicycling Association website:

https://www.cibaride.org/page-1682255

Don't know how much of this applies statewide so may not be the final say.

Applicable Indiana and Indianapolis Codes for Bicycles[FONT=&amp]Indiana Code Title 9 Article 21
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Section 1 Parents and guardians; authorizing or permitting violation of chapter; bicycles; application of chapter[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 1.(a) The parent of a child and the guardian of a protected person may not authorize or knowingly permit the child or protected person to violate this chapter.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 1.(b) Subject to the exceptions stated, the provisions of this chapter applicable to bicycles apply whenever a bicycle is operated upon a highway or a path set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Section 2 Riding on roadways; rights and duties[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 2. A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway has all the rights and duties under this article that are applicable to a person who drives a vehicles, except the following:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (1) Special regulations of this article.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (2) Those provision of this article that by their nature have no application.[/FONT]

Section 3 Seats
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 3.(a) A person propelling a bicycle may not:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (1) ride other than upon the permanent and regular seat attached to the bicycle; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (2) carry any other person upon the bicycle who is not seated upon a firmly attached and regular seat on the bicycle.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 3.(b) A person may not ride upon a bicycle unless seated under this section.[/FONT]

Section 4 Passengers
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 4. A bicycle may not be used to carry more persons at one (1) time than the number for which the bicycle is designed and equipped[/FONT]

Section 5 Hitching rides on motor vehicles or street cars
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 5 A person upon a bicycle, a coaster, roller skates, or a toy vehicle may not attached the bicycle, coaster, roller skates, or toy vehicles or the person to a street car or vehicle upon a roadway.[/FONT]

Section 6 Riding two abreast
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 6 A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway may not ride more than two (2) abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.[/FONT]

Section 7 Carrying articles
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 7 A person who rides a bicycle may not carry a package, a bundle, or an article that prevents the person from keeping both hands upon the handlebars.[/FONT]

Section 8 Bells or other audible signal devices
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 8. A bicycle may not be equipped with and a person may not use upon a bicycle a siren or whistle.[/FONT]

Section 9 Lamps and reflectors
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 9. A bicycle operated on a highway from one-half (1/2) hour after sunset until one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise must be equipped with the following:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (1) A lamp on the front exhibiting a white light visible from a distance of at least five hundred (500) feet to the front.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (2) A lamp on the rear exhibiting a red light visible from a distance of five hundred (500) feet to the rear or a red reflector visible from a distance of five hundred (500) feet to the rear.[/FONT]

Section 10 Brakes
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 10. A bicycle must be equipped with a brake that will enable the person who operates the bicycle to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement.[/FONT]

Section 14 Violations
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 14. A person who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Indiana Code 9-21-3-7 Signals exhibiting colored lights or arrows; requirements; explanation of colors[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](Proceeding through an intersection with a traffic control light with a red light)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Section 7, (3) (D) If the operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, motor scooter, or bicycle approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic control signal, the operator may proceed through the intersection on a steady red signal only if the operator:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (i) comes to a complete stop at the intersection for at least one hundred twenty (120) seconds; and[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (ii) exercises due caution as provided by law, otherwise treats the traffic signal as a stop sign, and determines that it is safe to proceed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

Indianapolis City Bike Code (Partial)

[FONT=&amp]In addition to all applicable state laws, bike riders within Marion County and the City of Indianapolis must observe SECTION 1, Chapter 431, ARTICLE VI of the "Revised Code of the Consolidated City and County." The Cities of Beech Grove, Lawrence and Southports and the Town of Speedway are excepted. This code concerns the operation of bicycles on streets, sidewalks and public ways, including these recent amendments:[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Sec. 431-602 Operation by children under twelve (12) years of age; responsibility of adults.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]It shall be unlawful for the parent, legal guardian or custodian of a child under twelve (12) years of age to suffer or permit such a child to operate a bicycle in a roadway in the city while such roadway is open and used by vehicular traffic; however, this subsection shall not apply when and where: The child is at least eight (8) years of age, and is accompanied by a parent, legal guardian or custodian who at times is in position to observe and direct such child's bicycle operation; or, The child is riding only in that portion of a roadway which is designated by signs or pavement markings as being set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles; or.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The street where such roadway is located is designated by the city as a play street.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]A child under twelve (12) years of age may operate a bicycle upon a sidewalk or greenway in the city in the manner provide by Section 431-603(b) of the Code.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Sec. 431-603. Operation on roadways, sidewalks and greenways; violations.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]A person who operates a bicycle in a roadway shall comply with the provisions of IC Chapter 9-21-11.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]A person who operates a bicycle on a sidewalk or greenway in the city shall do so only in the following manner;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] The bicycle shall not be operated at a speed, or in any manner, which constitutes a threat to the safety of either the bicycle operator or other persons, or diminishes or impairs the free use of the sidewalk or greenway by other persons.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]City of Carmel, Chapter 6-63 Regulation of Vehicular Use on Sidewalks, Multi-Use Paths, Bicycle Lanes, and Roadways.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](c) Duty to Yield and Signal. Whenever a person is riding a Bicycle upon a Multi-Use Path or Sidewalk, such person shall yield the right-of-way to any person they approach from behind and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and then safely passing such person.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](d) Riding No More Than Two Abreast. No more than two bicyclists shall ride abreast in the same direction on any Bicycle Lane, Multi-Use Path, Sidewalk or Roadway located within the City's corporate limits.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](g) Child Bicyclists. It shall be unlawful for a child under seven years of age, as well as for the parent, legal guardian, or custodian of the same to suffer or permit such a child, to operate a Bicycle in a Roadway in the City while such Roadway is open and used by Motor Vehicle traffic, except that any child can cross a Roadway on a Bicycle in a direct, expedient, and prompt manner when accompanied by his or her parent, legal guardian, or custodian, and that any child may operate a Bicycle upon a Sidewalk or Multi-Use Path subject to the restrictions in this section.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](h) Right-of-Way. Pedestrians have the right-of-way while on any Multi-Use Path or Sidewalk located within the City's corporate limits, and all others must yield or adjust their rate and direction of travel to avoid a collision with any and all such pedestrians. However, pedestrians must yield to vehicular traffic at those points where the trail intersects or crosses a Roadway.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](i) It shall be unlawful for any person to use a Bicycle to deliberately block or close a roadway intersection so as to facilitate the passage of other bicyclists through the intersection without stopping, yielding to other traffic, or in contravention of the traffic signals, traffic control devices, signs, posted speed limits, or markings upon a Roadway, Bicycle Lane, Sidewalk, or Multi-Use Path.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (j) Monon Greenway Speed Limits. No vehicle on which one or more persons and/or property is or may be transported or drawn, whether motorized or propelled by human power, the wind, or in any other manner, may operate or travel in excess of 20 m.p.h. on or along the Monon Greenway, or at such lesser speed as is reasonable and prudent under the conditions then present, except that no such vehicle may operate or travel in excess of 15 m.p.h., or at such lesser speed as is reasonable and prudent under the conditions then present, on or along the Monon Greenway from and including its intersection with 111th Street to and including its intersection with 136th Street, and provided that such speed limitations shall not apply to public police, fire, health, and safety vehicles.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] (k) Penalties. Any person violating this section shall be subject to a fine of $10, for the first such offense, a fine of $25, for the second offense, and a fine of $100, plus costs, for all subsequent offenses. This does not limit the authority of the court to impose additional penalties as permitted by law for moving violations, including suspension of driving privileges and mandating the violator attend and complete a defensive driving class. First and second offense violations of this section may be filed with the City Court Ordinance Violations Bureau.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]City of Carmel, Chapter 8-40 Operation of Motor Vehicles and Bicycles in Roadways and Bicycle Lanes. (Three-Foot Passing)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](e) Passing of Bicycles. The driver of any Motor Vehicle operating within the City's corporate limits, whenever passing a Bicycle then proceeding in the same direction on any Roadway, shall maintain at all times a distance of not less than three feet from said Bicycle during the entire passing maneuver.[/FONT]

Top Bottom