• ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    eegads. This is freicking depressing.

I'm trying to suppress the need to go out and buy aluminum foil headgear. I really don't believe there was anything to this.

We're in an era of the full grown deceptive child. And they only learn to be better/more deceitful when they get caught.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You are not finding any 911 calls as I believe the call was placed to campus security from an office on a land line, likely a faculty office.

Who called it in?
    You could be on to something kirk. My colleagues and I were wondering if it was real from the beginning because we'd already been told that there would be a drill of some sort just not what or when. What a mess and waste of resources if it was a drill.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Yes, LOGIC would state exactly what you stated above. However, these people don't use logic, they use emotion. And emotion says that if someone got scared because they thought they saw a gun, thus causing a 4 hour lockdown and manhunt, then allowing proper persons to conceal carry on campus will create more of these problems when people spot a gun that was intended to be concealed. We don't want to put people in a panic on a regular basis, so it's best to coddle those with a fear of guns than to allow proper persons the ability to defend themselves should a real event occur. Besides, this is Indiana and mass shootings don't occur here, so you have no real reason to carry a gun for protection. Plus, we have campus police, who coordinate with state police and we react quickly to prevent any potential shootings. Insert purple where needed, but these WILL be their arguments against allowing people to carry on campus.

Quick fix then. Dont just make Campus Carry mean Concealed Carry. Make it OC/CC all the way in line with state law. If it is legal on the sidewalk, it should be legal 3 ft away.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    His response was "They locked the doors from the outside, I can't go anywhere."

I would like to hear more about this^ and whether the person intends to follow up with any action regarding false imprisonment or being subject to a fire hazard.
    how do they have the authority to force adults into rooms and keep them there against their will?

Exactly.
    I've read both ways here so far (some locked *in*, some not) and I'd be curious to find out how exactly (referring to the "locked in" statement) they can keep a free adult from vacating the area if that is their wish.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I would like to hear more about this^ and whether the person intends to follow up with any action regarding false imprisonment or being subject to a fire hazard.

Exactly.
    I've read both ways here so far (some locked *in*, some not) and I'd be curious to find out how exactly (referring to the "locked in" statement) they can keep a free adult from vacating the area if that is their wish.

For the first few hours my friend told me that she was not locked inside but was instructed that she is not free to leave. The last hour she says she was locked inside an office.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    For the first few hours my friend told me that she was not locked inside but was instructed that she is not free to leave. The last hour she says she was locked inside an office.

Assuming she was not "OK" with that, is she planning on pursuing any filing of complaints or such?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sorry, but I vehemently disagree, because that 'answer' just isn't gonna cut it.

While I understand (and respect) your position, the flippant response can, quite easily, get someone arrested for carrying on campus. UNLESS there's something stated that a college or university is NOT a "school", for the reasons cited above, it's like considered that they ARE schools.

Up to the individual, of course. But I prefer NOT to bother going to court and spending beaucoup bucks on hiring attorney's to 'prove' I'm 'right'.

And my HIGH suspicion is that IF someone were to get arrested for it, the prosecution is absolutely going to use the same references I did here to support their position that colleges and universities ARE schools.

It would THEN be up to the individual / defendant to provide references (evidence) that colleges and universities are not. So, what is that individual gonna cite? "SOME random guys (even lawyers) on the INGO gun forum SAY colleges and universities are NOT schools. That's good enough for me and I have my rights!". THAT'S their 'defensible' position?

LMAO! "Good luck" with THAT! Obviously, those types have never been in a courtroom, LOL... :p :laugh:

Off topic but ModernGunner there is a course call Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ing/274357-comprehensive_indiana_gun_law.html
    and
    Personal Protection in the Home (5-29)

taught by an ATTY who is also an INGO member who specialized in Indiana Gun laws. In that course (which I have taken) he covers that for purposes of Indiana gun laws a School DOES NOT covere colleges/universiies. It's just Pre-K through 12 grade.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ok, this is unconfirmed, but I just heard through the grapevine that the "gun" in this case was actually a bassoon... For those not familiar, a bassoon is a long, skinny musical instrument that would have a similar profile to a shotgun in a case....

Can anybody else confirm this? I'm not sure if I believe it is gospel, so I'd love to hear if anybody else can confirm.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Ok, this is unconfirmed, but I just heard through the grapevine that the "gun" in this case was actually a bassoon... For those not familiar, a bassoon is a long, skinny musical instrument that would have a similar profile to a shotgun in a case....

Can anybody else confirm this? I'm not sure if I believe it is gospel, so I'd love to hear if anybody else can confirm.

I can see why everyone was frightened in that case...

bassoon.jpg.png

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Hmmm.... Plausible.

Bassoon case/Long gun case

DV016_Jpg_Large_1274228069717_A.jpg

Nylon-and-Imitation-Leather-Shotgun-Case-HH196NLPU-01-.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You can do damage with a bassoon...

BASSOON: This is a weapon designed to start wars. Used primarily indoors, this weapon's unique tone can cause great embarrassment in social situations. Also known as the "farting bed post" the bassoonist will hide behind a set of curtains at an official state dinner or similar function. With the help of a diplomatic operative during the meal, the intermittent flatulent tones emitted by the bassoon can be blamed on certain visiting high government official s, causing great embarrassment and the possible beginning of hostilities between two countries. The best countermeasure to the bassoon involves lighter fluid and matches (you fill in the blanks).

http://www.angelfire.com/band/laughs/weapons.html

Top Bottom