• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    But Lowe, the rules governing small scale conflict ARE the tightrope over the chaos you mention. You can fight bareknuckle using the Marquis de Queensbury's framework. You can fight with very deadly weapons indeed under the aegis of Chivalry or Bushido. But if your opponent is without honor, the code does not require your forebearance.

Funny that we would think of the same thing at the same time without having seen each others posts at the time of posting!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Especially since bareknuckle brawling with rules has fallen so far out of favor. The shaming/shunning of dishonorable behavior should never have been abandoned IMO

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Nonsense. That's the kind of argument 5 year olds make - "but they started it!". That's not the level of maturity I'd expect from someone bearing a lethal weapon.

And just when I thought I'd said my piece on this, Kurt Schlichter serves up more juvenile nonsense:

"And you’re infuriating people like that sanctimonious, Second Amendment-hating incompetent infesting the White House, which is great."

No, it isn't. There are plenty of positive reasons to own firearms. Enjoying the sport of shooting. Participating in family and national traditions of hunting and marksmanship. Being prepared for the worst case scenario. With so many positive reasons, why delight in annoying someone else?

"The über-beta editor of a well-known liberal website once chided me on Twitter for pointing out the fact that civilization walks on a tightrope over a chasm of chaos, telling me I was essentially nuts for thinking this could all fall apart much faster and much more violently than any of us imagine."

I find it difficult to take seriously anyone using the whole alpha/beta male schtick non-ironically, but really, what's the difference between referring to non-enthusiasts as insufficiently male, vs. the whole penis size thing again?

Well, of course you don't like Colonel Schlicter; he writes for a leftist boogeyman, Townhall.
    I rest my case.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Well, of course you don't like Colonel Schlicter; he writes for a leftist boogeyman, Townhall.
    I rest my case.

Oh yes. That must be the reason. The part where I said exactly what I don't like about Schlichter can't possibly be true; it must be his politics instead.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I really hope this isn't true;
    Massachusetts Town Subjects Gun Permit Applicants To An Essay Portion - Matt Vespa

I would be tempted to write on the history of the Second Amendment, and why asking for an essay on good cause does not appear in the Second Amendment.

Indiana used to require this for a LTCH. After the courts intervened, your application came with a form letter you had to sign and include to satisfy this unremoved but court-stricken feature by signing and including the form letter which basically said, "I want to carry a gun because I have a right to do so per [court decision]." This stupidity of course has now been completely dropped.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    What part of "I'm not joining you" did you fail to understand?

Whether you're joining or not, if you're going to respond to my posts, go ahead and respond to the actual text instead of whatever you imagine that I say or think. Failing that, if you are going to argue against your imaginary version of me, consider keeping both halves of the conversation in your imagination.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why would I call them anything? They have a different opinion than I do. It happens.

Shouldn't someone be the bigger person?

I think you're missing the point. Comments like "gun owners are compensating for small penises" harm the credibility of their arguments. Why give up an own-goal by doing the exact same thing?

I see what you're saying. I can respect an intellectually honest argument even if I disagree with it. But some of the nuttier anti-gun people think I should be harmed because I own firearms. I think it's okay to call those people nutty. That's not merely having a different opinion. That goes way beyond intellectual dishonesty. Not only should I not respect it, I think it's fair game to ridicule.

On the other hand, you're right that it doesn't help my argument to say just as nutty things about their side. Are they mentally ill? Probably not so much in clinical terms but they are "nutty" in the colloquial sense.

So I guess people here might be wondering if you defend the nutty right wingers to your more left leaning friends as much as they perceive that you defend the lefties. Kinda goes both ways.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    So I guess people here might be wondering if you defend the nutty right wingers to your more left leaning friends as much as they perceive that you defend the lefties. Kinda goes both ways.
    I don't, because my left-leaning friends don't usually talk about my mental state or the size of my penis, or anyone else's, which really doesn't open a lot of opportunities to mount such a defense. Calling others mentally ill, beta males, etc. just isn't something that happens in my day to day conversations.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't, because my left-leaning friends don't usually talk about my mental state or the size of my penis, or anyone else's, which really doesn't open a lot of opportunities to mount such a defense. Calling others mentally ill, beta males, etc. just isn't something that happens in my day to day conversations.

So you're saying the left-leaning friends are beta males? :stickpoke:

I've not been in very many left leaning circles where people don't think right leaning people are nuts. You must have found a very accepting crowd to hang out with. Not that I have that many left leaning friends but I do have to socialize with the inlaws on occasion. Yeah, they think gun owners are nuts, not too many "penis" comments but it's a mixed crowd.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

So, what I read is that you come to a conservative leaning site and defend your left leaning friends from the folks that return their offerings in kind.

You however, have never seen the need to offer this criticism to your left leaning friends who call names and wish evil on your conservative leaning "friends"?

In your conversations with your left leaning friends (do they realize that you are a gun nut?) has the "gun violence" conversation ever come up?

Have yoy never read the comments of left leaning folks concerning "gun violence" on the internet.

Do you just keep your mouth shut as they call your conservative "friends" mentally ill, small penised, throw backs and etc.

I wish no ill to those who disagree with me, but I have read hateful comments from the left often.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    So, what I read is that you come to a conservative leaning site and defend your left leaning friends from the folks that return their offerings in kind.

You however, have never seen the need to offer this criticism to your left leaning friends who call names and wish evil on your conservative leaning "friends"?

In your conversations with your left leaning friends (do they realize that you are a gun nut?) has the "gun violence" conversation ever come up?

Have yoy never read the comments of left leaning folks concerning "gun violence" on the internet.

Do you just keep your mouth shut as they call your conservative "friends" mentally ill, small penised, throw backs and etc.

I wish no ill to those who disagree with me, but I have read hateful comments from the left often.

Wait, you're asking if I defend gun owners against things that I explicitly stated my friends aren't saying about myself or other gun owners? I do have one particular friend who's very opposed to guns. He's never commented about my mental state or penis size. I've never called him a ***** or a beta male. Because that's how civil, adult conversation works. Some of my liberal friends take me up on my invitation to the range, some politely ignore it. Again, that's what civil adults do.

As for people who aren't my friends, random posters on the Internet? Yes, I do criticize them. That doesn't excuse anyone of their responsibility to act like an adult.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wait, you're asking if I defend gun owners against things that I explicitly stated my friends aren't saying about myself or other gun owners? I do have one particular friend who's very opposed to guns. He's never commented about my mental state or penis size. I've never called him a ***** or a beta male. Because that's how civil, adult conversation works. Some of my liberal friends take me up on my invitation to the range, some politely ignore it. Again, that's what civil adults do.

As for people who aren't my friends, random posters on the Internet? Yes, I do criticize them. That doesn't excuse anyone of their responsibility to act like an adult.

Really, isn't that the whole thing we're discussing?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    A gun ban will never work. Without registration they have no means of tracking down every single gun in this country. No, they'll never do that.

If I was a totalitarian leftist I would sneak through legislation to slowly expand the NFA to cover practically everything, and say it's a superior background check system. It's far more feasible and would be nearly impossible to ever revert. Criminalization is far easier than confiscation, and much less confrontational, so it would be difficult to spark a civil war.

Then offer all existing gun owners free entry into the NFA with their existing weapons, which would be registration. To avoid a supreme court flop, limit the regulation to magazines and semi-automatic firearms.

Yep, nightmare fuel right there. Granted the rule change to HHS is just about as big of nightmare fuel as it's effectively a gun ban for a large segment of citizens.

This is why the NFA needs to go in a hurry, it would be all too easy for someone who knows what's up to do something like this.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    There is a huge difference between gun owners and the anti-gunners. Anti-gunners, regardless of their language and name calling, are trying to remove our right to keep and bear arms. On the other hand, gun owners, regardless of their language and name calling, are trying to preserve our rights. We are not trying to take anything away from others. I would also say that we are trying to expand the right for everyone to chose for themselves, how they want to live their lives without government interference. Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom