• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Attacking Homosexuality

Why is Uganda attacking homosexuality?

(CNN) -- As a gay man in Uganda, Frank Mugisha is used to the taunts, the slurs and the daily harassment of neighbors and friends.

But if a new bill proposed in the east African country becomes law, Mugisha could be put away for life, or worse, put to death for having sex with another man.

"Right now, you can't go to places that are crowded, because the mob can attack us or even burn us. We can't walk alone. We are ostracized by relatives. But if this bill passes, it will become impossible for me to live here at all. And that part hurts the most," Mugisha said.

The Anti-Homosexuality Bill features several provisions that human rights groups say would spur a witch hunt of homosexuals in the country:

• Gays and lesbians convicted of having gay sex would be sentenced, at minimum, to life in prison

• People who test positive for HIV may be executed

• Homosexuals who have sex with a minor, or engage in homosexual sex more than once, may also receive the death penalty

• The bill forbids the "promotion of homosexuality," which in effect bans organizations working in HIV and AIDS prevention

• Anyone who knows of homosexual activity taking place but does not report it would risk up to three years in prison

"Who will go to HIV testing if he knows that he will suffer the death sentence?" Elizabeth Mataka, the U.N. Special Envoy on AIDS in Africa, told reporters last week. "The law will drive them away from seeking counseling and testing services."

Homosexuality is already illegal in Uganda under colonial-era laws. But the bill, introduced in October, is intended to put more teeth into prosecuting violators.

It applies even to Ugandans participating in same-sex acts in countries where such behavior is legal.

"They are supposed to be brought back to Uganda and convicted here. The government is putting homosexuality on the level of treason," Mugisha said.

Lawmakers have indicated that they will pass the bill before year's end.

It has the blessing of many religious leaders -- Muslim and Christian -- in a country where a July poll found 95 percent opposed to legalizing homosexuality.

The Rev. Esau Omara, a senior church leader, said over the weekend that any lawmaker opposing the bill will pay for it during the next election, according to local newspaper reports.

And a leading Muslim cleric, Sheikh Ramathan Shaban Mubajje, has called for gays to be rounded up and banished to an island until they die.

Several media outlets also have inflamed sentiments in recent months by publicly pointing out gays and lesbians.

In April, the Observer newspaper published tips to help readers spot homosexuals. And over the summer, the Red Pepper tabloid outed 45 gays and lesbians.

Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni has not publicly stated his position on the bill, but last month blamed foreign influence in promoting and funding homosexuality.

"It is true that, if the president has said that, he must have information that European nations are promoting (homosexuality) and recruiting homosexuals," government spokesman Fred Opolot said. "You must note that the president or the legislators are responding to the concern of the citizenry of the country."

At the Commonwealth summit in Trinidad and Tobago late last month, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said he pulled aside Museveni to deplore the bill.

"We find them inconsistent with, frankly, I think any reasonable understanding of human rights, and I was very clear on that with the president of Uganda," Harper told reporters.

In the United States, a coalition of Christian leaders released a statement Monday denouncing the bill.

"Regardless of the diverse theological views of our religious traditions regarding the morality of homosexuality, in our churches, communities and families, we seek to embrace our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters as God's children, worthy of respect and love," the statement read.

Human rights groups have called on Western nations to withhold aid from Uganda if the measure passes. About 40 percent of the country's budget comes from international aid.

"This draft bill is clearly an attempt to divide and weaken civil society by striking at one of its most marginalized groups," said Scott Long, director of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights Program at the New York-based Human Rights Watch. "The government may be starting here, but who will be next?"

Opolot, the government spokesman, said consideration of the bill in parliament is merely "democracy at work."

"We as a country are engaging and debating a pertinent issue," he said. "So if a foreign country chooses to cut aid simply because Uganda is debating its destiny, then it is quite outrageous and quite wrong."

Mugisha, who now heads the group Sexual Minority of Uganda, said he is working with lawyers and other activists to change minds and defeat the measure.

"I have put a lot of effort in this struggle. I just want to live freely every day," he said. "I want to be happy knowing that if I'm going to meet someone, I'm not going to be taken to jail forever."

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This is the perfect example of those who say Christianity and Islam are the same but two different religions.

What the Rev had to say...

The Rev. Esau Omara, a senior church leader, said over the weekend that any lawmaker opposing the bill will pay for it during the next election, according to local newspaper reports.

And the Muslim cleric....

And a leading Muslim cleric, Sheikh Ramathan Shaban Mubajje, has called for gays to be rounded up and banished to an island until they die.

Yes a very peaceful religion indeed.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    • Gays and lesbians convicted of having gay sex would be sentenced, at minimum, to life in prison

• People who test positive for HIV may be executed

• Homosexuals who have sex with a minor, or engage in homosexual sex more than once, may also receive the death penalty

• The bill forbids the "promotion of homosexuality," which in effect bans organizations working in HIV and AIDS prevention

• Anyone who knows of homosexual activity taking place but does not report it would risk up to three years in prison

Opolot, the government spokesman, said consideration of the bill in parliament is merely "democracy at work."

Ain't democracy grand?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Uganda Proposes Death Penalty for Gays

Bill, Decried by Rights Groups, Would also Punish Family Members and Friends who Don't Report Gay Acquaintances

• image5940955g.jpg
    • David Cato, a Ugandan gay rights activist, poses at a restaurant in Kampala, Uganda, Dec. 8, 2009. Proposed legislation would impose the death penalty for some gay Ugandans, and their family, friends and even landlords also could face up to seven years in jail if they fail to report them to authorities. Cato became an activist after he was beaten up, arrested, and fired from his job because he is gay. (AP Photo/Stephen Wandera)

• (AP) Proposed legislation would impose the death penalty for some gay Ugandans, and their family and friends could face up to seven years in jail if they fail to report them to authorities. Even landlords could be imprisoned for renting to homosexuals.

Gay rights activists say the bill, which has prompted growing international opposition, promotes hatred and could set back efforts to combat HIV/AIDS. They believe the bill is part of a continentwide backlash because Africa's gay community is becoming more vocal.

"It's a question of visibility," said David Cato, who became an activist after he was beaten up four times, arrested twice, fired from his teaching job and outed in the press because he is gay. "When we come out and ask for our rights, they pass laws against us."

The legislation has drawn global attention from activists across the spectrum of views on gay issues. The measure was proposed in Uganda following a visit by leaders of U.S. conservative Christian ministries that promote therapy for gays to become heterosexual. However, at least one of those leaders has denounced the bill, as have some other conservative and liberal Christians in the United States.

Gay rights activists say the legislation is likely to pass. But the bill is still being debated and could undergo changes before a vote, which has not yet been set.

The Ugandan legislation in its current form would mandate a death sentence for active homosexuals living with HIV or in cases of same-sex rape. "Serial offenders" also could face capital punishment, but the legislation does not define the term. Anyone convicted of a homosexual act faces life imprisonment.

Anyone who "aids, abets, counsels or procures another to engage of acts of homosexuality" faces seven years in prison if convicted. Landlords who rent rooms or homes to homosexuals also could get seven years and anyone with "religious, political, economic or social authority" who fails to report anyone violating the act faces three years.

Gay rights activists abroad are focusing on the legislation. A protest against the bill is planned for Thursday in London; protests were held last month in New York and Washington.

David Bahati, the legislator sponsoring the bill, said he was encouraging "constructive criticism" to improve the law, but insisted strict measures were necessary to stop homosexuals from "recruiting" schoolchildren.

"The youths in secondary schools copy everything from the Western world and America," said high school teacher David Kisambira. "A good number of students have been converted into gays. We hear there are groups of people given money by some gay organizations in developed countries to recruit youth into gay activities."

Uganda's ethics minister, James Nsaba Buturo, said the death sentence clause would probably be reviewed but maintained the law was necessary to counter foreign influence. He said homosexuality "is not natural in Uganda," a view echoed by some Ugandans.

"I feel that the bill is good and necessary, but I don't think gays should be killed. They should be imprisoned for about a year and warned never to do it again. The family is in danger in Uganda because the rate at which vice is spreading is appalling," said shopkeeper John Muwanguzi.

Uganda is not the only country considering anti-gay laws. Nigeria, where homosexuality is already punishable by imprisonment or death, is considering strengthening penalties for activities deemed to promote it. Burundi just banned same-sex relationships and Rwanda is considering it.

Homophobia is rife even in more tolerant African countries.

In Kenya, homosexuality is illegal but the government has acknowledged its existence by launching sexual orientation survey to improve health care. Nevertheless, the recent marriage of two Kenyan men in London caused outrage. The men's families in Kenya were harassed by reporters and villagers.

In South Africa, the only African nation to recognize gay marriage, gangs carry out so-called "corrective" rapes on lesbians. A 19-year-old lesbian athlete was gang-raped, tortured and murdered in 2008.

Debate over the Ugandan bill follows a conference in Kampala earlier this year attended by American activists who consider same-gender relationships sinful, and believe gays and lesbians can become heterosexual through prayer and counseling. Author Don Schmierer and "sexual reorientation coach" Caleb Lee Brundidge took part; they did not respond to interview requests.

A third American who took part in the conference in Uganda, Scott Lively, said the bill has gone too far.

"I agree with the general goal but this law is far too harsh," said Lively, a California-based preacher and author of "The Pink Swastika" and other books that advise parents how to "recruit-proof" their children from gays.

"Society should actively discourage all sex outside of marriage and that includes homosexuality ... The family is under threat," he said. Gay people "should not be parading around the streets," he added.

Frank Mugisha, a gay Ugandan human rights activist, said the bill was so poorly worded that someone could be imprisoned for giving a hug.

"This bill is promoting hatred," he said. "We're turning Uganda into a police state. It will drive people to suicide."

Buturo played down the influence of foreign evangelicals, saying the proposed legislation was an expression of popular outrage against "repugnant" practices. But activists like Cato argue anti-gay attitudes are a foreign import.

"In the beginning, when the missionaries brought religion, they said they were bringing love," he said. "Instead they brought hate, through homophobia."

Susan Timberlake, a senior adviser on human rights and law from UNAIDS, said such laws could hinder the fight against HIV/AIDS by driving people further underground. And activists also worry that the legislation could be used to blackmail or silence government critics.

Cato said he thinks the Ugandan bill will pass, perhaps in an altered form.

"It's such a setback. But I hope we can overcome it," he said. "I cannot believe this is happening in the 21st century."
    :popcorn:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Oddly, I was thinking about this this morning.

So many here are so adamantly anti-homosexual, I have to wonder... What if the cop that responds to your attack, your family member's (or YOUR) rape, etc. was gay?

What if the ER doctor who was treating you after that attack was gay?

What if your legislator, working on passing that very pro-gun bill, was gay?

Would any of you be so loudly vocal, so adamantly insistent that they were/are a [televangelist]HELL-bound SINner[/televangelist]? Would you make known your opposition to his/her very existence?

I'm not gay. I know people who are, but I don't share their lifestyle. I don't care who they have as a partner, so long as both are adults and the relationship is mutually consensual.

Our rights are under attack from so many different angles, I'm of the opinion we need to keep all the friends we have (Pink Pistols, etc.)

:twocents:
    Blessings,
    Bill

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Why? Because GOD said so! I don't care who you are or what you do for a living, if you are gay, you are an insult to the human race. Homosexuality is like spitting in the eye of God, Your Parents and the entire human race/natural order. I know quite a few people that make poor choices...I mean are gay, and they all know how I feel about it. We just don't talk about it anymore because they know what I've got to say and they don't want to hear it...again. Oh, did I mention that my mother-in-law is one of the gays that know EXACTLY how I feel about it?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    "In the beginning, when the missionaries brought religion, they said they were bringing love," he said. "Instead they brought hate, through homophobia."

It seems the missionaries have been there for quite sometime
    The first Anglican missionaries arrived in Uganda in 1877. The first Roman Catholic missionaries arrived in 1879. Meanwhile the missionaries provided schools for Ugandans and literacy became increasingly common. In 1920 executive and legislative councils were formed in Uganda.

Uganda's ethics minister, James Nsaba Buturo, said the death sentence clause would probably be reviewed but maintained the law was necessary to counter foreign influence. He said homosexuality "is not natural in Uganda," a view echoed by some Ugandans.
    This guy says it is not the missionaries who brought homophobia. He says foreign influence has made homosexual activities acceptable by some.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    "the bill was so poorly worded that someone could be imprisoned for giving a hug."

"Gay rights activists say the legislation is likely to pass."

What a country.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Oddly, I was thinking about this this morning.

So many here are so adamantly anti-homosexual, I have to wonder... What if the cop that responds to your attack, your family member's (or YOUR) rape, etc. was gay?

What if the ER doctor who was treating you after that attack was gay?

What if your legislator, working on passing that very pro-gun bill, was gay?

How would I know, are they propositioning me, flirting with me.... Yeah, I would let them know I have a problem with it if they were doing those things. If the cop that came out made it known to me he was gay, then he was acting unprofessionally in some way. I would also have a problem with a hetero cop flirting with a female family member. I don't really want anyone's sexuality pushed in my face.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    How would I know, are they propositioning me, flirting with me.... Yeah, I would let them know I have a problem with it if they were doing those things. If the cop that came out made it known to me he was gay, then he was acting unprofessionally in some way. I would also have a problem with a hetero cop flirting with a female family member. I don't really want anyone's sexuality pushed in my face.

That is it for most people. Live how you want but don't flaunt it about. People who disagree with others lifestyles are not HATERS.

Gays have ramped up the rhetoric and this push back may grow to other countries as well. I don't go around talking about my Heterosexuality and I don't care to hear about others, regardless of type.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Interesting point Haldir

That is an interesting point Haldir. A person's sexual orientation in the situations that Bill describes should not be discernable. I think I would be disturbed by a cop/doctor/legislator injecting their sexuality into their job. Overall I would agree with Bill that in a time when so many of our rights are under attack that we sould be very careful of trambling on someone else rights. Things like that do tend to bite you on the backside in the long run. So, if the hypothetical gay cop just shows up and does their job, no problem.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

You wouldn't know about the cop or the doctor, most likely. You might know about the legislator (e.g. Barney Frank, Larry Craig) without direct contact... but I'd be a fool to believe that none of our legislators, at the state level if no higher, read INGO.

That is it for most people. Live how you want but don't flaunt it about. People who disagree with others lifestyles are not HATERS.

Gays have ramped up the rhetoric and this push back may grow to other countries as well. I don't go around talking about my Heterosexuality and I don't care to hear about others, regardless of type.

^^This.

That is an interesting point Haldir. A person's sexual orientation in the situations that Bill describes should not be discernable. I think I would be disturbed by a cop/doctor/legislator injecting their sexuality into their job. Overall I would agree with Bill that in a time when so many of our rights are under attack that we sould be very careful of trambling on someone else rights. Things like that do tend to bite you on the backside in the long run. So, if the hypothetical gay cop just shows up and does their job, no problem.

^^ and this.

A gay man's (or woman's) letter to a legislator has the same value (if not perhaps more) than a straight person's. I say possibly more because of the preoccupation legislators seem to have with hate crime legislation-if they can be shown that they're hurting their preferred groups (not that I agree with those preferences either, nor the idiocy that is "hate crime" legislation.

ThrottleJockey, you are welcome to your beliefs and your choices as to how to act on them. For my part, I truly am not my brothers' keeper, by which I mean that (unlike Cain, who did kill Abel,) I didn't make them gay, I'm not participating in any activities related to their or my sexuality, it simply does not affect me who they choose as a partner or to which gender they are attracted, any more than it affects them that I am attracted to women rather than men. Consenting adults. Let's leave the judgment of people to Someone who has authority to judge us.

Blessings,
    Bill

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Why? Because GOD said so! I don't care who you are or what you do for a living, if you are gay, you are an insult to the human race. Homosexuality is like spitting in the eye of God, Your Parents and the entire human race/natural order. I know quite a few people that make poor choices...I mean are gay, and they all know how I feel about it. We just don't talk about it anymore because they know what I've got to say and they don't want to hear it...again. Oh, did I mention that my mother-in-law is one of the gays that know EXACTLY how I feel about it?

just to play devil's advocate, how do you feel about the documented homosexuality that occurs in species other than humans?

and i'm sure that despite your views, you dont believe that homosexuals should be imprisoned or executed (now there's a gross waste of taxpayer funds and a huge BIG GOVT intrusion). as for the spitting in the eye of god thing, i have met plenty of straight people who are a bigger insult to the human race than the gay guy who helps my wife at the GAP.:laugh:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Another good point

Wow LPman59, that's another good point. If I'm gonna hate, then there are other groups and individuals in this world far more richly deserving of my hatred than gays. I mean, gay men are pretty low on my threat radar. If TSHTF, I doubt that a bunch of gay men are going to break into my bunker and start redecorating. I'll save my anger for the terrorists and the child molesters instead.

Top Bottom