• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sadly, I think law enforcement has kept way too much info from the public from the beginning on this case. I understand the idea of keeping secret info that only the perp would know to trap local nearby suspects with their words and such, but this secret mentality has backfired in this case.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A Friday announcement for a Monday press conference, advertised as open to the public. They thought he'd show up.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If only there was a way to take that sketch and use decentralized computer systems to compare it to social media posts of people in the area that fit the other demographic information.

[sigh]

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    My gut tells me the ISP are at a big dead end and are grasping at straws. Like KA stated they were hoping he would show up to the meeting and even said as much. The trooper giving the briefing seemed almost unhinged to me and seems to have taken it very personally. I would think it’s time he took a break and moved on to another position.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My gut tells me the ISP are at a big dead end and are grasping at straws. Like KA stated they were hoping he would show up to the meeting and even said as much. The trooper giving the briefing seemed almost unhinged to me and seems to have taken it very personally. I would think it’s time he took a break and moved on to another position.

That's Doug Carter, former Hamilton County Sheriff and current Superintendent of the ISP. He's the top dog. Only boss over him is the governor. (Basically.)

And yeah, he's taking it personally. (He's kinda a political guy, so sometimes it isn't clear, but I really do think he's taking this one personally.)

I wonder if they really do have a "witness." That is, someone saw a guy walking in the area of the car on that day and then described him, which resulted in the new sketch. But, ISP doesn't want to identify the witness or give any info about them.

Either that, or they want the killer to think there's a witness.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I still dont understand the complete different suspect drawing. Just bam out of the blue. So are we still looking for the other face too or no?

It's just one person, so I think we can probably forget about the first sketch. Most people think that the first sketch looks a lot like the photo. So there's no mystery about how they came up with that sketch. The second one is less obvious, but is consistent with the photo - you just have to "unsee" certain ambiguous things, which is very hard. So maybe they got this sketch from some FBI expert that's much better at interpreting photos, or maybe they got it from this witness they've mentioned. Or maybe it's based on a photo of someone they have in mind.

Obviously we can only guess as to how it happened, but my guess is that there's a good reason that they announced in advance that they wouldn't be taking any questions. They've done Q & A sessions before, and clearly they have no problem refusing specific questions about things they haven't released. So why have no questions allowed at all? There must be certain questions that they don't want to be confronted with publicly. "How did you come up with that sketch?" would be top of the list for me.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Then there's this:

The new sketch shared Monday depicts a man who appears much younger than the original sketch. Carter said the old sketch is now being considered secondary.

Master Trooper Taylor Bryant, a sketch artist with Indiana State Police who drew the new sketch, told IndyStar a sketch is based on how a particular witness describes the suspect. If there are several witnesses, Bryant would draw a sketch for each description. Bryant did not draw the sketch that police released in July 2017.

"The witness is the main focus. So there’s no input from law enforcement at all in the generating of a sketch, other than my presence as the artist."

Bryant uses a "facial identification reference sheet" that has a list of different categories, from head shapes to different eyebrows and noses. The person will describe the suspect based on those categories. "(It's) easier to do that than to describe (the suspect) using just words," Bryant said.

The sketches are not exact, Bryant said. The renderings are a "ballpark estimation of what the person looks like."

The sketch released on Monday was drawn by Bryant on Feb. 17, 2017, a few days after the victims' bodies were found. The picture was based on the description of a person who saw something that the person felt needed to be reported, according to Bryant.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Then there's this:

I was looking at this story a minute ago. This is definitely not my lane, but the two sketches are so different. Was this done to draw out the suspect out?

The OK City bombing in 95 originally had 3 suspects. Suspect #3 turned out to be not involved, but the sketch looked nothing like him. It did look like a guy in a class with me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know the reasoning behind not releasing more info (that they probably have). I find it hard to believe that Libby only recorded those few seconds on her phone that have been released so far. I'm not sure I want to know what else may have been recorded. They've been very tight-lipped about how the girls were found too, so I'm guessing it was pretty gruesome and that would also explain the ISP head's emotional involvement. :(

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I don't know the reasoning behind not releasing more info (that they probably have). I find it hard to believe that Libby only recorded those few seconds on her phone that have been released so far. I'm not sure I want to know what else may have been recorded. They've been very tight-lipped about how the girls were found too, so I'm guessing it was pretty gruesome and that would also explain the ISP head's emotional involvement. :(

The reasoning is that they want to make sure they can verify any information they get as genuine. They've said before that they have more video and audio. How much, no one knows. Obviously they don't have any video that shows the suspect any more clearly, or else they'd be releasing that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The reasoning is that they want to make sure they can verify any information they get as genuine. They've said before that they have more video and audio. How much, no one knows. Obviously they don't have any video that shows the suspect any more clearly, or else they'd be releasing that.

Yeah that makes sense (the verification of info they get).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Now the police are being overwhelmed with false tips - people wanting to take revenge on their exes, etc.. WTF did they expect would happen when they released a drawing of a suspect that looked absolutely nothing like the first drawing? I don't get it. I know they only want legitimate tips, but they should have expected things to start up all over again when they've withheld this info for 2 years. Sorry, not sorry. Work some more overtime. You asked for it, you got it.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Now the police are being overwhelmed with false tips - people wanting to take revenge on their exes, etc.. WTF did they expect would happen when they released a drawing of a suspect that looked absolutely nothing like the first drawing? I don't get it. I know they only want legitimate tips, but they should have expected things to start up all over again when they've withheld this info for 2 years. Sorry, not sorry. Work some more overtime. You asked for it, you got it.

Where did you hear that they are being overwhelmed with false tips?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    This is the email that went out today:

Delphi Double Homicide Investigation Tip Information
    Delphi-Since the news briefing on April 22, 2019, the Multi-Agency Task Force has received over 2,200 emails, 400 calls and an additional 135 calls and or walk-ins to local police departments and state police posts around the state. The total amount since the inception of the email and tip line is over 42,000.
    Please remember that we are looking for information that could lead to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons who committed this crime.

• Be specific as possible to a description
    • Name and age if possible
    • A connection to Delphi and that person’s location or address at this time
    • Leaving information on how we can contact you for possible clarification of your tip is helpful but not required
    • Tips can remain anonymous
    If you have a tip, no matter how insignificant you feel it might be, contact us by email at abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com or phone at 844-459-5786.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Where did you hear that they are being overwhelmed with false tips?

I've seen reports on WRTV. They emphasized that they do appreciate valid tips, but apparently some of the "tips" are based on other motives, or else just not legitimate. Lots of facebook/social media "detectives" I think that are just serving to muddy up the waters.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Hate to say it, but I think this has moved into the realm of unsolvable cases. Maybe someday they will solve it, but it will not be because of "good police work". It will be a result of happenstance. Luck.

Top Bottom