Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Perhaps "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence' would suit you better?
    Well, if we're back to talking about Kraken, wild ass claims without any corroboration other than people who have a reason to lie is not a good reason to believe something. Anything is possible. Not everything is likely.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Deflectcon 4, I see

We're not talking literal Kraken, we're talking INGO kraken rules - the idea that, when convenient to a person's preferred narrative, nothing can be accepted that was not adjudicated by a court

Your claimed non-support for Romney and McCain hasn't even been presented for trial let alone taken up by a court, thus I am free to conclude there is no evidence to support your claim

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Still completely full.

The swamp was just as full when Trump left office as when he took office... not a drop drained.

Tell me how I'm wrong?
    Just as full? I think it was revealed just how packed it was. Much larger than most truly thought. The good Trump did is obvious, people who care are more aware of the swamp occupants that previously thought.

I think that is a good thing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Deflectcon 4, I see

We're not talking literal Kraken, we're talking INGO kraken rules - the idea that, when convenient to a person's preferred narrative, nothing can be accepted that was not adjudicated by a court

Your claimed non-support for Romney and McCain hasn't even been presented for trial let alone taken up by a court, thus I am free to conclude there is no evidence to support your claim
    Uh. I think you’re making up the rules as you go. You’re claiming I have standards I’ve never used. The only thing I recal about courts and the election is that the proper place to address the claimed voting anomolies is the courts. I’ve also pointed out the courts haven’t ruled favorably for any of the suits Trump has filed regarding the election.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's not a literal swamp. You can't measure the water level, so you have no frame of reference to make such a claim

No. The swamp isn't literal. One can say Trump did not drain any swamp if Trump did not remove anyone for being part of the swamp during his presidency.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No. The swamp isn't literal. One can say Trump did not drain any swamp if Trump did not remove anyone for being part of the swamp during his presidency.
    Ahh, but the claim is it is 'just as full when Trump left office as when he took office'.

Really? How would he be able to tell? Wouldn't that require two complete censuses of all the swamp dwellers? Is it realistic to believe that Trump wasn't responsible for the firing of any of them? Is it not possible that hiring of new swamp dwellers might outpace any 'freeing up the future' of any that Trump was responsible for? So even a net gain of dwellers might not be evidence to support the claim. Much more granular information would be needed to prove that claim anything more than hyperbole

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ahh, but the claim is it is 'just as full when Trump left office as when he took office'.

Really? How would he be able to tell? Wouldn't that require two complete censuses of all the swamp dwellers? Is it realistic to believe that Trump wasn't responsible for the firing of any of them? Is it not possible that hiring of new swamp dwellers might outpace any 'freeing up the future' of any that Trump was responsible for? So even a net gain of dwellers might not be evidence to support the claim. Much more granular information would be needed to prove that claim anything more than hyperbole
    So you're banking on attrition draining it? Because Trump didn't. You're counting on a point that doesn't really serve you. The whole discussion is about Trump not draining any of the swamp.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So you're banking on attrition draining it? Because Trump didn't. You're counting on a point that doesn't really serve you. The whole discussion is about Trump not draining any of the swamp.
    No, I'm not counting on anything

You have no data for comparison, the claim is specious by inspection

Do you think every time Trump's actions caused some mid-level bureaucrat to be fired it made the news? He could have been responsible for the termination of hundreds and you would never know it, you are again claiming knowledge you could not have

Had you limited the claim to department heads you might have a better case, but it sounds so much more leg-tinglingly delicious to claim Trump accomplished nothing to that end I can see why SD4L wanted so desperately to go there. I'm only making the point to you because you jumped in as his mouthpiece

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, I'm not counting on anything

You have no data for comparison, the claim is specious by inspection

Do you think every time Trump's actions caused some mid-level bureaucrat to be fired it made the news? He could have been responsible for the termination of hundreds and you would never know it, you are again claiming knowledge you could not have

Had you limited the claim to department heads you might have a better case, but it sounds so much more leg-tinglingly delicious to claim Trump accomplished nothing to that end I can see why SD4L wanted so desperately to go there. I'm only making the point to you because you jumped in as his mouthpiece

C'mon man. The government swamp is people in government with power who use their positions to affect policy apart from executive authority. Unelected bureaucrats yes. But with power. People like to call this the deep state. To the extent that the deep state exists, that's what I think of as the swamp. Mid level managers are nothing; they come and go without impact to administrative power.

So, again, what actions did Trump take as president to drain any real ass swamp creatures? And I mean people with actual power. We're not lowering the bar down to janitor here. And we don't care about mid level managers or low level bean counters, the absence of which would not cause the slightest dip in administrative power abuse.

And I'm not speaking for anyone. Whoever else is involved in this part of the conversation can make their own points. You made a point I thought was a misstep in logic and pointed it out.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    WHAT? I can be wrong, and if I am wrong, I am certain you will correct me.

Did Trump ever say he was going to remove people from the swamp? All I remember is “drain the swamp”; quite a difference from removing people from the swamp.

When you drain something, it allows you to see what is actually inside. Think of it as a pool. You may know it is dirty but once you drain it, it become clear just how dirty it was.

I think he did just that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    WHAT? I can be wrong, and if I am wrong, I am certain you will correct me.

Did Trump ever say he was going to remove people from the swamp? All I remember is “drain the swamp”; quite a difference from removing people from the swamp.

When you drain something, it allows you to see what is actually inside. Think of it as a pool. You may know it is dirty but once you drain it, it become clear just how dirty it was.

I think he did just that.
    I've never seen that meaning anywhere.

The phrase "drain the swamp" has been used by politicians since the 1980s to refer to reducing the influence of special interests and lobbyists. It can also allude to the physical removal of water from marshy areas to keep mosquito populations low in order to combat malaria.3 The phrase was popularized by President Ronald Reagan in 1980, who called to "drain the swamp" of bureaucracy in Washington, and created the Grace Commission, which identified $424 billion of wasteful government spending that could be cut.2 Donald Trump repeated the phrase in a tweet in 2017, adding the hashtag #draintheswamp for good measure.1 The phrase is especially attractive for politicians during campaign, vowing to drain the swamp of big government.0

From what I can find Trump said this.
    At a Wisconsin rally last October, Trump announced, "It is time to drain the swamp in Washington, D.C. This is why I'm proposing a package of ethics reforms to make our government honest once again."
    But Trump had a plan. Trump promised to impose stronger "revolving door" rules, which basically say an official cannot leave government and then start lobbying his or her former colleagues. He did what he said he would do: Set a five-year revolving-door ban for his appointees; it's in an executive order on ethics he issued in January.

He also said he would ask Congress for a five-year lobbying ban on senators, representatives and top staffers. (They currently face one- or two-year bans under separate House and Senate rules.) There's no record of the White House actually making that request.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom